cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So what did you do to your Truck Camper today?

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I saw these threads in some of the other Open Roads RV Forums, but didn't see one for TCs.

I'll start...

I installed Interior LED puck lights and a 12v power outlet.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
3,114 REPLIES 3,114

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I installed five new clearance lites in the front of the cabover part. I also repaired a small oil leak on the Generac generator. Getting ready for a seven day trip to the Redwoods.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

steve68steve
Explorer
Explorer
Ooo, I finally have something for this thread:

I pulled the clear lenses off all my light fixtures and spray-painted their insides with white high-heat paint. The now frosted lenses throw a softer, much less harsh light.

Installed stick-on levels before reloading on the truck.

Cleaned everything really well from last trip. Loaded it on the truck, took it for a ride, and dumped and flushed the tanks.

Previously added a deck-plate hatch to the water tank so I can fill my tank with an aquatainer from inside. My fill line is almost level, which has prevented me from filling with a hose a few times already. Also, my water hose is only so long and sometimes I can't get close enough to the water source to reach - especially from the other side of the rig.
2013 Travel Lite 960RX
2001 Ford F350 Diesel Super Cab Long Bed

trvsdad1
Explorer
Explorer
I put my two batteries in battery boxes I got at walmart. I cut the boxes down to 4.5" from bottom up. Placed pvc (3/4) spacers between boxes with batteries installed in them. I used the spacers to stop any slight movement that may occur while driving, movement would only occur front to back. Side to side is tight. I performed this so over the next couple years as I water my batteries "using a watering kit" and as batteries leak some, the acid will be in the boxes instead of the compartment. I got tired of having to clean the compartment with baking soda and water every couple years. Cleaning the batteries is enough in itself.
TRVSDAD1

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I rented one of these:

And made one of these:

a nice level spot to off-load the camper. Before, this area had a huge slope in two directions. Made for interesting loading and unloading.....
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replaced the thermal fuse on the 3-speed switch on my Fantastic Vent. Now it's wait and see if the fuse failure was the problem or a symptom...
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Abslayer,
I did the same on my 2011 Eagle Cap 950 last year. I purchased the Camper without AC because they come with a model that requires 13 amps to start. I personally installed the same one you had installed and it runs beautifully with my Honda EU 2000. Couldn't be happier.

GARY
HAM RADIO Operator since 1964 'W7FSI'
EAGLE CAP 2011 950 CUSTOM BUILT by the great folks at LaGrande Oregon
2012 FORD 350 XLT 6.7L Diesel 4x4 Super Cab with lots of stuff

abslayer
Explorer
Explorer
After haven to stop my holidays after only 2 days because of very high heat.:(
And no air conditioner , could not leave pets in camper even with all windows open temp hit high 90s in camper.:(
Returned home and had dealer install a new Coleman 9000 AC on camper.
And then did a test run with Honda 2000 gen to see how long it would run AC with one tank of gas.
To my surprise and delight it ran 7 hours straight before running out of gas.:C

And installed wobble stoppers WORKED great

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Installed a spice rack and an Oxygenics shower head.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
FINALLY after a 16 wk. wait, picked up our new truck, for our new N.L.,what a pair. Will post pics. soon.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Scrubbed the bug residue off the front and gave it a good wash and cleaning. We finished up a 3,000 mile trip Sunday morning at 2:59 AM. Drove from Central City, CO to Tontitown, AR only stopping for food, fuel, and potty breaks (3 in 1 stops).

My son was following in his 2006 Chevy Duramax with a Lance 820. He drove 50 miles after the Low Fuel light illuminated and found fuel with 2 gallons to spare on a very lonely stretch of US412 in Oklahoma. Driving 55 MPH and drafting behind me helped.

pbrooks101
Explorer
Explorer
pbrooks101 wrote:
Off-loaded the camper and watched the truck get loaded onto a flatbed........ Damn 6.0 diesel.... we did manage to cast a few lines in the lake this weekend before the truck konked out...:(

So a little late in reporting but had the truck at the local truck shop twice since - replaced the FICM and the ICP sensor..... Ran great after that. No hard starts or hot starting issues. Did 1600 miles through Gettysburg and Hershey, PA in early June without any issues. Decided against an F-450 for now. Will run this a little longer then look at the Chevy with the Duramax and Allison combo. Took one for a test drive and loved it!

As for what did I do today - added a new-to-me Thule bike rack to the extended hitch and got things ready for an extra long weekend trip to Lake George, NY this coming Fri - Mon.
2011 Ford F350 Superduty DRW SD
2011 Lance 1191 (picture below shows 2004 1161-will update soon!)
2010 HD Street Glide
2005 Pace-American MC trailer
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

TheCodeMonk
Explorer
Explorer
Not to the camper specifically, but did some repairs to the truck carrying it. ๐Ÿ™‚

http://waddlestravels.blogspot.com/2013/07/penguins-know-how-to-make-things-shine.html
1996 F250 SRW, Ext-Cab, 8' Bed, 4x4, 7.5L(460)/Auto(E40D), 4.10 Gears, LSD rear.
- Happijac Tiedown

1987 Western Wilderness Alpine (9ft)

http://waddlestravels.blogspot.com/

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
refilled the propane tanks, doing the 24 hr chemical clean the grey and black tank probes, new battery in the smoke detector, and with $10 worth of wood, a skill saw, cordless drill and 8 tork head deck screws made myself a new set of curb ramps

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Changed out my LP detector. They old one went bad, kept going off. I had to pull the fuze while I was on the road.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Secured my rear hitch cargo carrier to carry the Honda EU2000i generator and small cooler

I wanted the generator to ride on its cushion feet so I installed a piece of plywood on half of the cargo carrier

I had to mount the cargo tray upside-down because there wasn't enough room between the carrier and the camper for the generator. I through bolted the aluminum sleeve the steel hitch bar rides in. If you don't do this you only have a few POP-RIVETS and four small bolts carrying the load

I through bolted a few of these for attachment points. Bought them at Habor Freight but I saw them at Lowes also:

To keep it nice and solid I use chain and turnbuckles from the camper. ROCK SOLID! Makes a great step to get into the camper also.

RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT