cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

where to replace popup trailer tires?

vincentru
Explorer
Explorer
Excuse me,where to replace popup trailer tires?Good Year or other place?

thanks,
vincent
16 REPLIES 16

re2boys
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Any tire store.

Make sure to get the same load rating as original or higher.

I got my last set at Sam's Club.

I'm leary of Sam's Club after I bought a replacement tire in Sept 2013 but in May 2014 had deep cracks in sidewalls, like it dry rotted over the winter. Probably had 10 miles on it. Never again (did get my money back for tire).
RE2Boys

Ryanincc
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of people, myself included, buy the trailer tires and wheels together online, and put them on yourself. Save the old ones for winter storage. You can find name brand FRESH quality tires (I prefer Kenda tires) for cheaper than the walk-in stores. The best deal Ive found for my tire size, ST185/80D13-D, are at TrailerTiresAndWheels.com with free mount, balance, and shipping to your door. A buddy got 9 week old tires from there. I'll be shopping there before summer. Another place is etrailer.com. I do suggest you call to ask specifically what the date code is on the tires they are going to send to you to make sure. The date codes are on the tire. 4 digits representing the week and year the tire was made. 3514 would indicate that they were made in the 35th week of 2014. Replace your tires every 5 years no matter what they look like. Good Luck.
2011 Coleman Sun Valley, 1997 4Runner V6

Pam_s_Dennis
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a popup I took it to the same local tire store that takes care of my cars. They replaced the tires, packed the bearings and I was good to go at a very reasonable price and quickly. They did the same when I purchased a used class c and had to buy tires. It's hard to beat a local small business that has been in the tire business for two generations.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're in CA hopefully there is a Discount Tire nearby. They'll try to sell you Carlisle tires which are ok but it's worth it to order Maxxis if they don't have them in stock. Not a fan of Goodyear Marathons. Had a few blowouts with them.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

phil-l
Explorer
Explorer
One item to consider: Many automotive shops do not have the correct equipment to balance trailer wheel/tire combinations.

Most trailer wheels are "lug centric", while most automotive wheels are "hub centric". This matters when balancing. Feel free to Google something like "trailer wheel lug centric hub balance" for more info.

I had to hunt around to find a shop with a lug-centric balancing machine.

Of course, after surveying a number of pop-ups and many other trailers, I'm one of the few who bothers to balance trailer wheel/tire combinations...
Phil

'04 Rockwood Roo 25BH
'05 Chevrolet Suburban 2500

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
My sister ordered hers from WalMart online
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

Intheloonybin
Explorer
Explorer
I buy mine at Discount tire. The first set of tires they replaced on my pup were underrated for the weight of our pup (3300 lbs loaded). I didn't notice the discrepancy until the first trip towing the camper. They did NOT handle well (understatement!). Discount tire happily put on different tires rated for the camper weight. Plus, I bought the incorrect ones for a different trailer- at a discount.
HVAC/R tech.
2006 GMC Envoy XL 4.2 I6 1999 Coleman Niagara
2 Great girls 19 and 17
1 Great wife
1 Wonderful Goldendoodle

Wine_Maker
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. Most tire places will carry the trailer tires that you need.

Good luck.
Happy in the woods.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lost one tire with very little mileage on it when several cross country trips down very bumpy I59 in North ALA shook out my wheel alignment weights on one side. I replaced my 15-inch tires POPUP tires with GOODYEAR ALL TERRAIN LT's.

I have always pulled my own trailer tires at home and take them to tire dealer for replacement.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Ask at your local repair garage. The guys at the independent shop I go to have campers themselves so are used to working on them. Tire price might be the same or even less than "discount" places... make sure when comparing prices you include mounting, fees, taxes, etc. Usually those great advertised tire prices you see from large stores are not the complete mounted price.

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
As mentioned, any tire store. Beside the weight rating. the other thing to look for, is the date of build. Many tire shops keep trailer tires for years before selling. Specify you want new one, no more than a couple months old. One month would be best.

+1......look at the weight rating you're running currently, and read what your max weight is on your Pop Up....make sure they match at minimum. When we bought new tires, our old ones were right at the limit according to what the camper specs read......we upgraded to a higher rated tire
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
"and they KNOW how to work on campers. "

There is no special training or knowledge to install new tires on a trailer. The RV dealer will probably have low volume tire sales and therefore a higher cost. Not to mention they will charge their shop rate to install the tires.

Biker1mike
Explorer
Explorer
I go to the RV shop where I bought the pop-up. Sure it cost a little more but they keep the stock moving and they KNOW how to work on campers.
Mike
'12 Honda Ridgeline pulling '07 Rockwood pop-up

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
As mentioned, any tire store. Beside the weight rating. the other thing to look for, is the date of build. Many tire shops keep trailer tires for years before selling. Specify you want new one, no more than a couple months old. One month would be best.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers