cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wild Chicken hunt

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else into hunting some wild chicken? Heading out this weekend to piss off some deer hunters and blast some grouse for the fryer.

Have Benelli, will travel! Spotted some up in the Elk Lake area a few weeks back, going to try my hand at it. First time!

Oh and to keep on topic, first real trip with the 19.5's and bags. Will advise on how the mods work out. Also trying some new LED lights in the cab over area as well as the advice on the insulation in the cab over. I added the solar cover and snap together foam mats.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.
11 REPLIES 11

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Vinsil wrote:
Anyone else into hunting some wild chicken? Heading out this weekend to piss off some deer hunters and blast some grouse for the fryer.

I'm jealous! We dont have any good places around here to hunt wild birds. Fortunately, I know a gentleman that cuts me some slack on the price to hunt birds he releases - and he lets me camp in the fields.

Reddog1 wrote:
I never used my TC for hunting. Fact is, I used to hunt Turkeys, but had to give it up. They threatened to call the cops the next time I fired my shotgun in the meat department of Safeway.

Maybe I should have had a DRW?

Wayne

That is just fowl!
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
I never used my TC for hunting. Fact is, I used to hunt Turkeys, but had to give it up. They threatened to call the cops the next time I fired my shotgun in the meat department of Safeway.

Wayne

You need a suppressor!

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Oldtymeflyr wrote:
Sounds like fun. I enjoyed bird hunting, now a days its a few clay birds every now and then, gotta get back into it.

Could you explain or show your solar cover and snap together foam mats.

Rick

Rick,

I can snap some pics today when I get home. Basically, I used a solar cover made for a hot tub. Provides an air gap but meant to retain heat in. It was suggested to me that I look at the snap together 1" foam mats from harbor freight. They come in packs of four for 10 bucks. Should provide some insulation as well. Hope that helps!

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't resist checking out this topic...I thought it was a version of a "Wild Goose Chase"!!!

Good luck to all you hunters out there.
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like fun. I enjoyed bird hunting, now a days its a few clay birds every now and then, gotta get back into it.

Could you explain or show your solar cover and snap together foam mats.

Rick

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
pcoplin wrote:
I don't hunt birds. They are like 99 cents a piece. ๐Ÿ™‚

Neil does though, went today. He has a new Wire Hair pup.

Been too long since Neil and I have talked! If you can, give him my number. I'd love to get a pup from him if he is still breeding his.

I know, they are cheap. I also love getting mudbugs, clams, crabs and fresh perch!!!!

I love big game (elk is my favorite), but I'll take some small game.

pcoplin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't hunt birds. They are like 99 cents a piece. ๐Ÿ™‚

Neil does though, went today. He has a new Wire Hair pup.
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

ramlinwillie
Explorer
Explorer
I did earlier in September, but haven't been back out. Good Luck.
04 F250 FX4 CC Lariat SB, Rhino Lining 6.0L V-8 Diesel TorqShift auto Camper Package-Rear Stabilizer Bar,Aux Springs, Rancho RS900X, Timbrems, Goodyear 245/70R19.5G, Pullrite SuperGlide, 2005 CedarCreek Silverback,2003 F350, 2007 Outfitter Apex 9.5

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
No, but good luck. Hopefully, you have a good dog or dogs. My brother was in Central Oregon last weekend and based on what he said, something needs to shake up the deer and get them moving. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks. I do not have a bird dog. My dad is an old school pheasant hunter and I grew up with springers...maybe this hunt will teach me to get a pup and train it. lol...

Gonna throw cation to the wind and I kick a few up.

I gave up on deer years back.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, but good luck. Hopefully, you have a good dog or dogs. My brother was in Central Oregon last weekend and based on what he said, something needs to shake up the deer and get them moving. ๐Ÿ™‚

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member