cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why an F250 over F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab

River_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
Given both truck would be SRW, why pick a F250 over the F350. The price is very close and just wonder what am I missing?

I have always picked the F350 in the past when I plowed snow, but I am no longer plowing.
44 REPLIES 44

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to fishon
I have a 2002 model truck that is a one ton. They came with three different differentials.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
changing the emblems reminded me of the old days when I ran an early 99 Ford rattler. The powerstroke emblem was the small one on the front of the front fender. I peeled those off and installed 2000 ones on the sides of the doors. The big dogs let me get off the porch after that. :B

Now that's funny. I still have the Power Stroke words over the V8 emblem on the inside of the lid of my toolbox from my old 7.3. Now I'm tempted to take the "C" off of my fenders and put 1500 emblems on the door just to mess with people.
Puma 30RKSS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
PopBeavers wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Possible benefits, of the F250:
Better ride.
Lower cost for tags.
Lower insurance cost.
Less height to fit in a garage.
Local parking restrictions.

My F350 fits in my garage with no problems. Not counting the antenna, I have about 2 inches of clearance with stock wheels.

That's why I said "possible" because not all garages and F350's are created equal. With different springs, spring blocks and wheel sizes, that 2" can disappear especially if a topper is used.

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Possible benefits, of the F250:
Better ride.
Lower cost for tags.
Lower insurance cost.
Less height to fit in a garage.
Local parking restrictions.

My F350 fits in my garage with no problems. Not counting the antenna, I have about 2 inches of clearance with stock wheels.
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ricatic wrote:
ppine wrote:
I agree about the leaf springs and differentials. The bearing are also somewhat different on the one ton. I bought one in 2002 and would not trade it for a brand new Japanese truck.

It amazes me that this error remains in the Ford literature and is subsequently regurgitated here by posters...the axle diameter difference in the literature only applies to the axle assembly on the dually F350 which is supplied by Dana...the SRW F350 and the F250 use identical Ford Sterling manufactured assemblies...in fact...according to my BIL who is the number 2 in command at Ford Axle Sterling in Sterling Heights, Mi, has told me that the assemblies are not identified at the plant as to whether they will be installed is a F350 or F250...that decision is made at the truck plant and is determined by brakes, springs and the spacer block that are installed on the identical axle assemblies shipped from the Ford Sterling Axle plant..

Regards

Ricatic,
Ford no longer uses the Sterling assembly on the SRW F350 starting in 2017.

The Visteon Sterling axle is still used on the gasser F250 and F350 SRW. The Dana 275 is now used in the F350 SRW when the diesel is optioned. I have not verified if the F250 diesel is using the new Dana or old Visteon. The Ford documentation has not kept up with these changes.

All F250 use the Sterling axle

All F350 SRW use the Dana M275 axle

All F350 DRW use the massive M300 axle with a 11.8" ring gear

I included a picture of the M275 axle that's used in the F350 SRW truck. It's a more robust unit compared to the Sterling unit that's been used for many years but is still a rock solid unit.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bedlam
FishOnOne wrote:
ricatic wrote:
ppine wrote:
I agree about the leaf springs and differentials. The bearing are also somewhat different on the one ton. I bought one in 2002 and would not trade it for a brand new Japanese truck.

It amazes me that this error remains in the Ford literature and is subsequently regurgitated here by posters...the axle diameter difference in the literature only applies to the axle assembly on the dually F350 which is supplied by Dana...the SRW F350 and the F250 use identical Ford Sterling manufactured assemblies...in fact...according to my BIL who is the number 2 in command at Ford Axle Sterling in Sterling Heights, Mi, has told me that the assemblies are not identified at the plant as to whether they will be installed is a F350 or F250...that decision is made at the truck plant and is determined by brakes, springs and the spacer block that are installed on the identical axle assemblies shipped from the Ford Sterling Axle plant..

Regards

Ricatic,

The Visteon Sterling axle is still used on the gasser F250 and F350 SRW. The Dana 275 is now used in the F350 SRW when the diesel is optioned. I have not verified if the F250 diesel is using the new Dana or old Visteon. The Ford documentation has not kept up with these changes.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
Nice to hear from Ricatic again.

chevman

I agree!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard to tell from that thread and from differing literature put out by Ford, but it looks like their might be mechanical differences between the F250 and F350 SRW models now. In the past there was minimal difference (another leaf and a spacer block). A simple set of air bags could stiffen up the suspension and make a F250 carry as much, or more, than a F350.

That being said, it appears that the F250 has the same components as last years F350 had. Once again, it is obvious that the F250 is simply de-rated on paper to meet the 10K GVWR requirements.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Some information on 2017 rear axles in this thread: Axles

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ricatic wrote:
ppine wrote:

Regards

Ricatic,

What are they using? Are they still using the Dana 80 in the F350 DRW?
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:

chevman

x2. Welcome back!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I took the emblems off my truck so nobody would know what it is! Lol! Funny though I still have people ask.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ricatic wrote:
ppine wrote:

Regards

Ricatic,
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"