cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wind deflector for van

Thomson7
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had any success with a wind deflector on a van? I would think it would help reduce the effective frontal area and even help some with fuel economy. But I don't see any threads on here about it already.
5 REPLIES 5

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi gbopp,

I emailed that source--I've not heard back from them yet. I surely would buy one, if that were an option.

I do have air tabs and they do help--mostly they cut down on the wind noise inside the RV. I do get between 10 and 11 mpg (US) if I drive 49 mph.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is probably what you had in mind. I would expect it to work well on the rear of a van as the shape is similar to my truck with the shell. I get 1.5 to 2 additional mpg using this deflector. Two things are critical, first you need to get the angle right. The wing should be aimed right at the top leading edge of the trailer. You will know when you get it right as there will be no bugs on the front of the trailer. Second it needs to be as far back/close to the trailer as possible for maximum efficiency.

At $3.50 a gallon it took about 6,000 miles of towing to pay for itself which took a little over one year and I am delighted with the results as we have averaged 12.5 including a lot of serious mountain driving. Mine was $377 delivered from Icon Direct. :C

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Your options for improving fuel economy are much greater when concentrating on the REAR of the van or trailer. Getting RID of that big vacuum behind the vehicle would be a pretty sizable benefit but ADDING to the wind resistance on the van itself in order to minimally effect the resistance on a trailer is basically very limited.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wind "adjustment" devices have frequently been discussed here. be it air tabs, those deflectors that mount on the roof of the TV, etc.
In the American Profile May 12-18 issue there was an article "Incredible Kid, inspired inventor, about a teen who streamlines boxy school buses with a $30/8 lb. shield which supposedly increases gas mileage by up to 20 %. Of course it also increases mileage by up to 80%/90%, etc. depending on how much fluff you want to use.
when I bought my Uhaul type trailer they sold a bubble that went on the front supposedly to increase mileage by smoothing out the air flow.
but what do you mean by wind deflector? those small jobbies that mount on the front of the hood, or one on the roof of a TV when towing a TT?
Oh I see somebody beat me to it. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There was a post a couple days ago about an Air Deflector for School Bus.