cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will a 3/4 ton do

rarin_2go
Explorer
Explorer
I have an rv that is at the 14000 GVWR. I need a new tow vehicle and was wondering if a 2500 or 3/4 ton truck would safely tow this. I would appreciate your knowledgeable input on this. Would this being a 5th wheel make a difference?

Thanks
Mike
160 REPLIES 160

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
BurbMan wrote:
You're right, I didn't scroll down through the 2015 Ram 2500 Towing Chart far enough....it's either 6000, 6200 or 6500 depending on model configuration, and somehow the rating gets magically changed on the Canadian model....

Of course 20 lbs is not a big deal, but I like to have a little margin built in because it would be more than that with a full water tank (extra 50 gals), maybe extra passengers in the back seat etc. No way the beer is staying home :B

Not trying to split hairs, just give the OP some real world data so he can buy the truck that's right for him. I originally bought this truck to carry a Lance TC, had no intention of buying a 5er, but here we are....I lucked out on the numbers.

Since you're about data, what data can you cite that makes the SAME AAM 11.5 axle good for 6k under 1 truck, 7k under another truck and 10k under a third truck actually be "different."
And how does a new GM HD 2500 that used to have a 10k gvwr, an AAM 11.5 axle, and say 2000lbs of payload rating, get an 11,150 gvwr, AAM 11.5 axle and over 3000lbs of payload on an apples to apples truck?

Answer, they upped the "rating" and changed nothing under the truck because the truck was already capable of handling it and the lower rating was neutered to keep it within the class 2 DOT rating.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
IdaD wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
IdaD wrote:
....the decal on your fender doesn't mean anything.

My 3500 has a 7,000 lb rear axle rating....the same truck in a 2500 has a 6,000 lb rear axle rating. Not where you want to be when you scale at 6,020 on the rear axle. Is that simply tire rating or is the axle different? What else affects RAWR?

I agree GVWR is a warranty rating, axle ratings are a safety issue.

It's actually 6500 lbs, I have a 2015 Ram 2500. The only difference between the two trucks is related to the rear suspension. I'm pretty confident that the Timbrens I put on my truck that are rated for 8000 lbs adequately cover that 500 lb difference. At best we're splitting hairs.

Would you really worry about being 20 lbs off? Sad day when you get to go camping but have to leave your case of beer at home.

Burb Man is trolling...nothing more. Axles, wheels and tires are the same. You get it, I get it, many refuse to get it, either out of unfounded fear or the inability to even consider that they may be wrong.

blt2ski
Don
If you're 20 lbs over a rating per say, the change that an LEO/CVEO will cite with an over wieght ticket is slim and none, assuming you using the RA numbers mentioned. I've been upwards of 50% over and NOT been given over wieght tickets.
You have to stay under federal bridge law amounts, which is probably 9500-11000 lbs per axle on your truck. Or if majorally over your paid for amount. Even at that, as has happened to me, I got a 10 day raise gvw up 2000 lbs. $15-20 here in Wa St. I was 1200 over paid for total.
As I said earlier in a joke to a degree, the answer to OP, your example, clear as mud!
Do you follow warranty/performance rating? Or legal rating per FBL. If on follows warranty ratings, you'll never be over wieght from a legal standpoint.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're right, I didn't scroll down through the 2015 Ram 2500 Towing Chart far enough....it's either 6000, 6200 or 6500 depending on model configuration, and somehow the rating gets magically changed on the Canadian model....

Of course 20 lbs is not a big deal, but I like to have a little margin built in because it would be more than that with a full water tank (extra 50 gals), maybe extra passengers in the back seat etc. No way the beer is staying home :B

Not trying to split hairs, just give the OP some real world data so he can buy the truck that's right for him. I originally bought this truck to carry a Lance TC, had no intention of buying a 5er, but here we are....I lucked out on the numbers.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
IdaD wrote:

My 3500 has a 7,000 lb rear axle rating....the same truck in a 2500 has a 6,000 lb rear axle rating. Not where you want to be when you scale at 6,020 on the rear axle. Is that simply tire rating or is the axle different? What else affects RAWR?

It's actually 6500 lbs, I have a 2015 Ram 2500. The only difference between the two trucks is related to the rear suspension. I'm pretty confident that the Timbrens I put on my truck that are rated for 8000 lbs adequately cover that 500 lb difference. At best we're splitting hairs.

Would you really worry about being 20 lbs off? Sad day when you get to go camping but have to leave your case of beer at home.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
It just boils down to whether the GVWR matters to you or not.

If you want the higher GVWR for aesthetics or bragging rights or maybe it even has some legal significance in Canada or Antarctica or wherever, get a truck that comes with that higher rating.

If you want the 10k lb GVWR because of neighborhood rules or highway restrictions or whatever else might complicate things, get a truck that comes with a 10k lb rating.

If neither is important to you, get the best deal you can and don't sweat it - the decal on your fender doesn't mean anything.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

blt2ski
And the final Jeopardy answer is

Clear as mud!

You have 30 seconds to write your answer down.....

Jeopardy music tune in the background.......
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
One thing that hasn't been talked about (for the OPs sake), but mentioned briefly by valhalla360 is POWER.
Yes there are HD trucks rated to tow this weight and any of the recent years gassers will pull it. A few better than others.
But a trailer this size is well into diesel territory for a comfortable pull with no fanfare, no loss of power on hills, etc.
Not to mention the virtues of an exhaust brake, which is a HUGE advantage/feature of all diesels that come with them and easily added to older ones, when it comes to towing houses.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
BurbMan wrote:

Scale readings:
Steer 5,420
Drive 6,020
Trailer 9,940
Total 21,380

So you can see the truck weighed in 11,440, but obviously a 10,000 GVWR wouldn't cut it here. The truck empty (with hitch in the bed) weighs in at 8,500 lbs, meaning the the 5er pin weight is 2,940, and the total trailer weight is 12,880 or 1,120 under the trailer's 14,000 GVWR. I am also 580 under the front axle rating and 980 under the rear axle rating.

As was stated, you can't shop by 2500 vs 3500 any more since the ratings vary by box length, engine choice and cab configuration. Some the 3500's according to the Ram Towing Charts have GVWRs as low as 10,100.

And what you don't understand, or didn't mention is that your setup, similar to OP's only puts a paltry 6klbs on the rear axle, which actually within the watered down ratings of even the "lowest rated" 3/4 ton of recent years (nevermind the axles on ANY 3/4 - 1 ton truck of the last 20+ years are rated in the 9000-10000lb range and minimum factory wheel ratings are in the 7000-7200lb range and "most" rear tires will pair up for a 7000lb or more weight rating.

AND, lets not forget all the newer "3/4 tons", which without any meaningful changes to the chassis, magically got 600-1500 lbs more gvwr, seemingly out of thin air. Why? Becasue they were good for at least that much with a lower rating.
Do you actually think a low gvwr 1 ton has weaker chassis and components? Nope again!

It's ok, I don't expect a response. I've noticed over the years, literally noone who puts forth the false info about capabilities of trucks or capacities will actually ever admit they're wrong or even pose an intelligent question regarding such.

The main purpose of my posts is to educate folks who are asking and don't think they already know the answer. And to a lesser extent, to make the false claims guys grumble under their breath and possibly question their level of knowledge, even if they won't admit it.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
As it happens the 5er we just bought has a 14,000 GVWR, we are towing with a 2015 Ram 3500 crew cab, long box, single rear wheel, with Cummins diesel (not the HO). We packed the trailer up, added 4 6v batteries in the forward compartment, about 1/2 tank (50 gals) of fresh water and hit the scales on our maiden voyage.

Ratings for this truck:

GVWR 12,300
GCWR 25,300
FAWR 6,000
RAWR 7,000
Tow rating 17,000

Scale readings:
Steer 5,420
Drive 6,020
Trailer 9,940
Total 21,380

So you can see the truck weighed in 11,440, that's 860 lbs under my GVWR, but obviously a 10,000 GVWR wouldn't cut it here. The truck empty (with hitch in the bed) weighs in at 8,500 lbs, meaning the the 5er pin weight is 2,940, and the total trailer weight is 12,880 or 1,120 under the trailer's 14,000 GVWR. I am also 580 under the front axle rating and 980 under the rear axle rating.

As was stated, you can't shop by 2500 vs 3500 any more since the ratings vary by box length, engine choice and cab configuration. Some the 3500's according to the Ram Towing Charts have GVWRs as low as 10,100.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
ktmrfs wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
For the few hundred that a one ton is priced over a 3/4, get the one ton.

starting a few years ago GM 3/4 and 1 ton SRW have basically the identical GVWR, 11,500ish.

Nooooo :E

LOL

What IS WRONG with this newfound way for mfgs to overcome the weight cop stigma of 3/4 tons, is they've now ruined the reason that "3/4 ton" trucks exist. The main purpose was to offer a HD truck that fell just under the DOT regs regarding commercial driver requirements with respect to GVW. This is a big faux pas for the commercial side of things. Sure it placates the self appointed weight police, but opens the door for the real weight police to take issue with commercial drivers and the companies that employ them, by way of now being required to follow DOT driver regs for what used to be capable trucks that didn't require all the paperwork and bs that goes along with > 10k gvw vehciles.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

starting a few years ago GM 3/4 and 1 ton SRW have basically the identical GVWR, 11,500ish.

I don't know if Ford and Dodge have followed suit, but I don't understand why they wouldn't. If you want <10,000lb GVWR it's always available on 3500's and on the GM2500's.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Lwiddis wrote:

1. You have no idea if the OP is buying new, which if the case, youโ€™re correct, save for availability.
2. Speaking of availability, current events aside, 3/4 tons have always outnumbered 1 ton srw trucks by orders of magnitude.
3. Combine the 2 above things and if you find a 1 ton, sure, grab it. But donโ€™t turn down the same truck with a lower spring rate (which is easily and economically able to be upgraded).
Never kiss a gift horse in the mouth applies here.

The OP will be thoroughly confused by the end of this thread. He will be told he needs a dually (if not already), and frankly, none of us know what his comfort or experience level is, but reading into his query, he isnโ€™t knowledgeable or experienced, hence the more truck than you need is the โ€œsaferโ€ answer, but you cannot discount the reality of the situation. From all aspects.

In short, Iโ€™d tow a 14k 5ver all day long with a 3/4 ton and not blink an eye. Itโ€™s not even worth discussing unless youโ€™re comparing the 3/4 ton to the merits of a dually. A 1 ton srw is NOT a measurable upgrade in this scenario.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
S Davis wrote:
If you like messing with your vehicles go 3/4 ton, I towed a 14,000lb gooseneck with a 2013 2500HD and had to add helper springs, upgraded shocks and upgraded tires. My pin weight was over 3000lbs.

And yet aside from spring rate, the trucks are the same. Hence the helper springs. The other 2 items youโ€™re claiming are just for effect, since 1 ton srw trucks are available with the same wheels and tires as 3/4 tons and shocks, well, 90% of factory shocks are less than stellar and they have no bearing on load carrying capacity.
Nice try though.