cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW! $60,000 / 6000 LB Truck Camper

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2016-eagle-cap-1200-triple-slide

Everything above the trucks rails. Wouldn't this have a very high COG?

I've had 2000# standard campers that felt "tippy".

I still don't understand how these TCs can get to $60K....No motor, wheels tires, transmission, chassis, etc......And it costs as much as three economy cars......

I'd be totally freaked out unloading this monster.

But it is nice inside! I think I'd rather have a Flatbed Camper if it was me.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
51 REPLIES 51

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Sure wish FORD would bring back the "Camper Special" of the late 70s early 80s....That truck had the rear axle further back than standard and had a really neat tool box in the body side ahead of the rear wheels. PERFECT!

Plus with a much longer wheelbase, they rode like a limousine.

RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

Bedlam
You are correct about CA of a long bed pickup being 56" and not 48" as I had previously posted. I slipped rows when looking at the specifications here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2015/2015_SD_F-Series_v1-1.pdf

I went from an extend cab short bed to a crew cab 60" CA cab chassis, so I never realized my error on the long beds.

I do question moving too much weight forward on these cab chassis trucks. The Dana 111 and 130 in the Class 5's has plenty of capacity to handle the large TC's and still have reserve for a heavy tongue weight, but the front axle does have much more capacity than a typical Class 3 truck.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
What do they say by center of gravity 58" ?
If standard truck has CA (cab to axle) at 48", would that mean center of gravity is 10" behind the axle, or in front of it?

If that CG measurement is correct, it would be 10" behind the axle on a pickup and 2" forward of the axle on a chassis cab.

Cab to axle on a standard longbed truck with a 8' long bed should be 56" long, with nearly 5 feet in front of the rear axle, and 40" behind the rear axle. So the COG is actually 2inches behind the rear axle, a fairly good target for most dually pickups.

The 10" additional length of the cabover also helps move the COG a bit further forward.

Many cab and chassis have 60" cab to rear axle, while longer lengths would be possible when ordering a cab and chassis, it would not fit a normal pickup bed, but a toolbox body can be custom set up to accept any sort of camper within the body, with the advantage to put even more weight forward, by making the body specially for the longer cab to rear axle length, and end the body at the desired length. For instance, a 84" cab to rear axle length, with the body built so that most of the body is ahead of the rear axle, then you could place most of the camper well ahead of the rear axle. You would need about 12" full cab height box at the front, so that the tires will not be touching the rear bumper though.

Regular cab and supercab and crewcab F-450 and F-550 are available with 84" cab to rear axle, though the standard 60" is most common.

That is one heavy camper, and would fit well with the 60" C-A F-550 and still be able to tow a large trailer! A custom body on a F-550 with 84" cab to rear axle, and 12" box in the very front would leave 72" of the camper in front of the rear axle, and the ability to carry a heavy hitch load, while minimizing the rear bumper to hitch ball length while towing, and could handle a 8,000 pound horse trailer with 1,200 pounds of hitch weight OK.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like the idea that you can not get into the RV without first putting out the slides. I wonder what will happen if you blow a fuse, and need to get inside to change it first, before charging the battery and pulling out the slides?

You do have to unload it to get to the batteries. So no changing them while out camping to extend the range. However with a $500 solar system, you can get by with only 2 batteries. . . SunElec.com can get you a pair of 140 watt 12 volt panels for $229 each, a PWM Controller, and some wire, you are ready to camp weeks at a time!

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest thing that would bother me if I could afford one is I couldn't stand up in the dang thing.
1999 F550 truck conversion

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
If standard truck has CA (cab to axle) at 48", would that mean center of gravity is 10" behind the axle, or in front of it?

If that CG measurement is correct, it would be 10" behind the axle on a pickup and 2" forward of the axle on a chassis cab.

That what I was afraid about.
With that center of gravity 4800lb camper will put +- 5500 lb on rear axle. Add water, rears steps, propane and personal stuff and even dually will not leave much reserve.
Forget about towing.

pcoplin
Explorer II
Explorer II
egarant wrote:

The interior now seriously looks like and feels like a high end class A, IMHO something they should provide from the start.

Although I agree having an option for high end interiors should be an option on campers this large, I think the overall market for truck campers aren't looking for class A luxury. If they were, they would likely be in a class A diesel pusher with all the amenities. I certainly don't want any of that, my kids and dogs will screw it up. 🙂
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We seriously considered a triple slide TC but after taking a second look and counting 8 steps to get into the unit and then looking at missing your first exit step that is a long way to the ground. Also you are not carrying any triple slide on anything less than a 550/5500 flatbed truck.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
I didn't realize his Everest was a custom build. I will have to dig through the archives and try to find a specific thread. We'll see what is available when we are ready to buy, but right now we are leaning toward the Host Mammoth with the Eagle Cap 1165 as the runner up.

Here is the delivery thread.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22067441.cfm

Have fun!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
Kayteg1 wrote:

Bedlam
jimh425 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
The only Mooney I know are aircraft and the followers of a reverend. Watcha talkin bout jimh425?

There is also the Mooney who worked with Host to custom build his TC that posted here lately about the triple slides. 🙂

I didn't realize his Everest was a custom build. I will have to dig through the archives and try to find a specific thread. We'll see what is available when we are ready to buy, but right now we are leaning toward the Host Mammoth with the Eagle Cap 1165 as the runner up.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
As the owner of a lousy set of knees - the climb to bedrail-height every time the dogs needed a potty break would be a deal-breaker for me.....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
The only Mooney I know are aircraft and the followers of a reverend. Watcha talkin bout jimh425?

There is also the Mooney who worked with Host to custom build his TC that posted here lately about the triple slides. 🙂

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
jimh425 wrote:
Bedlam, you might have to go the Mooney route and have one built! At least, you'd get more of what you want.