cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Hemi Going Away

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
So here's the official reason why Stellantis is ditching the Hemi. To add injury to insult the Hemi is a cash cow for Tesla.

Link

Link 2
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
55 REPLIES 55

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Reisander wrote:

Ok. But can’t Stellantis just make some cars that generate the same compliance credits and buy them from themselves? Electric cars are the number one selling cars in the world. Wouldn’t it make sense for Stellantis to make some and get the credits?

That's exactly why the Hemi is going away- to help increase the CAFE numbers so that Stellantis (or whomever owns Chrysler this week) doesn't have to pay for the carbon credits. It will be interesting to see if Tesla continues to be profitable after they are no longer selling carbon credits. I imagine they will, since they were able to leverage the profits from selling the credits to accelerate R&D of models like the Y.

I kind of agree with StonedPanther on the general silliness of compliance credits- nothing but an environmental shell game. Kind of like destroying a wetland area but "creating" another wetland 50 miles away to make up for it.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
StonedPanther wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Electric cars are the number one selling cars in the world.

What? In 2022 EV sales worldwide made up @ 14% of all car sales. In the US that number was somewhere a little north of 7%. Buying compliance credits from themselves makes no economic sense whatsoever One could argue that compliance credits in general make no sense whatsoever, no matter who is buying or selling them or mandating them to begin with.

Sure. But the number one selling car is electric. Not gas. The Tesla model Y dethroned the Toyota Corolla as the number one selling car this year. The rest is just production. As production ramp up. That takes time.

I can’t figure out the compliance credits either. I just don’t understand why they would buy them from another company when they could just generate their own by making electric vehicles. Weird.

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reisender wrote:
Electric cars are the number one selling cars in the world.

What? In 2022 EV sales worldwide made up @ 14% of all car sales. In the US that number was somewhere a little north of 7%. Buying compliance credits from themselves makes no economic sense whatsoever One could argue that compliance credits in general make no sense whatsoever, no matter who is buying or selling them or mandating them to begin with.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
StonedPanther wrote:
Reisender wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
So here's the official reason why Stellantis is ditching the Hemi. To add injury to insult the Hemi is a cash cow for Tesla.

***Link Removed***

***Link Removed***

I’m not up on this stuff. How does it become a cash cow for Tesla?

Because evidently the OP thinks Stellantis and others are going to pay big bucks to Tesla to buy their compliance credits that have to do with CAFE standards, but in actuality Corporations like Stellantis would rather just pony up and use it as a profit and loss write off.

Ok. But can’t Stellantis just make some cars that generate the same compliance credits and buy them from themselves? Electric cars are the number one selling cars in the world. Wouldn’t it make sense for Stellantis to make some and get the credits?

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reisender wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

***Link Removed***

***Link Removed***

Because evidently the OP thinks Stellantis and others are going to pay big bucks to Tesla to buy their compliance credits that have to do with CAFE standards, but in actuality Corporations like Stellantis would rather just pony up and use it as a profit and loss write off.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

Link 2

Best hemi I ever drove was a buddys 68 Coronet RT with a dual quad 426 4 stick. What a machine! Wind it up, sidestep the clutch and hang on!

Ok, I admit, the same friends 300 series SRT8 was pretty impressive too. And his current ride, a Durango Hellcat is quite the beast too!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are jumping around acting like stupid monkeys that seem usual these days on youtube and for that group type (immature grownups). I am enjoying my V8 hemi in my Dodge Ram 1500 and glad I got mine. May even buy another before the end if possible.

I have read on many forums about the overheating of the V6 or inline 6 Eco boost when doing hard work aka towing of heavy loads so I will stay with V8 with another brand if possible as the eco boost no match for V8 hemi. Still have two older Dodge magnum V8 1500s as backup and for dirty work in the rough. They run great with good power. Life is good fishing, camping, hiking and

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I hate those videos to the point I will not watch them. If you have similar inclinations here is an article on the subject you can read.

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2022/08/ram-1500-5-7l-v-8-hemi-days-numbered-as-dodge-declares-end-of-v-...

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I heard it's being replaced with an inline 6 turbo.
toolmaker