cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one?

Eyetattoo
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at installing either the Reese Elite Gooseneck under bed set up with pucks or the B&W Turnover ball set up.

I will be using the truck to tow a 5th wheel toy hauler. Hoping I can use the Reese Goose Box to keep my bed clear. Might not be able to due to the 6.5 bed.

The Reese will cost $500 more. What would you guys go with?
2015 2500HD Duramax LTZ Crew Cab
2005 26' Attitude Toy Hauler
2007 GSXR600
2004 YFZ450
2006 TRX90
2013 Raptor 90
2007 Raptor 350

Is it time to camp yet?!
9 REPLIES 9

jstar
Explorer
Explorer
jstar wrote:
Eyetattoo wrote:
jstar wrote:
I bought a used Reese Goose box from a guy who bought a one year old trailer and wanted the 5th wheel set up. It had only been used to pull the trailer to a site where the first owner lived in the RV while building their house so about 90 mile pull then the guy I bought it from bought the trailer from them and pulled it home and removed it about another 50 or so miles so it was virtually brand new. I paid $600 for it but had to buy some adapter plates for my application for $50 and I also bought brand new grade 8 bolts nuts and washers etc for about another $40 so around $700 for the set up. I have only done a test run pull of about 3 miles or so through the neighborhood so far but man what a difference. It's a little harder to hook up, more like a tongue pull but once hooked up the drive is soooo much sweeter. No chucking at all. Highly recommend one of these systems so far. I will report back after my 3.5 hour pull at the end of the month.
Do you have a long or standard bed?

8' long bed.

My brother has a new Nissan Titan and has one on his 5er I believe his bed is 6.5 and he loves it.
jstar

jstar
Explorer
Explorer
Eyetattoo wrote:
jstar wrote:
I bought a used Reese Goose box from a guy who bought a one year old trailer and wanted the 5th wheel set up. It had only been used to pull the trailer to a site where the first owner lived in the RV while building their house so about 90 mile pull then the guy I bought it from bought the trailer from them and pulled it home and removed it about another 50 or so miles so it was virtually brand new. I paid $600 for it but had to buy some adapter plates for my application for $50 and I also bought brand new grade 8 bolts nuts and washers etc for about another $40 so around $700 for the set up. I have only done a test run pull of about 3 miles or so through the neighborhood so far but man what a difference. It's a little harder to hook up, more like a tongue pull but once hooked up the drive is soooo much sweeter. No chucking at all. Highly recommend one of these systems so far. I will report back after my 3.5 hour pull at the end of the month.

8' long bed.
jstar

Eyetattoo
Explorer
Explorer
jstar wrote:
2015 2500HD Duramax LTZ Crew Cab
2005 26' Attitude Toy Hauler
2007 GSXR600
2004 YFZ450
2006 TRX90
2013 Raptor 90
2007 Raptor 350

Is it time to camp yet?!

jstar
Explorer
Explorer
jstar

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
The Reese Elite uses a pop-in ball similar to the OEM setup in Ram and Ford. There is a flip up latch built into the ball that locks and releases the ball from the receiver.

Reese Elite Gooseneck Hitch

The B&W uses a square shank and has a lever in the driver wheel well you pull to release the ball.

Either one works just fine so it's a matter of ball choice and price for you.

This is from the Reese Goose Box Product Overview
Reese wrote:
**World’s first OE approved gooseneck adapter, Endorsed by Lippert Components, Inc. for their frame systems

**Fits Lippert #1621 and #1716 wing sets
-For 1716 style wing sets #61301 spacer kit is required

**5th Airborne™ expertise reduces stress transferred to the RV frame

**Independent lab tested & proven to provide a better ride than king pin“bolt-on” adapter solutions (Bosch Automotive Proving Grounds)

It seems like a pretty nice option if you want a gooseneck only system in your truck. In fact, I kinda wish I'd known about this when I bought my 5th wheel in 2016. I could have installed just the OEM Gooseneck in my Ram and called it done.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
The gooseneck may well void your rv warranty, these trailers are not designed to withstand the stresses created by a gooseneck. Look at a gooseneck horse trailer and see the massive structure of the gooseneck. Fifth wheel do not have that. So save 500 now and damage your fiver to the tune of thousands later.
The Reese Goose Box does not void the warranty on a Lippert frame. Please read up on it. I am considering one for my new truck and GD 337RLS.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The Reese Goosebox is (or at least was) approved by Lippert.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running the B&W turnover ball and the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I only tow a couple times a year so want my bed flat almost exclusively. When the hitch isn't in the bed I do put a mat down to cover the turnover ball.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The gooseneck may well void your rv warranty, these trailers are not designed to withstand the stresses created by a gooseneck. Look at a gooseneck horse trailer and see the massive structure of the gooseneck. Fifth wheel do not have that. So save 500 now and damage your fiver to the tune of thousands later.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper