cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winterizing errors and such

Uplander
Explorer
Explorer
I have been away from the RV Travel Trailer world for over 20 years. This past spring I said to my wife...."Let's look at some camping trailers"....I did this as I turned into a RV dealership. She looked at me as if I were nuts but after touring a few she seemed to go along with the idea....long story short we ended up buying from a private seller. His unit was in "as-new" condition despite its age (14 years). The tires looked new....later I discovered they were also 14years old (I now have new tires).
It is amazing how much I managed to forget about Travel Trailers in over 20years away!
This and other web sites have been a great help. With winter fast approaching and temps in my area (northern Vermont/NY boarder) getting down as low as -20 some nights my thoughts have turned to winterizing and some re-education is in order.
What am I likely to screw-up and pay for come spring?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.
15 REPLIES 15

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Uplander wrote:
Question about tires on plywood....I have mine parked on flagstone slabs...is wood a better choice? If so is plywood better than wood like 2"X 8" Douglas Fir or similar? Since my tires are new I want to do this right.

Anything that drains or is raised is advised. We park ours on gravel.
Raised flagstone slabs are just fine. No standing water and as little moisture as possible.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
EcoBullet wrote:

This is my first trailer with one of these. What is to winterize on it?

RE: black tank flush system.
There is a water line and an anti-siphon valve in addition to the spray head inside the tank. All can retain water, freeze and be damaged.

I blow compressed air through it to clear the water as part of my winterizing routine.

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Uplander
Explorer
Explorer
Question about tires on plywood....I have mine parked on flagstone slabs...is wood a better choice? If so is plywood better than wood like 2"X 8" Douglas Fir or similar? Since my tires are new I want to do this right.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Winterizing - LD - '99 RB (much of this is universal)

Water System:

1. Drain the holding tanks and fresh water tank. Close holding tank valves but leave the fresh water tank drain valve open.

2. Drain the water heater. Leave drain plug out. (Use 6 pt socket) (Never use a brass plug)

3. Turn valve on the water heater bypass to the "bypass" position.

4. Hand pump the antifreeze into the city water connection or turn the valve on the anti-freeze injector to the anti-freeze position and put the intake tube into the anti freeze jug.

5. Turn on the water pump if using anti-freeze injector.

6. Turn on each set of faucets both hot and cold until you see pink anti-freeze. (Start with faucet at kitchen,outside shower, then bath, and toilet)

7. Use some of the remaining anti-freeze to fill the traps in the shower drain and sinks.

Use 3 gallons of anti-freeze.

Tires:

Inflate to 85psi (COLD) before putting into storage. (Normal PSI is 75)

LPGas:

Turn off all appliances.

Shut off LP Gas at tank.

Leave freeze and fridge doors slightly ajar. Use wedge between door and refrigerator and bungy cord shut or use masking tape so doors don't fly open when moving MH.

Disconnect front connection on house battery to break connection.

Check water level in batteries. Spray terminals with protectant.

Remove all foodstuffs from MH and anything that would attract rodents.

Leave 1 roof vent open 1" to allow some air circulation.

Add Fuel Stabilizer to Fuel Tank - see instructions. "Sta-bil" is available at Walmart. Have engine winterized and oil checked by mechanic.

Home depot sells 2x2 plywood squares. Put one under each tire when parking unit for an extended period. Protects tires from moisture or asphalt chemicals that can leach from the asphalt/cement/ground into the rubber.

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a bypass valve in front of the pump that I can then stick a hose directly into the anti freeze jug and take direct from the jug rather than pouring it into the FW tank. Saves a lot of anti freeze and this way the pump is also protected. The valve kit is available at any RV store.
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

Also don't forget the tank flusher if so equipped.

This is my first trailer with one of these. What is to winterize on it?
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

Uplander
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the rapid response....keep the tips comming!

That hand pump at Camping World is similar to one I used back in 1985, but I can see why using the trailer's water pump would also protect the pump!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Uplander wrote:
Now a follow-up question.....I always feel unsure as to the liquid status in my holding tanks. Should I put RV antifreeze in those tanks too?
a little to settle down in the valve won't hurt
Also even if I drain the fresh water tank should I add antifreeze to that too?
I don't, just let it drain down. a little left on the bottom won't hurt.
I have a by-pass on the water heater so that I just drain. I just ordered a hand pump kit from camping world to pump antifreeze into the system via the "city water" connection.
that will work. I think most folks use a T just before the water pump to do it. didn't know CW sold such a device.
Am on the right track.....what protects the water pump from freezing?
I just run the pump dry

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
I pour the rv antifreeze in my FW tank and pump it through the lines with the on board pump.
That way I know my pump is protected also.
It costs me a little more in antifreeze, but it's cheaper than a new pump.

I had to replace my tornado tank flush because I didn't winterize it a couple years ago.
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC

Uplander
Explorer
Explorer
Now a follow-up question.....I always feel unsure as to the liquid status in my holding tanks. Should I put RV antifreeze in those tanks too? Also even if I drain the fresh water tank should I add antifreeze to that too?
I have a by-pass on the water heater so that I just drain. I just ordered a hand pump kit from camping world to pump antifreeze into the system via the "city water" connection. Am on the right track.....what protects the water pump from freezing?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
IF your trailer has a black tank flush system...don't forget to winterize that also.

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't forget the sprayer by the toilet if you have one.

I blow the lines, install antifreeze, and blow the lines again with the exception of the toilet and sprayer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and welcome back. I am most likely to forget to pour anti freeze down the drains including shower. I have low point drains by my door and open all valves including water heater blowing compressed air through the system closing valves top to bottom location one at a time after all water is blown out. It's easier than it use to be. Charge battery and disconnect as well.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I forgot the outside shower one time. Ended up cracking the shower head.
Also don't forget the tank flusher if so equipped.