cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck

Jtime
Explorer
Explorer
Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel for there TC? How long have you had it? What TC do you have? What’s are some of the must haves to keep it chugging along happily with TC on top?

Cheers
112 REPLIES 112

7_3driver
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
7.3driver wrote:
Wish I could post a picture from my tablet.

Try this.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

[img][/img]

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
had a 1971 7.3 would tow anything you hooked to it, truck camper and walleye boat from ohio to wis just great.

Lol no you didn’t. No such thing.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh425 wrote:
36guy, sounds like you couldn’t drive a manual shift, didn’t do proper maintenance including oil changes, and modified ito use non OEM parts and it’s Ford’s fault. 😉 At leat, you found something you liked. 😄 That’s really all that matters.

Sounds more like a lemon to me. It happens with all vehicles.
I don’t get the impression that the OP didn’t take care of it. Idk about the input shaft issues though. Not familiar with those trans.
I do know the 7.3s were a cold blooded engine that needed properly operating glow plugs and that good oil change maintenance was imperative on them (and 6.0s) because the HPOPs were good but finicky without frequent quality oil changes.

Every vehicle has its quirks. But there’s quirks and there’s issues and they had quirks, not issues.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
It is funny how some actuall owners feel offended with the true facts.
As I pointed before -7.3 has bulletproof block, but on 20 years old trucks, orings, reservoirs and sensors will fail, so if you still own 1 - read the forum replies and put some preventive maintenance on it, or YOU WILL get strangled.
Final note, when things are relatively easy to fix on 7.3, stupid oil cooler replacement on 6-leaker can exceed older truck value.
Than my 6.7l develop oil pan gasket leak on 2nd year. Suppose stupid gasket replacement require engine pulling. Covered by warranty, so I did not get the bill, but my "new" 1922 Ford Model T doesn't have leaky gasket, so how come 100 years later Ford is still struggling with basic stuff?

How come you complain and bitsch and are always 100% antagonistic?
So you’re saying your new model T is running an original, never opened up engine that not only runs but doesn’t leak?
Aside from not believing that, if it was true, it’s a miracle.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Elk_traveler wrote:
My 7.3L powerstroke is a 1996 and if not mistaken it is a 420ft.lb of torque. It is pure raw diesel power from the ground up. A new Ford diesel the 6.7L engine is and old gasoline converted block that was put in the Ford 392 cu-ft engines in 1962.

I gather you love your old Powerstroke and that’s cool. They are awesome trucks, but this is, one of the funniest, most ill-informed statements I’ve seen on this forum in a while!
Roflmao
Edit guess I was slow on the draw sorry for the repeat

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
It is funny how some actuall owners feel offended with the true facts.
As I pointed before -7.3 has bulletproof block, but on 20 years old trucks, orings, reservoirs and sensors will fail, so if you still own 1 - read the forum replies and put some preventive maintenance on it, or YOU WILL get strangled.
Final note, when things are relatively easy to fix on 7.3, stupid oil cooler replacement on 6-leaker can exceed older truck value.
Than my 6.7l develop oil pan gasket leak on 2nd year. Suppose stupid gasket replacement require engine pulling. Covered by warranty, so I did not get the bill, but my "new" 1922 Ford Model T doesn't have leaky gasket, so how come 100 years later Ford is still struggling with basic stuff?

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Elk_traveler wrote:
....... A new Ford diesel the 6.7L engine is and old gasoline converted block that was put in the Ford 392 cu-ft engines in 1962. ...........

Where’d you get that little tidbit from???

That’s not even close to true. It always amazes me when I run across a new urban legend. It makes me feel like I’m missing out on something :W

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Elk_traveler wrote:
My 7.3L powerstroke is a 1996 and if not mistaken it is a 420ft.lb of torque. It is pure raw diesel power from the ground up. A new Ford diesel the 6.7L engine is and old gasoline converted block that was put in the Ford 392 cu-ft engines in 1962.

Wow, I've read some kooky posts and ideas on here, but I think this one takes the cake.

Two years ago I bought my dad's 2000 F250 7.3 Supercab with the 6 speed manual. I helped him spec it when he bought it. I don't daily drive it, and to be honest I haven't done anything with it yet that any 1/2 ton truck could easily do. When I retire in a couple of years I'm going to get a 26-28' travel trailer and install a Rampage lift to haul my Harley. Some of the mods I'm considering are:

Convert axles to 4.30 gear ratios
Install Gear Vendors overdrive. This will give me twelve possible gears, with roughly the same overall final drive ratio for cruising on the flat while giving me lower gearing for low speed backing, etc. The stock reverse gear in the 6 speed is pretty tall.
Towing chip or tune, aiming for about 300 hp/600 ft./lbs. Nothing too crazy.
South Bend towing clutch or equivalent when the OEM clutch finally wears out.

It's a strong, dependable truck, but my dad's new F350 with the 6.7 towing 10000 lbs would probably out-accelerate mine empty.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
36guy, sounds like you couldn’t drive a manual shift, didn’t do proper maintenance including oil changes, and modified ito use non OEM parts and it’s Ford’s fault. 😉 At leat, you found something you liked. 😄 That’s really all that matters.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who think this was fords finest truck, let me say this...I had a 95, stick, bought new, 215 horse, loved that truck to death. Owned it ten years, 9 fan belts, 3 sets of injector O rings, 2 sets of $500 apiece injectors, 2 alternators, dual mass flywheel gave out under warranty, then again at around 100,000 miles,installed a Luc single mass flywheel and clutch set up, was warned by my tranny guy that the input shaft in the getrag 5 speed would fail because of the clutch upgrade, it did, new transmission happened, that was the last straw.
I pulled a cougar 244 fifth, 10,500 lbs, that old truck did a good job.
Sold it, bought an 07 classic body duramax LBZ, still own that, nothing but oil changes, lotsa miles, best truck I've ever owned, I'll never own a ford again.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
7.3driver wrote:

Try this.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

7_3driver
Explorer
Explorer
Early 1999 F350, crew cab, dully, 8 foot bed, auto trans, w/tow package, 4.10 limited slip. Current mileage 92,500.
My dad bought it new in Dec. 98. He passed away in 08 but not before taking it to the east coast, Chicago, Alaska (arctic circle) and a few other shorter trips, we live in Central Texas. I inherited it upon his passing.

Sold the 5th wheel, did not want something that big.

Early 2020 I started to do some mods to prep for a camper.
Installed a Mishimoto trans cooler, TS performance chip and piller gauge pod (trans temp,fuel pressure, ETG and boost gauges). Installed Rancho RS9000XL shocks all 4 corners. Already have Firestone air bags that my dad installed.
Found someone selling a complete Torklift camper frame mounts and 20k hitch.

That's the truck.

Bought a 2000 Bigfoot 25c10.6 around Aug. last year and in the process of fixing a few issues. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
PastorCharlie wrote:
The 1996 7.3 is listed as having 215 HP and 450 ft. lb. torque.

The beauty of these engines was they are so under powered and so over built hence why they are lasting hundreds of thousands of miles. After extensive mods like I have done, I'm pushing between 400hp and 450hp guestimated by the mechanic that did the work (and use to drag race a 7.3 Excursion). I'm not going to the track and I don't make a habit of driving with a lead foot but I very much appreciate the power and responsiveness I now have.

The way I see it about the only significant detractor of the 7.3 is how loud it is in the cab. That is ultimately what may force us to upgrade to something newer. We plan to be on the road for three months at a time and unless I can figure out how to get some significant sound deadening, the wife won't be happy listening to the roar of the engine on the open highway nearly as much as I would.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
The 1996 7.3 is listed as having 215 HP and 450 ft. lb. torque.

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
My 7.3L powerstroke is a 1996 and if not mistaken it is a 420ft.lb of torque. It is pure raw diesel power from the ground up. A new Ford diesel the 6.7L engine is and old gasoline converted block that was put in the Ford 392 cu-ft engines in 1962. The International 7.3L diesel was designed from scratch as a diesel engine. The torque delivered is sustained power even under max load whereas the new Ford engines only deliver instant and temporary power and cannot be sustained which is whats make the old 7.3L a better engine to begin with for diesel power. Sure it has a lot of bells and whistles and chinese electronics so you can pay more money to buy but that is all. My truck has less than 77K. I think at the time the first maintenance was scheduled for the 100,000 mile mark which I never reached. I have thus far done all the maintenance myself and as state 90% if miles came from traveling the Rockies of Wyoming, Montana and Colorado towing towing and 5th wheels. The last 5th wheel was a 33 footer weighing 14K and I traveled the Beartooth Highway down from Red Montana with it. After so many years and getting old we gone to motorhome with V10 engine which is a joke compared the to the old 7.3L which is now in the garage and I make the rounds to car shows with it.