cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will 55 Gal drums hold the weight?

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reviewing the different suggestions for supporting TC's when off the truck. I was getting ready to get material to build when I noticed the 55 gal metal drums I have laying around at the shop. They would be the correct height for what I need, I already have them. and my older TC isnt very heavy and is only a 8'.
was wondering if 2 or 4 of these drums, with a sheet of ply across them would hold the weight???
13 REPLIES 13

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:

As the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it. If your camper's jacks are not broken then use them. If they are not then fix the jack(s) and do it while the camper is in the bed of the truck.

And if it ain't broke and you don't want it to break, give it some extra support. 😉
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 4,200 pound 11.5 foot TC sat on three steel drums for seven years that I am aware of (before I bought it). They were not on solid/level ground, so the TC did lean against an Oak tree.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lance, if you have reason to believe that a camper manufacture knows about this, states clearly in their owner guide not to use any form of support with their campers other than the attached jacks. Regardless of their reasons for stating this I can see no reason to ignore their recommendation. Last thing I would want is a 3,000 lb. camper falling off some stands and damaging me or the camper or anything else.

As the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it. If your camper's jacks are not broken then use them. If they are not then fix the jack(s) and do it while the camper is in the bed of the truck.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
I use six for my 3,000 lb camper and I have no problems. I do have some pressure on my jacks, but the weight is definitely on the barrels.

Just to be clear, I am using steel drums, not plastic.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Use full beer kegs and they can serve dual purposes. LOL!

LOL! 🙂
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Use full beer kegs and they can serve dual purposes. LOL!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Chuck, when I mentioned the state flower thing to a AK resident years ago, he got all huffy. No sense of humor.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

cleary
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen lots of them used for that here in Alaska. The 55 Gallon Used to be our state flower, or so it seemed.

Chuck
2006 F-350, 4X4, Crew Cab, V-10, Torqshift, Dually. 2008 Okanagan 106UDB. Both 4-wheelers and snowmobiles. KL7AY Our website

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
You could support the weight between both the jacks and the oil drums. When I use saw horses I also support the weight with the jacks too.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drums are all I ever used on my very very heavy TC years ago. I used four of them because I had them. They worked fine. When the TC was in the truck I used a sheet of 1/2" plywood to get the right height. I'd put it between the drums and the TC as a place to store it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
With a firm footing 3 or 4 should be plenty strong. The barrel is only 35.5" tall.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Plenty strong enough. I would use three. Two across back and one in front. Two spread farthest apart in rear would give better stability.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Do you really want to have the TC that high when it's off the truck?
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB