cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet Another Tire Question

Grommit
Explorer
Explorer
We are replacing the tires 205/75/14 load range C tires on our trailer with a GVWR of 6500 pounds and a dry weight of 4850 pounds.

I think we are going to go with Carlisle Radial Trail either the new HD or the old RH. My question, the HD is available in a D load range for about 5 dollars more and thought this would be a smart upgrade but the some tire dealers say that I might have to under inflate them a bit to stop center tread wear and a rough ride.
Is it a good idea to use the D's or should I just replaced with C range.
Thanks for the help.
8 REPLIES 8

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My TT had the same sized tires. I replaced with 215/75R145 Carlisle HD this Spring.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Your OEM 205/75-14 C tires are rated at 1760 lb capacity x four = 7040 lb of capacity. Plenty of reserve capacity for that size trailer.

The Carlisle HD is a much better tire. I see no benefit of a D at derated pressures when a C has that much reserve capacity. Don't bit into the bigger is better just for the sake of upgrading as at some point a trailer, unlike a truck, can have too much tire capacity.

Now if the oem tires had marginal capacity and the wheels are 65 psi rated then the D at 65 psi makes cents/sense.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went with ST 205 15's that have a 65 psi load range D. They are rated load range C at 50 psi. so it gives me buffer if the pressure drops a few pounds.

My previous tires were ST 205's load range C. I change the after 15,000 miles because they were seven years old. The D rated tires were only a few dollars more.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't matter so long as Made in China is on the tire. They're all of questionable quality.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I've upgraded from C to E, ran 80psi, and the tires wore evenly.
I plan to buy the new HD's the next time I need tires. Let us know how you like them.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Moving up a load range does increase the tire's load capacity.
But as I stated, it does not increase the trailer's load capacity (GVWR).

Tires are only one of several components that determines the GVWR.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moving up a load range does increase the tire's load capacity. That's what load range is all about. You will be fine and I would go with the Ds, as well. Just make sure to check the inside of the wheels to see if the wheels are rated for the new inflation pressure. That shouldn't be an issue in the lower load ranges, but it becomes one with the load range G and H tires we run on the larger fifth wheels (many wheels aren't rated for the 110 PSI on a load range G tire).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
My choice would be to go with the Carlisle HD Load Range D without any hesitation. 😉

When it was time for replacement tires on our TT which originally had Load Range C tires, I replaced the them Load Range D tires without any problems with ride or wear. And my trailer's GVWR was only 6,000lbs, which I was always well under even when ready for camping.

Going to LR D tires, doesn't increase the trailers capacity. It's just gives a little extra insurance against tire failures.