cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without going into too much painful detail, we had a mishap several week-ends ago. While working with sand bag crews on the Mississippi River, the truck and camper fell into the flood waters as a road collapsed. Because of a number of issues dealing with the wrecker truck, we had to release the camper as the truck was reeled up over the bank. The good news is that the truck is as good as new after a thorough rinsing, inspection of brakes, etc. The bad news is that the camper was thoroughly drowned. A lot of people had far worse trouble than we did, so we consider ourselves lucky. The floods are ongoing as I write.

Our planned trip to Montana in June is called off. heh.

However, I have now convinced my dear Jane that its time to really update the TC. After drying for several days we pulled out the interior. Amazingly the Zolatone paint that I had applied last year is good as new after a cleaning.

Without burdening the TC family overmuch, I'd like to ask some advice other than don't park too near a flood :-).

My DW was overjoyed that I had a plan for the bathroom: a composting toilet developed by Nature's Head http://www.natureshead.net/. Our holding tank was practically unusable and there was no real grey water tank on the 67 Avion. Our plan is to rip out the bathroom and install one of these and converting the blackwater to a greywater tank. Any experience with this?

Finally, the roof. I admit that I have not really done the work I should have. Now, I need to remove the various sealants on the roof and repair it. We are also setting up for a solar installation. Any advice as to this?

Here's hoping I have posted the pictures correctly. And many thanks in advance for your advice.
4,347 REPLIES 4,347

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
Cool, I needed to see that too. Mine were bungeed in there, and I didn't like it. I can make one of these. Im looking at the picture, what are those other 2 valves for? I see where they connect to the tanks, but how about those other shutoff valves that are on that T?
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
cajunavion wrote:
Howdy!
I am trying to put the propane tanks
back together. Any OEM propane locker
pics? Is there suppose to be a clamp or something to
hold these tanks in?

This picture shows the bracket that holds the tanks with the vertical all thread rod. I put some Armaflex tape on the bracket which is laying on the bottom of the LP enclosure.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!
I am trying to put the propane tanks
back together. Any OEM propane locker
pics? Is there suppose to be a clamp or something to
hold these tanks in?

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
D1trout wrote:
Will, I weighed my rig last fall. It was a stock '69 C11 side dinette model. The camper had no kitchenware, food, clothing or other personal items. It did, however, have the three camper jacks, the heavy duty OEM models. And perhaps 150 pounds of water soaked into the plywood panels. Plus a rooftop AC unit and a marine style TV antenna. No water in the tank. One full propane bottle and one empty. One battery installed up front next to the water tank. This all netted out at 2670 pounds.

Dick

That is certainly in the ballpark. They should weigh around 2,550# empty, with no AC.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks man, I had no idea. finally sold the compressor today off of my freightliner. So Im about to get things rolling on my project.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
Will, I weighed my rig last fall. It was a stock '69 C11 side dinette model. The camper had no kitchenware, food, clothing or other personal items. It did, however, have the three camper jacks, the heavy duty OEM models. And perhaps 150 pounds of water soaked into the plywood panels. Plus a rooftop AC unit and a marine style TV antenna. No water in the tank. One full propane bottle and one empty. One battery installed up front next to the water tank. This all netted out at 2670 pounds.

Dick

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
What's a good ballpark guess on C-11 weight? I'm just curious, I know we have added lots of extras now days.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall, the CG of an original C-11 is forward of where the rear axle would be when the water tank is full. It is behind the rear axle when the water tank is empty. That is one of the issues with the Avion design that needs to be understood. You need to be careful with an empty water tank and a full black (& gray) tank.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
That helps a lot, Garry! I can do that with mine in a couple of months
although it might be a bit after the fact in terms of locating various items
But it is a great conceptual starting point. And I have the front and rear
axle weights with the original camper loaded last September. I'll pursue this
line and report back.
Dick

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
If one of the guys with a complete and original C-10 or C-11, wants to set some jack stands on the ground with a heavy (think 4" heavy wall pipe)bar across the bottom of the TC, then slowly lower the jacks to see if the front keeps going down or the rear, then jack back up, and readjust front or rear until you see where it is closest to balancing. That is your COG. You will want to mention how you are loaded (empty, food clothing water etc).
There were never any "posted" COG in the early days of TC's, so you'll have to figure it out.
Mine wouldn't be much good to anyone but me, since it is so modified...

Hope this helps!
Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it depends on the truck, doesn't it? I am pretty sure that I am about 3+ feet in front of the rear axle. But that includes the whole enchilada. If it gets too far back then the weight on the front wheels starts to lift...and that is not good. I was really hoping that you would figure it out - or one of the other guys.

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a round number for the center of gravity for a C11?
Or a C10?
Dick

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
Cajunavion, I can't take credit for the sliding table idea. It's a Lance feature and a great solution to the lack of space in our campers. I haven't decided how to execute the interior of my C11. White laminate for the bodies of the cabinets and counters would make everything light and airy. Then perhaps make the drawer and cabinet fronts and doors out of a finely figured wood/plywood veneer. A classic old American yacht designer named Herreshoff used white and wood to great effect in his boats. Very shippy, but am I mixing metaphors...?

If this is the way I go, then the table would be plywood, edge banded or trimmed with hardwood. As for weight, I've calculated the aluminum frame design as being very close to the original plywood sandwich design. I think 67 raises the more important issue: weight distribution and balance and COG. Thanks for providing that link. I'll have to work out those numbers before I start actually building the interior. I weighed everything before I disassembled the camper so I have a notion of where it all began.

We do plan to sleep in the cabover bed. The single/dinette is really for the dogs and for dining. I'd rather it be just 72" long to give me the little extra space for the reconfigured propane locker and the water tank which will both be on the right side of the center line of the rig.

I'm planning to run everything on a 12 volt system. When 110V is available, it will go to a charger to keep everything topped up, plus power a couple of outlets in the camper. We're pretty much interested in boondocking rather than staying in rv parks or campgrounds.

I thought the foam board model would give me the best sense of how to organize the interior. I have a hard time visualizing the finished product. The process of making the model has helped me to discover and address problems I hadn't foreseen. So far, it's been most helpful and it's also helped me explain my thinking to Annie, who is an excellent judge of space and utility, and who I am anxious to keep engaged in the process.

All in all, a great project.

Onward!
Dick

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
1968 Avion tc for sale.

Saw this and thought of you Avion guys. its not mine.

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well that's mighty impressive D1. I like your ideas Cajun, as well. You guys are going way beyond me, and that's a good thing. Though I have trouble keeping up.

I'm hoping that 72" will be adequate for a sleeping space. I think the width is OK. But is that for the dogs? You're sleeping in the cab over, right?

One question I didn't see addressed dealt with the COG issues in locating water, batteries, etc. I really don't have a very sophisticated answer, though I'm sure others do. But my solution was to weigh the entire rig, with the camper on board, front and back separately, to roughly determine the center of gravity. Then, I pushed as much weight in front of that line as possible when configuring the camper. I have also weighed the left and right side of the loaded truck and camper to determine, roughly, the east/west COG.

I installed Goodyear airbags that I can trim from left to right as well. This balancing act is all important to the ride of the rig.

I like the idea of a propane Cajun cooker outside. Take a look at the Australian camper set ups with their outside cooking features. It might just work for you.

On edit. there is a discussion of Center of gravity that is way above my payscale on this siteclicky