cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without going into too much painful detail, we had a mishap several week-ends ago. While working with sand bag crews on the Mississippi River, the truck and camper fell into the flood waters as a road collapsed. Because of a number of issues dealing with the wrecker truck, we had to release the camper as the truck was reeled up over the bank. The good news is that the truck is as good as new after a thorough rinsing, inspection of brakes, etc. The bad news is that the camper was thoroughly drowned. A lot of people had far worse trouble than we did, so we consider ourselves lucky. The floods are ongoing as I write.

Our planned trip to Montana in June is called off. heh.

However, I have now convinced my dear Jane that its time to really update the TC. After drying for several days we pulled out the interior. Amazingly the Zolatone paint that I had applied last year is good as new after a cleaning.

Without burdening the TC family overmuch, I'd like to ask some advice other than don't park too near a flood :-).

My DW was overjoyed that I had a plan for the bathroom: a composting toilet developed by Nature's Head http://www.natureshead.net/. Our holding tank was practically unusable and there was no real grey water tank on the 67 Avion. Our plan is to rip out the bathroom and install one of these and converting the blackwater to a greywater tank. Any experience with this?

Finally, the roof. I admit that I have not really done the work I should have. Now, I need to remove the various sealants on the roof and repair it. We are also setting up for a solar installation. Any advice as to this?

Here's hoping I have posted the pictures correctly. And many thanks in advance for your advice.
4,347 REPLIES 4,347

My_Blue_Heaven
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2, when I was the owner of 67 Avion's rig, I had the stove top professionally replated, but the rust returned in short order as I recall.
2001 F350 Lariat CC 4WD 7.3 PSD dually, chipped, 4" SS exhaust, 350 hp, Rancho 9000's, front receiver, front & rear Roadmasters
2009 Arctic Fox 990S, storm windows, Cummins/Onan, FastGuns, Torklifts

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
No I haven't towed the Airstream behind the Avion , but I have contemplated it .

Here's a link to a trip report showing the Avion in all it's gory glory.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26467210/srt/pa/pging/1.cfm
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!
Tiki we've never seen your rig in full travel
mode. Do you pull the airstream with the camper?
Sounds interesting!

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I have considered engine paint but I don't think they can take the heat . One can is good for 200 deg. , another is 500 deg. , still not enough . Manifold paint might work but have not found it in gloss .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you considered high heat spray on engine enamel. No idea how it would do. But it's high gloss in many different colors from auto parts stores.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I have read on other forums folks who have tried the powder coat said it didn't do well around the burners . Ceramic might do better . The Rustoleum high heat seems to work but it's a flat finish . If I can find a place that does plating not too far I'd like to know what nickel/chrome would cost . In the interim I put some SS paint on but it too darkened around the burners .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
69 Avion wrote:
ticki2 wrote:
If anyone is discarding a 3 burner Holiday range I'm interested in a non rusted top for mine .

I still wonder why they couldn't make the stainless steel top somewhat rust resistant. Mine also rusted.

They could have , probably didn't imagine us keeping them for 40 or 50 years . The stainless steel sink is still rust free . My 76 Airstream has the same problem , so it seems it's the stove manufacturers using low grade stainless , or what ever alloy it is .

BTW , nice job on the bunk rail .

I was thinking about having mine ceramic coated or powder coated.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
Michael111, tomorrow I will begin drilling out the rivets and removing the inner vinyl-coated skin and old foam in my C11. I'm wondering if you have replaced the foam and the inner skin on your rig yet? And resolved the Luan/ rib insulation idea you proposed. I'd like to learn what you've learned...
Dick

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
69 Avion wrote:
ticki2 wrote:
If anyone is discarding a 3 burner Holiday range I'm interested in a non rusted top for mine .

I still wonder why they couldn't make the stainless steel top somewhat rust resistant. Mine also rusted.

They could have , probably didn't imagine us keeping them for 40 or 50 years . The stainless steel sink is still rust free . My 76 Airstream has the same problem , so it seems it's the stove manufacturers using low grade stainless , or what ever alloy it is .

BTW , nice job on the bunk rail .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:

Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cajun Avion wrote:
Howdy!
Who wants to see pics from D1?
How about 67?

I have to get out to the storage unit, but I can do that if someone is really interested. Let me know

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
A few months ago, my son, during a restless night, broke the vertical plywood members of the bed guard (or whatever it's proper name is). I finally built the replacement. This time I used aluminum stock. It turned out real well and I know it isn't going to break as easy this time.

Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!
Who wants to see pics from D1?
How about 67?

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got a fridge, stove and other stuff as well. It probably is too complex to ship but its free for a pick up.