cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which GMC 3500SRW for BIGFOOT 25C9.6

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
....Suggestions when we get a Bigfoot 25C9.6 please....Thinking of getting the .6LB & Long Bed truck to keep more of the weight in front of rear axle as opposed to getting the .6SB and a Short Bed truck.....COG is 43”.....Dry 2940#; Wet 4077#.....Would also do tires, suspension, sway upgrades......Your suggestions please...Bonus points if you have a BIGFOOT!!!
27 REPLIES 27

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Was curious so went down and looked at a GMC dually, they put the truck camper sticker in the glove box, with the diesel which is heavier and might effect the weight it was still only rated at 3933#. So engineering wise the 10.4 would still be over recommended.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have wanted a Bigfoot TC since day one so I follow these threads.I never have been one to weigh my TC's but since there is a certified grain scale a block away,I do from time to time for kicks mostly.

Rear axle weight has my curiosity and yours got me thinking about it.So I unplugged my Lance 9.6 full ready to camp minus beer and pop and down 1/2 a tank on one of the two tanks(maybe 10 gal)..9820 pounds total with 3760 on the front for 6060 on the rear axle..

I am very curious what a 10.4 or 10.6 Bigfoot would put my rear axle at so thanks for sharing your weights with the brand new Bigfoot!
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
FAWR is 5600, RAWR is 6700 door sticker. 10k# GAWR.

The 7,000# total and 4000# front and 3000# rear weights were from a landfill scale so close but not real accurate.

Truck, trailer, or tires. Looking at setting it on a gooseneck trailer at the moment. Everything has +/-.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds familiar. I think I was 4400+/- pretty heavily loaded for 2 weeks of fishing and racing.
Where are you with the rear axle rating? I gained 200# I think on my front axle, with fresh water tank full.
You going to bigger wheels & tires?
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
I guess not last and not least, I'll add this to this thread since I have gone this far, not about the 9.6 but 10.4 buyers/owners may find it just the same.

I weighed the loaded truck and camper at the Cat scales and didn't see what I was hoping to find.

A 2019 10.4 with honda generator and full drinking water, no gray or black, series 24 battery, full propane, empty fridge, hitch extension to the rear, steps not attached, and a little misc but certainly not filled with living necessities, weighs in the areaa of 4200-4300#.

Truck ( full fuel and driver-7000#) with camper as above weighed 11,200#.

Steer axle unloaded went from 4000# to 3660# loaded with camper.

Rear axle unloaded went from 3000# to 7540# loaded with camper.

So even though the truck drove fine and the springs at the rear still had plenty of travel, the rear srw OEM 18" tires rated at 3525# each are overloaded by at least 500# at the axle, probably more since the fuel tank is left side only.

I was hoping more weight would be on the front axle with the regular cab but it appears with the overhang at the rear weight is transferred to the rear axle.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
And last but not least, the COG of the 10.4 not including the bumpers is marked 50" from the front bulkhead. I marked the axle centerline of the GMC 3500 and with the camper loaded the COG is still an easy 2" front of the axle centerline.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
The rear tailgate uprights are 59" wide, the width of the 10.4 at the uprights is 57 1/2", with a large radius at the bottom. I figure the camper needs to be elevated 1 1/2" to clear the radius.

Also the in bed 7 way female plug is at a position where the open cap conflicts with the camper and the male portion is up against the camper, there is enough harness to move this receiver plug to a better position using a 2 1/8" or 2 1/4" hole saw.

And be aware the truck bed is not pool table flat.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Just drove 500+ miles with a variable 20 kt. crosswind. No problems driving 65-70mph. 75 would push a lot of air and porpoise wickedly but the truck didn't mind. I think I can fix that with a better tie down strategy. The 10.4 is a keeper and the detail and quality are top notch so far. The camper is estimated to weigh a little less then 3400# dry but hasn't been put on the scale by myself.

MPG outbound unloaded was around 13 at 80 mph. MPG inbound was around 10 at 65 mph.

I am not sure if the sway bar is needed.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Marcela.... please keep me posted on the 10.4 & handling....

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 GMC 3500 4 wd reg cab srw with 6.0, 5th wheel package.

It weighs 7000# with myself and a full tank of gas, 3000# on the rear axle. The tires are 18" which gives me around 4000# to put on the rear axle. There are tires that can raise that value also.

Brand new we pulled a gooseneck trailer with van on top which weighed around 10k#, pulled 70 mph easily, got 7 mpg and that is break in mpg avg unloaded/loaded.

I have gotten a high of 15.1 mpg mostly highway and around 13 mixed so far unloaded, 3000 miles so far. Key to this is getting your alignment checked and spec no more then .060 in total, My machine wouldn't do the large tires so I stringed it for straight ahead with maybe a little toe in, you can tell the difference driving while new when everything is still tight. A truck this heavy with big tires is going to be sensitive to alignment and how it effects mpg, coming off the assy line they set them pretty coarse. The 7 mpg was factory alignment and it looked like it was a good 3/16".

Getting the engine broke in quick is a key also, after the trailer pull I drained the oil and watched the glitter come out with the oil.

I have the Bigfoot 10.4 I am getting ready to load, so I'll see how this works out. I also put a Hellwig sway bar on the back and the truck has the snow plow prep package.

I really like the tight turning radius of the reg cab long bed chevrolet.

Another thing, if you have the 5th wheel prep package or aftermarket, you can make a plug to insert into the 5th wheel hole that extends above the bed enough to keep the plywood sheet from moving. I made a plug out of hedge on a lathe then center your plywood sheet and put a hole through it.

And you know what, if things get a little out of hand hauling the camper, I'll just go a little slower. I know, hard to believe.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut.....Already planned...Thanks....

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you go the SRW route do yourself a favor and start out with 19.5 wheels and tires(245/70R19.5) At least then you know that you are not going to suffer a blow out from the load.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well the numbers are the numbers. You can put mud flaps, different tires, or anything else on a SRW truck, but you can't change the numbers. I've done it. I had a cabover on a light duty 1982 F250. Had to add overload springs, but I went all over the west with it. Did it drive OK? Yeah mostly. Was I overloaded? Yeah legally. Would I do that again? No.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
...So looked again at NL, and might consider their 9-6 Classic SE LB & 10-2EXCD LB...Might be worthwhile to visit both factories this fall.....Still thinking SRW.....