cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you..

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
...carry 4 or 5 gallons of gasoline in a Berg long run fuel tank (boat gas tank) in the basement of a TC? In a plastic tub? With an old style closable vent on the tank cap?
I haven't done it yet, but I'm tempted if it is required.
Unfortunately I have a A/C on my Bigfoot that requires 2 Honda 2000 gens to run. Why Bigfoot, why?
I don't mind giving away $10 worth of gas rather than driving home 800 miles with the gas in the basement.
Your opinions welcomed....
Yeah I worked in a refinery for 40 years....
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
38 REPLIES 38

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
No advice on gas tanks for you. (I use steel NATO cans in carriers mounted on the back wall of the camper).

BUT.....this is the first time I've seen another Go-Devil 35hp Surface Drive owner on this forum. I had one for quite a few years in Alaska and loved it. I had mine on a Lowe 18x48 jon boat with a roll bar.

I wanted one for years. Tried to buy a long tail from a co-worker duck hunting buddy but he wasn't interested in selling. So I bought a new one. I originally had a 23 HP longtail. But after bouncing off the docks and fighting it to get back on trailer, I sold it and bought the new 35HP surface drive. I don't know how much longer I'll keep it though. I got it to get back to duck hunting and chasing redfish in the marsh with my son. Now he has 2 babies and is working a lot of hours. I'm a bit tired of the "workout" operating it all day anyway! LOL I'm thinking just for me an outboard would work fine. I'm looking at Alweld tunnel with maybe a 40-50HP. I want something for relatively shallow water that is a bit too shallow for my bay boat.
Did you run yours with a rock guard? My perception is Alaska has rocky rivers.

I started with an 18hp longtail then went to a 23hp longtail and then bought one of the first 35hp Surface Drives, all on my 18x48 Lowe jon boat. I didn't have the rock guard on any of them. I ran my Go-Devil in the Chena, Tanana, Yukon, and Wood rivers near Fairbanks, and on the North Slope, the Sagavanirktok/Ivishak rivers. The last two had rocks but they weren't much of a problem. The Interior AK rivers were mostly silt and gravel.

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geewizard wrote:
No advice on gas tanks for you. (I use steel NATO cans in carriers mounted on the back wall of the camper).

BUT.....this is the first time I've seen another Go-Devil 35hp Surface Drive owner on this forum. I had one for quite a few years in Alaska and loved it. I had mine on a Lowe 18x48 jon boat with a roll bar.

I wanted one for years. Tried to buy a long tail from a co-worker duck hunting buddy but he wasn't interested in selling. So I bought a new one. I originally had a 23 HP longtail. But after bouncing off the docks and fighting it to get back on trailer, I sold it and bought the new 35HP surface drive. I don't know how much longer I'll keep it though. I got it to get back to duck hunting and chasing redfish in the marsh with my son. Now he has 2 babies and is working a lot of hours. I'm a bit tired of the "workout" operating it all day anyway! LOL I'm thinking just for me an outboard would work fine. I'm looking at Alweld tunnel with maybe a 40-50HP. I want something for relatively shallow water that is a bit too shallow for my bay boat.
Did you run yours with a rock guard? My perception is Alaska has rocky rivers.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where I camp it wouldn't take long for black box to register 200F inside.
Definitely not good for gasoline cans.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
billyray50 wrote:
This is how I carried my gas can for Honda for last two years.

I think I've seen that pic before. I know you said it didn't cause any over heating issue, but that looks scary.
I do have a front receiver. I'm looking around for some kind of steel wire/mesh box that I could mount on my cargo carrier. Or just go to specific mount/lock thing for a gen and a NATO can. Then carry the empty Berg tank in the basement or a rear cargo box.
But the thought of a gas can leaking and spraying a hot engine is kinda scary too.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
This is how I carried my gas can for Honda for last two years.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^ X2
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Tarunteer
Explorer
Explorer
As for getting fuel from truck tank - Don't think those Hondas would like diesel very much.

oldokie
Explorer
Explorer
markowwes wrote:
My Ford Super Duty has a spare fitting on the top of the fuel tank just for that situation, I connected a fuel line to it so that I can draw from the trucks tank, Ask your dealer if yours has that connection and put a โ€œQuick Couplerโ€ by your fuel fill and you are set to go.
x2---get it out of the truck tank.
2001 excursion 7.3 diesel
2013 starcraft autumn ridge 27bh

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^Sidehill soup....I did 40 years of research in one of the biggest US refineries. Exposed to everything from benzene to VCM to BPA.
The Bigfoot basement is glassed in and best I can tell there is no path into the living space.
All that said I'm not too confident I want to carry gasoline in the basement. I have several boat gas tanks. They will "blow up" in hot weather and shrink in cool weather. They're designed to do that.
I'm thinking the cargo box on a cargo carrier is the best bet.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Not a chance carring fuel inside anything, ever, besides a proper fuel storage can and or fuel storage containers.
The possibility of the basement containing and holding the fumes in the basement that will be produced from the movement of the vehicle down the road etc... is a bomb waiting for ignition.
As well gas fumes as poisonous and harmful to your health. I worked I heavy industry all my adult life ( 39 years). To store any type of fuel including gas and diesel were extreme because of the potential for an serous issue. Even the carpenters had to have a specially manufactured storage cabinet to store the 1 gal gas can for their chainsaw and other small gas powered tools. And then the storage cabinet had to be placed in an large open area inside the shop that was no where near any power source etc...
Do some research on gas fumes, (explosions and inhalation) both can kill you.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
My Ford Super Duty has a spare fitting on the top of the fuel tank just for that situation, I connected a fuel line to it so that I can draw from the trucks tank, Ask your dealer if yours has that connection and put a โ€œQuick Couplerโ€ by your fuel fill and you are set to go.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
Change out the ac to one that only requires one Honda and sell the extra ac and extra Honda on Craig's List. Problem solved.

Or for around $300.00 one could install a MicroAir on your present AC and use just one Honda 2000i.
I carry 2-2gallon RotoPax on the bumper of my TC for gas.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have carried the gas tank in a Plano Outdoorsman storage box on a rear mounted cargo carrier. It's a bit of a hassle using ratchet straps to hold it down and a cable with a lock to secure it. My steps barely clear the box. I carry the gens on the trucks rear seat floorboard.
Yeah if that oversized A/C ever so much as hiccups it will be replaced with a Coleman 9,000BTU.
I looked at that soft start capacitor a while back. I need to look some more.
Thanks for the ideas...
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
check these out soft starter
www.microair.net