cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without going into too much painful detail, we had a mishap several week-ends ago. While working with sand bag crews on the Mississippi River, the truck and camper fell into the flood waters as a road collapsed. Because of a number of issues dealing with the wrecker truck, we had to release the camper as the truck was reeled up over the bank. The good news is that the truck is as good as new after a thorough rinsing, inspection of brakes, etc. The bad news is that the camper was thoroughly drowned. A lot of people had far worse trouble than we did, so we consider ourselves lucky. The floods are ongoing as I write.

Our planned trip to Montana in June is called off. heh.

However, I have now convinced my dear Jane that its time to really update the TC. After drying for several days we pulled out the interior. Amazingly the Zolatone paint that I had applied last year is good as new after a cleaning.

Without burdening the TC family overmuch, I'd like to ask some advice other than don't park too near a flood :-).

My DW was overjoyed that I had a plan for the bathroom: a composting toilet developed by Nature's Head http://www.natureshead.net/. Our holding tank was practically unusable and there was no real grey water tank on the 67 Avion. Our plan is to rip out the bathroom and install one of these and converting the blackwater to a greywater tank. Any experience with this?

Finally, the roof. I admit that I have not really done the work I should have. Now, I need to remove the various sealants on the roof and repair it. We are also setting up for a solar installation. Any advice as to this?

Here's hoping I have posted the pictures correctly. And many thanks in advance for your advice.
4,347 REPLIES 4,347

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Seems I have developed a small leak in the black water tank . Has anyone had any luck repairing one ?
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Screwtape
Explorer
Explorer
C11 Ultra? Neat. I'd love to have a nice awning like that.
Avion C10
2002 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L

KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Michael_111
Explorer
Explorer
Ooops
this should have landed here, somehow it landed in reg. Truck Camper Posts. This is what you get posting from phones

Check it out
At that price .... D1, perfect for you and just up the road,

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/rvd/5127480410.html

Enjoy

Michael

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome aboard . The exterior looks to be in good condition . Yes there will be some unpleasant surprises but not insurmountable . BTW I love NS .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
WELCOME! From Nova Scotia to Kodiak, Alaska to Florida to California! This thread has definitely grown not only in numbers but varieties of locations! Welcome and keep us posted on your adventures not only building but using and camping too!
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Ocean_Avion_TC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All

Well it was time I joined. I have just about read this entire forum. Recently picked up a 69 C11 Ultra in Ontario and dragged it back to Nova Scotia with the intent on using it this summer to travel through Labrador โ€œboondockingโ€. The PO led me to believe the camper had been fully refurbished. Not quite ... as you will note at least one wing will require some work. Had some good rain and everything seems to be dry but I definitely have some rot to remove and some work on the aluminium shell replacing rivets. I wish I had read this forum before purchasing, I probably would still have bought it, I just would have tried for a better price.

Areas that the rot seems to be repaired are the overhang and some of te floor (or at least further structure has been added underneath. Besides the wings further work will likely be required in the closet area and bathroom.

As an ultra some of the extras I have noted thus far include the AC, awning, antenna, and the closet rod in the bathroom.

The first pic is on the way home. The second of course is with her off the truck as I had to take the truck in for some brake work. The remainder are from the first weekend home quickly putting her back into the truck and setting up the universal tie down system.

This weekend I have been going through the systems.

Electrical seems to be all working after I put a new battery in. Not sure why there is two different 115VAC cords entering the camper (more investigation required). I have purchased a portable generator to run the AC when necessary.

I have the original propane tanks and copper piping inside the storage compartment. I have yet to test the system but was advised by the PO that all systems work except the hot water heater which will need replacement. Open to suggestions on the best options for a hot water heater โ€ฆ although I may not be too concerned as I do not intend setting up the shower. So I may turn the area into more storage.

The plumbing has been chopped up. The kitchen sink only has the pressurized hose hook up going to it (this will have to be changed to boondock). Other plumbing had leaks in the past not sure of the quality of repair. I have to put water into the tank to determine if the bathroom sink and toilet are getting water. There is no grey water tank and I'm not 100% sure of the black water tank.

The PO painted the cabinets a very dark brown. Intent for now is to do a quick paintjob on the cabinet doors lightening them up.

I will probably have a lot more questions in the fall when I start pulling things apart to do the necessary repairs and while Iโ€™m at it set her up for camp site and boondock camping.

Sorry for such a long post but it is amazing how much has happened in only three weeks.

Hope I got the picture loaded right :h

70 Avion C11 Ultra
08 GMC 3500 Sierra

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Love that BOAT like comment!! Fun watching this thread!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!
Thanks Screwtape! I tried to keep the interior minimal,
I really like the layout of the Airstream Basecamp. You can not
tell, but when running we have a bed board that snap in on top
of the tie down rail. It is partailly visible in the loft. That way we have
a queen size second bed and full length storage on the floor. We call
it the hold, since it is all very boat like. Everything can strap down
with cargo nets along the rails.

Screwtape
Explorer
Explorer
This looks awesome.

cajunavion wrote:

Avion C10
2002 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L

KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
Cajunavion, I like the portal idea. I tried to sell Annie on it and thought I had succeeded but no dice... The dogs (German shepherds) being unable to pass from front to back was a real deal breaker.

Now that I have gotten past the initial horror of cutting a very large hole in the back of the cab, I'm embracing the concept. If I can pull it off in a neat and watertight manner, it will be a superb configuration. Lots of storage inside and outside. And wait til you see the pull-out bed extension that allows us to sleep fore and aft in the cabover bunk.

I've reconfigured the inside to keep the center of Argo open and spacious. When I get that finalized, I'll post a picture.

Never a dull moment here in Avionland...

As for the Sabine River country, I've got family in Baton Rouge, a appetite for New Orleans, and friends in Uncertain TX, on Caddo Lake. I would definitely consider such a junket, particularly as we'd be carrying our living quarters with us.

I gotta get this project finished and get on the road!

Dick

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the Sabine River Valley would be a good place for an Avionista meet up. Heh.

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Sorry for the poor pics. D1 I know your about to down the deed.
This is my passthrough(portal). You will notice the cushion in the loft
used to complete the transition between cab and camper, the black
streaks on the outside is where the cushion is squashed.
The portal door is off we inside out, used only when camper
is off truck. Your doing something completely different, but
this allows us to reach through on our travels, stashing stuff inside
the camper, ventilation between the two, one can NASA crawl
through it, and the truck remains unmodified.

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25053498/gotomsg/28461194.cfm#28461194
Howdy!
No offense taken. We always tell the joke "What is the purpose
of the Sabine River(Louisiana western border)?"
"It separates the coonasses from the jackasses!"

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually I expect to meet up with Argo at M.P. long before then. Brilliant stuff.

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
I have searched the web for a source of anodized aluminum. I will need long pieces for the new lower exterior surfaces on Argo's reimagining as a 4WD Class C. Here's a sample that looks nearly perfect. The top is the new sample and the bottom is a piece of Argo. This company only anodizes the alloy 5005.

And here's the info for getting this particular sheet. They have offices around the country. Ck out the website. (Sorry, I can't seem to get this right side up!?)

And now for the next big step. I have taken the bed off the truck and laid out what I believe will be a good frame system for Argo. I had another conversation with the folks at Tiger motorhomes in South Carolina, the rigs mounted on 4WD vehicles. They confirmed that they weld a frame to the chassis, then bolt the camper to that frame. Then they bolt the front of the camper to the back of the cab and finally, bolt the cabover to the roof of the cab. They have a large cut-out/pass-thru between cab and camper. They say that among all the Bengal models out there, with hundreds of thousands of miles driven, including South America and the Arctic Circle trips, they have had no problems with this style of connection. So I'm moving forward with that mounting. A slight variation: I'm thinking to put 1" urethane body bushings between the crossrails and the long rails to absorb some road shock and allow the camper to move in concert with the cab, which, of course, has body bushings on the mounts between cab and frame. The blue tape on the back of the cab represents the cut-out for the pass-thru.

You can just make out the simulated bushings between the cross mambers and the long camper support beams. I think this will all be fabricated out of 3" aluminum channel stock. The cross pieces stick out to the edge of Argo's body, allowing attachment of the storage cabinet structure, like this old rig:

And that's the Argo report for Sunday, July 12th. I wonder if I'll be rolling by next July 12th...

Dick