cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter weather without winterizing?

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my 2007 NL 10'2"QRR for around 1.5 years. Last winter the camper was at the dealer for some work and all they had me do was drain the water and run air through the system. Neither I nor they put coolant in the lines. I don't want to winterize it now since I do plan on using it over the next couple months for a few weekends but the weather right now is down into the mid-20's with highs in the 40's. I have an oil heater in the camper and all the cabinets open, but that doesn't circulate any air through the basement where the fresh water tank is located. Is there any way to keep things from getting too cold without running the HVAC? I was thinking that all that's needed is a way to circulate the air so perhaps using some kind of an inline duct booster fan attached to and sealed over the furnace outlet? Or, run an inline booster fan with a hose running down under the sink?

Right now I simply turned on the light in the tank drain compartment which adds around 4W right under the black tank. I don't think this is a sufficient solution if it gets really cold, it's just all I have at the moment.

We only get temps in the 20's for a couple weeks in November or December and then again in February time frame. Outside of that, we only see mid to upper 30's as a low. I really don't want to run the HVAC since it burns a lot of propane and puts hours on the furnace for no real reason though it would keep things from freezing.
47 REPLIES 47

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, Seattle area here. I was told by people from east of the mountains that winterizing is critical but temps don't get as cold on the west side. I currently have water in the fresh water tank and the gray/black are empty. I could drain the fresh tank and blow it out, but since I want to use it in the near future seems like adding a little heat would be more than enough for our weather. But I'm new to TC's so I want to make sure I don't cause needless damage.

Also, is there any concern that should be paid to outside shower head? I beleive I drained it last use but is that sufficient so long as we don't get a sustained freeze?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
What's the question?

If you've blown out the lines, what's left to freeze?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed