cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which side to put awning and door of TT?

jegarner
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Need advice.

I'm designing a custom trailer, and trying to decide which side to put the door and the awning.

I'm new to RVing so I don't know if there is a benefit to one side versus the other, right or left.

In your experience, is either side preferable?

Thanks for any input!!
12 REPLIES 12

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Entry door(s) and awning on passenger (curb) side.
Sewer, water and electrical hookups on driver (street) side.

I don't recall ever seeing a travel trailer that had the door and awning opposite from that standard. There may be some that have the hookups on the opposite side, maybe I didn't notice.

I certainly like your idea of building an all metal trailer. Should last several years longer than a wood trailer.

You may want to consider building the inside of a metal cargo trailer into an RV, instead of building the entire trailer chassis and body from scratch. Probably save alot of money.

If you build it from a cargo trailer that has a rear ramp door, you can use it as a toyhauler too, and can fold the ramp down flat and screen it in like a tent, as an add on room while camping. They sell those tent/screen rooms for toyhaulers with rear ramp doors.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Unless you are planning to take it to a country where they drive on the left side of the road, Starboard side entrance door makes the most sense. Even a rear door is problematic if you get into a site that backs up against trees and brush.

If you are building it, I would consider a second power inlet on the other side as we do come across sites where the power pedestal is on the wrong side fairly frequently. Of course, incorporate a proper safety in the design so the unused outlet doesn't become a live electrical safety hazard.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jegarner
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much, all! I'll definitely be putting the door and awning, curbside thank to your advice ๐Ÿ™‚

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Years ago we had a small MH that had the awning on the opposite (i.e. street) side of the camper. We would have used it more often had it been on the curbside. (Entrance to the MH was on the rear of the rig.) So I would also vote for putting entrance and awning on curbside.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
most camp grounds have the play area or fire pit on the curb side of the TT

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of the older campgrounds have a power post that services two sites, so one is always on the wrong side.

The usual hook up access is opposite the curb side or as I call it the driver's side. The door and awning are on the passenger side. If you like to camp with friends and do not mind snaking your hook ups under the TT. A door on the opposite side is handy. However the table and fire grate are often on the curb side.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you're in Australia or GBR, locate them on the US curbside.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been to a few campgrounds (including a few USFS ones) that have some camp sites on the wrong side (streetside) of the camping spur.

This leads me to believe that not only do the builders of RVs not ever go camping, but that the builders of some of the campgrounds don't either.

But then maybe these sites were done only with tent campers in mind...and they don't have a street side! ๐Ÿ™‚

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every now and then I run into a camp ground that has one way side streets designated allowing camping on both sides of the one-way drive.

This ends up putting the access door on the street side on the left side of the one way drive. It also puts your city water connection and shore power connections on the wrong side for your trailer as well haha...

When this happens I usually manage to go around the long way and sneak my trailer back into my camping spot going the wrong direction haha.. You see this alot at these camp grounds.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

jegarner
Explorer
Explorer
Oops, yes, thank you-- curb and street side what I meant. You can tell I'm a newbie ๐Ÿ˜›

Okay, so most campgrounds are set up for the awning and door to be on the curb side, then?

I'm doing a custom trailer due to health reasons. I have a severe mold allergy, and most trailers are made with wood and other porous materials that can mold with enough dampness or condensation. So I'm getting a trailer made with nothing but aluminum.

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it depends on your planned use and needs.
As you may observe, nearly all rv units have the access door on the 'curb' or passenger side of the vehicle. This makes a lot of sense, especially if you need to access on the side of a busy road.
PLUS nearly all campgrounds are setup with most spots organized for the table / campfire pit, etc on the 'curb' side of an RV. I do know of a few where two units (usually good friends) can park side by side with the two access doors & awnings facing each other.
I would be interested to know your motivation and desire to design a special, custom TT when there are so many commercial units with thousands of options.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
There is no "right" or "left" as that would depend on from which perspective you're looking at the rig ... rather, it's street side or curb side, the latter of which is the campsite side and the side on which you'd want to locate an entry door and awning. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380