cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So what did you do to your Truck Camper today?

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I saw these threads in some of the other Open Roads RV Forums, but didn't see one for TCs.

I'll start...

I installed Interior LED puck lights and a 12v power outlet.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
3,114 REPLIES 3,114

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
The only disadvantage I have with my awning on the back is the roof ladder is blocked from getting on the roof. I don't stow things up there anyways, but wanted to point that out.

My camper, a Lance, is just like JumboJet's. Thanks for posting the photo. I couldn't find one of mine that way.

I like your back deck too. I'm working on a design that will slide out from under the camper overhang from the truck bed.

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Nice awning Jumbo. But, it looks like you have more than 4 inches above the door and you installed the awning a lot higher. I did see a pop camper install some custom brackets to elevate his awning higher, to allow better access in and out of the camper.

As for awnings, I used them often in my racing days, but with the frequent winds that arrive while I am gone or inside, I made a decision not to have one. It is just a personal choice, as many enjoy having them too.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:

My post is an effort to understand, and not intended to be a troll. What am I missing, besides an awning? Wayne

My 1st 2 TCs did not have an awning, then I purchased one with a side awning and a rear awning and loved them.

I now have a 1050S with the rear awning I installed. The shade alone helps a lot in our Southern heat.

This was the day I installed it:

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog, I have an awning over my rear door and use it a lot, especially when it rains. I use this dry area to put on and off muddy shoes, my waders, jackets, etc. and not get those wet items in the camper until I'm ready to hang them in the bathroom. I can also sit out if it's only drizzling and enjoy watching the weather without being in the weather. My generator, bikes, etc. can also be under there without getting wet. The pitch of the awning can be adjusted so water sheds off to one side or the other, can be pitched steep to keep more sun or rain out, etc. It's very versatile.

Also, the shade it provides helps keep internal temperatures down if I'm parked so the door is facing the sun. I usually try to park so the sun is not facing a large side of the camper to keep heat down inside during summer.

Stop by any time and take a look at it. I have beer in the fridge and coffee in the pot!!

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
For my TC use and needs, I cannot see the value of an awning over the door. Maybe it is how a given TC is designed. I an either inside going out, or outside coming in. Either way if it is raining, I am going to get wet. It is my understanding, it is not advisable to leave the awning out if there is wind, or you risk damage to it. If true, it does not prevent wind from blowing rain in the door. It looks to me, with no wind, a rear awning it only prolongs yourgetting wet by maybe one or two steps.

My door has a rain gutter above it, to prevent the rain from entering the door.

My post is an effort to understand, and not intended to be a troll. What am I missing, besides an awning?

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Im unsure on the ARB- all Ive seen (pics of) mounted to sides of vehicle roof racks etc not RV walls? But Ive not really looked. If so would think poles a tad short for camper? Curious why an ARB verses mounted self contained type, lack of height above door?.

On ours I had to mount the awning rail upside down to get enough height for some slope and clear the door when open-it does ride the wheel. And its a short awning, extends 4', mostly to keep water out, not a shade awning.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, b....already have one in hand!
Try as I might, I couldn't find a length/height of the poles for the ARB. Hopefully they adjust enough to cover the difference between on and off the truck. Worse comes to worse, I will just put it on the side and RELAX for a change. I usually over-think these things and screw it up regardless. That is why I come here for back up!!!
You guys rock.
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
WVbassmistress wrote:
Again, I am primarily the purchasing agent.

I really want an awning over the back door. I am giving the ARB a try.
My concern will be how to mount it. There is probably only 4 inches between the door and the top of the camper so I am thinking it will have to be mounted with some kind of "L" bracket to the top like I have seen people do here and other sites. I though maybe that way it could be set back from the edge slightly to prevent water entering through any gap. Any advice is welcome. If I knew how to post a picture on here I would show you what we are up against.

Once it arrives and my husband can see exactly what he is dealing with, he can either play or pass...pass it off to the local RV service guy. Honestly, I am counting on his male pride not to let that happen :W
Arenโ€™t you concerned with the door opening and closing with the awning out? With 4 inches of clearance, I would be really concerned with the edge of the door cutting the awning, as it is opened and closed. Which would only would be compounded with any breeze or wind.

I have seen little wheels installed, on the outside corner of the door, to remedy the situation. So I would certainly have that planned as you install the awning, rather than after the awning is damaged.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Again, I am primarily the purchasing agent.

I really want an awning over the back door. I am giving the ARB a try.
My concern will be how to mount it. There is probably only 4 inches between the door and the top of the camper so I am thinking it will have to be mounted with some kind of "L" bracket to the top like I have seen people do here and other sites. I though maybe that way it could be set back from the edge slightly to prevent water entering through any gap. Any advice is welcome. If I knew how to post a picture on here I would show you what we are up against.

Once it arrives and my husband can see exactly what he is dealing with, he can either play or pass...pass it off to the local RV service guy. Honestly, I am counting on his male pride not to let that happen :W
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

noxinnhoj
Explorer
Explorer
went out this morning to find my propane compartment open,again,.My lance has horizontal lp tanks that are expensive to replace,when I first got my tc I wrapped some chain around the tanks and used a good pad lock to secure,good thing as someone keeps trying to steal my tanks,they havent had any luck so far.I think its a good thing that propane compartment doors arent legally allowed to be locked as I probably would have had some damage....all is well,we are heading out this weekend im the rain for our first trip of 2013,cant wait:)
1995 silverado dually,2005 lance 915 lite

Bigfoot85
Explorer
Explorer
Spring projects ... replace the sink cover with something little more useful. Here's the old:

Here's the new:

I detailed all the steps here. Fun stuff!
Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.0, 4.10 manual

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job Clint. Where did you find that shelf, or the parts if you built it your self?

clinthia
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a new counter extension in the Eagle Cap.
Clint

2007.5 Dodge 3500 4X4 Crewcab with 6.7 Cummins
2004 EC950 w/ slideout
2 Costco 6 volts
Yamaha EF1000IS
Kyocera solar panel
GO POWER 300 watt 12 volt PSW inverter
TorkLift tiedowns with Fastguns
Timbrens
Homemade bumpstops
The Schnauzers Madeline & Genevieve

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after recent happenings with a combination of my lack of planning for winter, and the vandalism on the truck, I assessed just how much work I will need to do before I camp next. Need to replace the dump valve and pipe for the black tank, the trap in the bathroom sink drain, and the drain valve for the fresh water tank... Never had this sort of problem before but I really blew it this year!! Unrelated, I'm also putting a new roof on it in March and switching it to a metal one. Then, the gas hose filler tube on the truck (think I have to drop the gas tank for that one!) GGRR!!!

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I added a clock I can see without my glasses.