cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without going into too much painful detail, we had a mishap several week-ends ago. While working with sand bag crews on the Mississippi River, the truck and camper fell into the flood waters as a road collapsed. Because of a number of issues dealing with the wrecker truck, we had to release the camper as the truck was reeled up over the bank. The good news is that the truck is as good as new after a thorough rinsing, inspection of brakes, etc. The bad news is that the camper was thoroughly drowned. A lot of people had far worse trouble than we did, so we consider ourselves lucky. The floods are ongoing as I write.

Our planned trip to Montana in June is called off. heh.

However, I have now convinced my dear Jane that its time to really update the TC. After drying for several days we pulled out the interior. Amazingly the Zolatone paint that I had applied last year is good as new after a cleaning.

Without burdening the TC family overmuch, I'd like to ask some advice other than don't park too near a flood :-).

My DW was overjoyed that I had a plan for the bathroom: a composting toilet developed by Nature's Head http://www.natureshead.net/. Our holding tank was practically unusable and there was no real grey water tank on the 67 Avion. Our plan is to rip out the bathroom and install one of these and converting the blackwater to a greywater tank. Any experience with this?

Finally, the roof. I admit that I have not really done the work I should have. Now, I need to remove the various sealants on the roof and repair it. We are also setting up for a solar installation. Any advice as to this?

Here's hoping I have posted the pictures correctly. And many thanks in advance for your advice.
4,347 REPLIES 4,347

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!
D1 your models put my crude drawings to
shame. I love your sliding table idea.
Triple the use of the same space! Any ideas
on table material(plywood or something exotic
and light?) and the pedistal? I like the idea
of a full width table/bed, but gee it is heavy
made of plywood.
You know you almost have to build two campers
when it comes to appliances. One for traveling/boondocking
and one for full hookups. Id like to be able
to run on batteries with an inverter. 69avion
steared me right on the Fridgedaire mini window
unit, all thats needed, fits the old water heater
hole perfectly, plus batteries and inverter will
run it. All I need to cook with inside is
a tiny microwave, it too will run off the inverter
solo; propane cajun cooker and gridle for serious
outdoor cooking.

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!
Garry - Yes! Thats it. I have never seen that exact layout.
I suspect the water tank must be in that left bench extention and
batteries in the right? I would have switched
them to keep the plumbing all on one side
What I really like is the "hot" closet to put all
the appliances in with the upper and lower
ventilation. Those benches do look like they
have really wide seats with those extentions.
I thought there were only 3 floor plans, No?

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
Cajunavion, your inquiry comes at a good time; I too am working on a layout for my C11. It started life with the side dinette. I decided that I wanted a front dinette for both the social nature of sitting across from Annie but also because I could put the table down and have a 72x42" platform for the two German Shepherds to lie on and stick their noses thru the front window into the cab. I am putting a 40x15" double slider window in the front of the camper that matches the slider in the back of the truck cab.

If we were to be 4 eating inside, 42" seems a sort of minimum width for two people to sit next to each other at a dinette table, A standard single bed is 39" wide - that's pretty narrow for dining elbow to elbow... but I could still end up with less than 42" width.

I start with the premise that the bed needs to be 72" long, which allows 16" extra to use to reach the full interior width of 88". My solution, at the moment, is to make a smaller propane locker on the right side with an aluminum bottle and place my water tank - about 30 gallons - in the box formed by the right hand seat extending out into the center floor space. Each side of the dinette is 22" wide - 18" of seat and 4" of back cushion. The table is 28" wide. It will have 4" fold-under flaps on each side to make it a table that doesn't require hunching forward to eat comfortably. The table will slide either far to the right or to the left to create an additional work surface.

Both propane and water are on the right side. Plumbing occupies more space under the sink so I'm thinking to put the sink on the right and the stove on the left. I want to have as much food prep surface as possible. The demand water heater mounts on the wall of the bath and the gray water tank goes directly below the bath. No black water tank with the cassette toilet. All water and plumbing on the right and propane piped over to the stove on the left side, as well as back to the water heater and a heater somewhere. The refrigerator remains on the left side, utilizing the existing outside door vent. And I'm keeping the closet and storage area. This rig is woefully deficient in storage space.

I am uncertain about the space where the original water heater went. Perhaps batteries, or just seal it up from the outside and utilize the increased undercounter storage. Or batteries in the bottom of the closet space.

I had been lead around by the OEM stove hood being located in the center of the right wall. Upon reflection, I realized that I hardly use the fan in the hood over the range in my home kitchen. Plus the camper will have two Fantastic vents with fans and the window directly behind the stove. I'm satisfied that I won't miss the vent hood. If I do, I'll install one on the left side. I really like open work space in the galley in this plan!

A note about my model: the upper walls and rear cabinetry haven't been represented here. The fridge will be built-in, with storage above, as in the OEM.

More will be revealed!

Dick

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Look at these pics, and see if this is what you are looking to do.
Front dinette C10

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
drawings

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
cajunavion wrote:
Howdy!
Im trying to layout the cabin in a different way
from OEM. Bathroom and bed the same.
Trying to be mininalistic. Would like moving
kitchen sink in frount of bathroom, less plumbing
that way. Pulled in bunk like Garry. Would like
to leave the closets and cabinets out. Put
second bed/table across entire cabin in frount.
The issue is distributing the weight easily. How do I
figure the best weight distribution
scientifically. Something besides how the thing
leans. Tanks, battery, and
electrical principally.
Best mimimal Avion C10 layout?

My factory layout has the kitchen sink, and water heater, right in front of the bathroom. The hardest part of keeping the balance nice on the Avion campers is the fact that it doesn't have a basement so the black water tank and the gray water tank have to hang below the floor, behind the truck bed. Because of this it is important to keep all the heavy items up front like the fresh water, batteries, LP, etc. The closet in the back is nice because you can put clothing in there which is relatively light weight.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!
Im trying to layout the cabin in a different way
from OEM. Bathroom and bed the same.
Trying to be mininalistic. Would like moving
kitchen sink in frount of bathroom, less plumbing
that way. Pulled in bunk like Garry. Would like
to leave the closets and cabinets out. Put
second bed/table across entire cabin in frount.
The issue is distributing the weight easily. How do I
figure the best weight distribution
scientifically. Something besides how the thing
leans. Tanks, battery, and
electrical principally.

Best mimimal Avion C10 layout?

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wanted to mention a TC rally in Kerrville, Texas, on April 3- 6. I'll be going and I think there are some others from the RV.forum that will be there. Perhaps some of the guys in Arizona and west who have Avions can make it? Its at the Guadalupe River RV Resort...and I think there is info in Truck Camper Magazine.

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!
Garry what about an MT60? Its a combo
freezer/fridge at the same time. I personally
like the expedition style: its engineeringwise
more efficient to keep cold in with a top opening.
I am thinking of some kind of top counter surface
with the Engel underneath. Double duty the space.
Oh yes! D1 your the man of the hour! That Al
framework is drop dead gorgeous!

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
67avion wrote:
Garry, thanks for explaining all that. I see now how you laid it out - and remember you writing about it.

I have looked at every Engel model and can not figure a way to set one in the cabinet. I'm now considering a front opening Engel fridge in the spot where the old fridge was located. And the "fussing" is whether we want to have a top opening freezer that would slide out, or a fridge that was mounted into the wall.

One advantage of a wall mounted Engel, is the option of a small freezer in the fridge... That is the only drawback to the MT-45, is that it is either a fridge or a freezer. not both at the same time. So we have a small Engel Ice Box, that we put the refer items into when we want to use the freezer function. And with a family of 6 traveling, the ice box is helpful for quantity of food stuffs. For just a couple, you will be pretty happy with a wall mounted Engel.

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
D1trout wrote:
They want $96 each for the Avion badges and $75 for the door grab handle.
Not cheap but probably not available anywhere, unless I find someone
parting out an Avion. On hold for the moment. There's a metal polisher in
Santa Cruz I'm going to ck with. Gary the welder - kind of a Gyro Gearloose character - has contrived an aluminum casting set-up. He could duplicate the parts in pure aluminum! I'll ck with him also. That might be very cool. Polish them up brightly. Paint the red in as appropriate...
Dick

67, I took the parts to a rechrome shop in San Jose that gets rave reviews. It was the owner who told me they were too pitted for him to deal with and produce an acceptable result. I'm liking the cast aluminum idea...

Nice job on your camper. I also like the idea of "cast" aluminum name badges. You sure could polish them up real nice.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gyro Gearloose? Yes, I think he passed through southern Illinois at one point. Nice guy. Needs watching.

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
They want $96 each for the Avion badges and $75 for the door grab handle.
Not cheap but probably not available anywhere, unless I find someone
parting out an Avion. On hold for the moment. There's a metal polisher in
Santa Cruz I'm going to ck with. Gary the welder - kind of a Gyro Gearloose character - has contrived an aluminum casting set-up. He could duplicate the parts in pure aluminum! I'll ck with him also. That might be very cool. Polish them up brightly. Paint the red in as appropriate...
Dick

67, I took the parts to a rechrome shop in San Jose that gets rave reviews. It was the owner who told me they were too pitted for him to deal with and produce an acceptable result. I'm liking the cast aluminum idea...