cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your favorite shocks for a softer ride on your tow rig?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gonna replace my rear coilover socks in attempts to softening the stiff rear suspension in my '97 Dodge 4x4 dually.

Today I just ordered those Sulastic rear shackles & figure the rears shocks go next?

I was thinking an adjustable might be nice to find what we like best in the ride quality.
I had some I my Miata a while back & really like how I could actually notice a difference in the settings.

What your experience?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
12 REPLIES 12

canuck_1
Explorer
Explorer
what is the rear tire pressure at? drop it to 35

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Genos garage.com for Dodge/Ram parts.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the stock shocks on my 04 Ram with Bilstein 4600. The initial compliance with the Bilstein's is more harsh than the stock shocks. They were a good add as the ride is better overall. They may not meet your goal of softer ride. I replaced the stock tubes at 65k miles, could be they were worn out.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Frequently a "rough ride" (when loaded) is caused by bottoming out the suspension. Stiffer springs/air springs are the only solution for this.

Soft shocks will cause your truck to roll and sway.

I have the opposite issue.

My truck road great when we had a big heavy Lance 900 TC sitting in the truck bed.
But my current issue is while its driving around with an empty bed towing my boat to the lake or our new Travel Trailer.
With '85 Lance.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Monroe Reflex LINK
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Frequently a "rough ride" (when loaded) is caused by bottoming out the suspension. Stiffer springs/air springs are the only solution for this.

Soft shocks will cause your truck to roll and sway.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I do have a contact at Bilstein from my off road races days that might be a good guy to call?
With '85 Lance.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Any monotube shock will ride better than the Rancho 9000's. While the Ranchos are adjustable, you always have to decide between control and stiffness. Good monotube shocks will provide more control than maxed-out Rancho 9000s, without ever adding harshness. The monotube shocks have larger valves allowing high-velocity flow, and the isolated fluid prevents foaming which causes shock fade.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Bills
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I had Rancho's for a while but I like Bilstein's better. They soak up the sudden, jarring road irregularities better. They also have better rebound dampening which controls a heavy load on the back better and you end up with less movement of the truck.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:
I'm gonna replace my rear coilover socks in attempts to softening the stiff rear suspension in my '97 Dodge 4x4 dually.

Today I just ordered those Sulastic rear shackles & figure the rears shocks go next?

I was thinking an adjustable might be nice to find what we like best in the ride quality.
I had some I my Miata a while back & really like how I could actually notice a difference in the settings.

What your experience?

I already told you mine opinion on Rancho 9000's. Not sure who else makes adjustable shocks. Our 2015 RAM will get a set on the rear before we head South this fall. If the Sulastic rear shackles were a little cheaper I might get those also. I will have to see if my son can get me a discounted price. His is high up with a large exhaust system wholesaler.

Chris

I also shared my opinion on the Ranch 9000's and also originally recommended the Sulastic product. Having said that, any quality on the road shock (not off road) will ride better than the coil/shocks you already have IMO.

You need to expedite your upgrades so you can get your DW off your back and enjoy the ride.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blanco1 wrote:

What your experience?

I already told you mine opinion on Rancho 9000's. Not sure who else makes adjustable shocks. Our 2015 RAM will get a set on the rear before we head South this fall. If the Sulastic rear shackles were a little cheaper I might get those also. I will have to see if my son can get me a discounted price. His is high up with a large exhaust system wholesaler.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021