cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which roof is better?

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Was recently posting on the TC blog about switching out of my fiver to a TC, but with the help of those on that blog, I decided that a more fitting camper for me would be a TT. Now, just curious, is there a consensus regarding what type of roof is better and more resistant to UV and leaks, i.e. fiberglass, rubber, aluminum? The fact is that my next camper, just like my present one, will never be covered so I'm looking to see what peeps think will be the best able to handle the elements under my circumstances?
45 REPLIES 45

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
duplicate 😞

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
What about TPO vs EPDM? I thought a lot of manufacturers are now using TPO instead of EPDM? We have a TPO roof and it *seems* like it's pretty durable - not exactly easy to clean tho. EPDM is very slippy to walk on whereas TPO is easy in comparison.

I understand one downside to TPO can be the felt-like backing and if moisture gets to the underside of the TPO and trapped, it can damage the roof deck.

Some info. on RV EPDM roofing at rv-roof-top.com Comparison of TPO vs EPDM here.

Problem is, there aren't any enforceable industry standards that RV manufacturers have to follow for EPDM or other material and it's installation so they can use the thinnest and least substantial of materials and least expensive method of installation (including roof deck).

AppFire
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my used TT last year it was needing a roof replaced. The whole thing had rotted completely. I replaced the entire roof, joists, ceiling etc and used aluminum for the roof. Took a couple of weeks work as I got time, but well worth it. I won't have to replace it ever again.
2017 Silverado Crew cab LT Max tow package
2003 Jayco Qwest 244

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
I had a EPDM roof that was properly maintained, not damaged, caulked frequently, etc. and at 5 years service the membrane started failing. Moisture was leaking through the membrane. This is obviously an expensive issue and the 12 year rubber roof warranty that all manufacturers advertise is totally worthless. Try to make a claim and see how far that gets you.

SoundGuy wrote:
A misstatement of fact. The 12 yr roof warranty is on the membrane itself, not the trailer roof, and is not offered by "all manufacturers" but rather by the membrane manufacturer which in the majority of cases will be Alpha Systems. If your rubber roof membrane was thinning to the point where it was leaking before the 12 yr mark any claim would have had to have been made to the manufacturer of the membrane.

Bumpyroad wrote:
sort of picking nits here aren't we? it still boils down to an EPDM roof sucking.

Nitpicking? :h Either the roof is covered under warranty for 12 yrs or it's not - the correct answer is that no trailer manufacturer offers a 12 yr warranty on any roof. 12 yr warranties apply solely to the membrane itself and that warranty has nothing to do with the trailer manufacturer which assembled the roof.

As I said earlier I'd personally prefer to not have an EPDM roof but the reality is that the vast majority of trailers are built using this product because it's the most cost effective method ... the fact that we as consumers have to later stand on our heads to ensure our EPDM roof doesn't leak is just one of many issues the RV industry at large should improve upon significantly but we all know that with current sales being what they are we're more likely to see a squadron of flying pigs than meaningful improvement in the RV manufacturing industry. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Sucking or learning how to take care of it. To me it's the
same as changing the oil on a car. There's nothing up there
that can't be done by a diy'r. I change my oil and maintain
my roof! Not rocket science.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
I had a EPDM roof that was properly maintained, not damaged, caulked frequently, etc. and at 5 years service the membrane started failing. Moisture was leaking through the membrane. This is obviously an expensive issue and the 12 year rubber roof warranty that all manufacturers advertise is totally worthless. Try to make a claim and see how far that gets you.

A misstatement of fact. The 12 yr roof warranty is on the membrane itself, not the trailer roof, and is not offered by "all manufacturers" but rather by the membrane manufacturer which in the majority of cases will be Alpha Systems. If your rubber roof membrane was thinning to the point where it was leaking before the 12 yr mark any claim would have had to have been made to the manufacturer of the membrane.

sort of picking nits here aren't we? it still boils down to an EPDM roof sucking.
bumpy

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta - that will be our next big purchase, an RV Flex Armor roof. It will be worth it to us as we plan on keeping our 5W.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
gat75 wrote:

I think you will find that there are practically nothing but TTs with rubber roofs available. Fiberglass would be more durable, you just gonna have a hard time finding fiberglass on anything but MH roof.

lots of small TTs with fiberglass roofs. I wouldn't have another rubber one myself.
bumpy

I was getting ready to make this exact same statement Bumpy, but you beat me to it.

I had my rubber roof replaced with RV Flex Armor (rvroof.com). I will never ever have another rubber roof other than the length of time it takes to take delivery and take it to a rvroof.com install facility.

And now I can even hear the television when it is raining due to the thickness of the RV Flex Armor material.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The EPDM membrane is not that bad of a material. Where RV roofs leak is usually around through holes or at roof edges, not through a deteriorated membrane.

I have an aluminum roof that is coated. I think it's durable. There will probably be few being built with aluminum because of cost.

The newer Line-X type sprays have a lot of promise with some installers offering a lifetime warranty.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Airstreams and the "eggs" like Casita are the only none membrane roofs I can think of.

The industry makes 300,000 TT and Fiver "rubber" roofs a year. How many do you think leak?
One too many...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
gat75 wrote:

I think you will find that there are practically nothing but TTs with rubber roofs available. Fiberglass would be more durable, you just gonna have a hard time finding fiberglass on anything but MH roof.

lots of small TTs with fiberglass roofs. I wouldn't have another rubber one myself.
bumpy

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
gat75 wrote:
I think you will find that there are practically nothing but TTs with rubber roofs available.

Not the case at all, quite a few travel trailers have been and still are manufactured with a TPO roof which is vinyl, not EPDM rubber, my own previous KZ Spree being just one example. Personally I'd much prefer to have a TPO roof on my current Freedom Express but Coachmen like the majority of other manufacturers chose to use crappy EPDM which chalks by it's very nature, is difficult to lay down flat and keep it that way throughout it's life, and will tear if you even look at it sideways. 😞 Regardless, any roof will leak eventually if it's not properly maintained.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Airstreams and the "eggs" like Casita are the only none membrane roofs I can think of.

The industry makes 300,000 TT and Fiver "rubber" roofs a year. How many do you think leak?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
Cajun Bill wrote:
Was recently posting on the TC blog about switching out of my fiver to a TC, but with the help of those on that blog, I decided that a more fitting camper for me would be a TT. Now, just curious, is there a consensus regarding what type of roof is better and more resistant to UV and leaks, i.e. fiberglass, rubber, aluminum? The fact is that my next camper, just like my present one, will never be covered so I'm looking to see what peeps think will be the best able to handle the elements under my circumstances?

I'm new to Rving and I have a 21 ft. TT. It has a rubber roof. I think it's stupid and just waiting to fail.

But, for some reason....the majority of RVs have them. ???