cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which motor should we get.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided to bit the bullet and get a new to us truck. We have a Chev with a 5.7 L and 220,000 miles. I am not against buying any of the big 3, Chev, Ford, Dodge. With that said, my last post was on the 6L diesel Ford and that was a BIG NO for sure. After looking at auto trader here is a list of different motors that I have looked at. Can anyone give me any info good or bad on the listed motors. I pull a 5000 pound Fun Finder. Have not made up my mind on ½ ton or ¾ ton, but leaning toward the ¾ ton

Chev
5.3 L gas
6L gas
8.1L gas
6.6 TD

Ford
5.4L gas
6.2L gas
6.4L TD
6.7L D

Dodge
5.7L gas
5.9L D
6.7L D
60 REPLIES 60

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
flat_twin wrote:
captnjack wrote:
In my experience, working with cash does not help you; it actually hurts. Dealers make money off of financing.

Apparently they do. I knew I'd have to borrow a little to trade up to the F250 and would use my credit union. The dealer insisted his banks could beat their rates. I said show me in writing. He did. I took those rates back to my credit union and they lowered their rates to beat what the dealer offered. This went back and forth twice. In the end I borrowed from my credit union as I planned but I saved roughly $800 thanks to the dealer insisting he could do better.

Nice work. "everything is negotiable" is my mantra!
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

flat_twin
Explorer
Explorer
captnjack wrote:
In my experience, working with cash does not help you; it actually hurts. Dealers make money off of financing.

Apparently they do. I knew I'd have to borrow a little to trade up to the F250 and would use my credit union. The dealer insisted his banks could beat their rates. I said show me in writing. He did. I took those rates back to my credit union and they lowered their rates to beat what the dealer offered. This went back and forth twice. In the end I borrowed from my credit union as I planned but I saved roughly $800 thanks to the dealer insisting he could do better.

flat_twin
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Smith wrote:
Well the dealer came back with a offer and we are the proud owner of a 2009 F250 Crew cab, with the 5.4 and a topper on the back. We fell in love with the power mirrors, press the button and they extend out, and the topper was on our list of must haves. It for sure has a ton of room. We paid $26,000 when it was all said and done. Not sure if that was a good deal or not. But its ours now. The best part, we have been saving for two years and paid cash for it. No monthly payments.

You did just fine Dennis. It was the same kind of deal I was looking for not that long ago. I shopped for weeks online and in person last fall looking for a 3/4 ton crew cab to replace our Tundra ex cab. I found an extremely clean 08 F250 CC Lariat V10 with a known history and got it for 25k.
I think getting a nice fiberglass cap makes your deal a little better because I miss the one I had on my Tundra. The Ford came with a nice roll back soft tonneau cover and we're going to try to get by with that.
I have towed just a couple times with the F250 and the factory brake controller worked just fine. Heavy duty suspension and brakes make the towing experience a lot less stressful.
Enjoy your F-250!!

facory
Explorer
Explorer
You should be happy with the 5.4L engine. Plenty of pulling power. Acceptable mpg. Also great for driving without the trailer as an everyday vehicle. My 2006 F150 has the towing package with the 3:73 rear axle. Great all around gearing.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Smith wrote:
Well the dealer came back with a offer and we are the proud owner of a 2009 F250 Crew cab, with the 5.4 and a topper on the back. We fell in love with the power mirrors, press the button and they extend out, and the topper was on our list of must haves. It for sure has a ton of room. We paid $26,000 when it was all said and done. Not sure if that was a good deal or not. But its ours now. The best part, we have been saving for two years and paid cash for it. No monthly payments.

nice to see common sense thinking. New is great but less stress is better.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a gas engine and 4.10 gears and you can pull the trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup. Test drive the 3 makes of 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks and see how they handle and how comfortable they are to drive. Big difference in the ride of most 3/4 and 1-ton trucks with their solid front axles.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dennis Smith wrote:
color silver, weight a lot, 6300 pound, name= no payment.

Got to love the single payment method! Great name!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
color silver, weight a lot, 6300 pound, name= no payment.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dennis Smith wrote:
Oh one other thing, it has the built in Ford brake controller, does anyone have that and does it work well?

On my '06 Ford it works great. I set it when we got it and have not needed to adjust it since.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations!!! What color, how much does it weigh, what did you name it? :B

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Oh one other thing, it has the built in Ford brake controller, does anyone have that and does it work well?

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
For the weight your wanting to tow the choice is all yours, any of the engines you mentioned are up to the task even here in Colorado. Just understand you will be revving the gassers a bit cruising the mountains, no big deal, won't hurt em. You should be able to get a decent break on the outgoing GM heavy duty gasser's or diesel's once the 15' hd's hit the lots.

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Smith wrote:
The deal fell through with the 2009 F250 crew cab. The dealer came with in $1600 of what I offered but couldn't close the deal. I don't have car fever so I walked. that was Monday night, we will see if they give me a call prior to the first. The Ford dealer here in town was nice but wasn't going to deal with me. Oh well back to the drawing board and looking again. this is a cash deal and I am in no hurry. So I feel like I am in control, and with gas going back up to $4.00 a gallon I have a feeling they will have a hard time moving the big trucks.

I just bought a 2012 F350 XL DRW 6.2 (gas) CC LWB 4X4 for $28.5K with 45,000 miles on it. It looks new and there isn't a scratch on it. I think you would be paying too much for that 2009. Keep looking around -- there are deals out there. I tend to prefer the basic trim levels for simplicity and you can save a lot that way.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg