cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking into a Truck Camper

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - I am looking into a used truck camper. We’ll be taking this to Alaska for 6 weeks and while we will spend as much time as possible outside, the weather will force us inside. We do not want to feel like sardines.

I have some requirements below so if people know if models, please let me know

1- no laminate/gel coated sides. I do not want to deal with delam.
2- this means it has to be made of either molded fiberglass or aluminum
3- sleeping capacity of 5
4- given #3, a slide(s) is probably needed.
5- Also, I am ok with building a bunk over a dinette if it fits 4 out of the box, I have seen this done well
6- have the usual amenities

All that said, are there any used aluminum or hard sided models that meets this criteria? Used could be 2 years to 50 years old, I am really open, just not taking the depreciation hit. The truck will be a long bed dually so no real concerns about weight.
51 REPLIES 51

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimh425 wrote:
restlessways wrote:
I wouldn't even want to know what would have happened without safety chains or a breakaway cable (which didn't activate since the chains held it).

Glad nothing really bad happened, but it seems like your breakaway cable was incorrectly setup. I hope you’ve fixed it.

Yes, there was too much slack in it - about even with the chains. Regardless, that did not cause me any problems. In fact, if the trailer brakes would have locked up I think the outcome could have been worse.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can sleep 5 with one kid on the floor.
Campers are great in Alaska. I rented one in Anchorage once. They can go everywhere, they are small and easy to heat.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
restlessways wrote:
I wouldn't even want to know what would have happened without safety chains or a breakaway cable (which didn't activate since the chains held it).

Glad nothing really bad happened, but it seems like your breakaway cable was incorrectly setup. I hope you’ve fixed it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike/kellie wrote:
I believe all tow vehicles exceeding a certain weigh are required to have a braking systems in place. These range from vacuum, surge or electric among others. In addition, there is usually a break away cable that engages the tow vehicle brakes if it should separate while being towed.

For good reason. I was just towing my brand new Cargo Mate enclosed trailer when it jumped off the hitch ball on the highway. I wouldn't even want to know what would have happened without safety chains or a breakaway cable (which didn't activate since the chains held it). Turns out the coupler is either bad or out of adjustment. Scared the bejesus out of me. I have been towing for over 30 years and never had something like that happen.

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
it doesn't meet all of your requirements as far as the exterior, but the Arctic Fox 1150 is a very sturdy, reliable, well insulated, four season camper with one slide that will sleep five. Two in the bedroom, two on the dinette, one in the fold-down bunk above the dinette. If they are well taken care of, delamination shouldn't be an issue. But that is a big if. I had an Arctic Fox 1150 for several years and it was an awesome camper that I would not hesitate to take to Alaska.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I use to have a class C 2018, with azdel. In the nose there was almost a undetectable crack in the caulking, on the roof the warranty had expired by seven months two R. V. repair shops looked at it the cheapest was eleven thousand, and both companies said they could not match the interior cloth and wall pieces. I went to the factory in Indiana they have a warranty section there. We live in Georgia. The head of the department looked it over and said the unit should have not left the factory with such a poor job on the caulking on the roof part over the driving compartment. Forest River has a campground where you can stay at night for free. I would drive it over to the warranty work area and at the end of the day they would bring it back. Until they decided every thing should be replaced including framing that they did some welding on it was torn back more than half of the motorhome. They would show us what they had done at the end of every day. We were in a motel by then. At the completion of the job they walked us through to see if we were satisfied. I was asked where our spare tire was it did not come with one the dealer had told us. Well we got a new spare tire and wheel they did a few extra things to the unit that we asked for to make it more enjoyable for us. Many of the things they did besides the roof would not have been covered by any warranty I expected to pay for at least some of the work. The shop manager smiled and said go and have some fun in your motorhome (which was better than new) there was NO CHARGE FOR ANY OF THE THINGS THEY DID. POINT TO MAKE AZDEL WILL DELAMINATE. Forest river is great one of the remarks that was made when I thought we would have to pay at least something was "you went to the trouble to bring it back to us at the factory so no charge for anything
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
Scout Campers are not full composite like I said. They use wood on the inside for cabinets.

Overlandex I think you can get them to do a shell only model. If I bought one of these I would finish the inside myself and build my own cabinets out of foam board. That will keep things light weight and rot, mold and mildew safe.

One thing nice about composite panels is better insulation and lower condensation. I think Overlandex can do stuff to keep thermal bridging to a minimal

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
geo11RT wrote:
Agree with maintenance. What model/makes are full composite campers?

Not many out there. I'm more into off road and going places others dream about with a truck camper. Could be others out there that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

These are built with composite panels in Canada. Hard side and pop ups. You can call them direct and use their US dealer Big Sky RV in Montana.
https://overlandex.com/home

Here is another full composite hard side with new models coming. You can get them without the roof top tent. Built in Yakima Washington by Adventurer/Eagle Cap.
https://www.scoutcampers.com/

Hallmark pop up in Colorado can do a full fiberglass with composite frame and interior cabinets. A leak in one of these will not do major damage.
www.hallmarkrv.com/

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with maintenance. What model/makes are full composite campers?

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
One reason I'm lookng at full composite campers. No wood on the inside either and no wood in the building process. Yes seals will still need to be maintained but if a leak happens it can be repaired without major damage. If a leak continues without knowing about it..mold, mildew can be cleaned easily if it does show signs of it and absolutely no rot will occur.

I have seen a lot of used Artic Fox campers with damage over the years.
I think they use luan wood behind the fiberglass skin. Once water/moisture finds it's way inside between the two then the bubbles start on the fiberglass skin.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Delam is only an obvious indication of a greater issue. Nobody wants water intrusion into their camper. Nobody wants mold in their camper. That's what it needs to be maintained with yearly inspections and resealing of the roof and wall joints. Azdel does not change the fact that maintenance is required it just makes neglect less obvious.

If you are seeing delam that is typically a sign of poor care for critical maintenance.. I wouldn't buy a used camper that hasn't been maintained. On the other hand a camper that has been well cared for and stored out of the elements can be a great buy even if it has luan laminated walls.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
With the new info about azdel, everything is on the table. I just want something that won't rot or delam (who does). I will look at the the two lance models. I am unsure how the DW will feel about the pop out tent.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe all tow vehicles exceeding a certain weigh are required to have a braking systems in place. These range from vacuum, surge or electric among others. In addition, there is usually a break away cable that engages the tow vehicle brakes if it should separate while being towed.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
If Lance is on the table I'll plug my 1131 again. A queen over the cab, dinette bed, single bunk over the dinette, and a flip out tent in the back we have yet to use. The easier to find 1191 could be had with or without the tent with an otherwise identical floor plan. Single slide unit and 100% functional with the slide in. I use a Torklift superhitch and 48" extension to pull my enclosed car hauler behind it, so you'll have no tongue weight issues with your proposed setup, but I wonder about braking since the vehicle in tow can't help there if it's on all fours.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually