cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Loads

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III

I topic beat to death probably, but I have a quick question.  I installed a set of Torklift lower Stable-Loads this lifted the truck perfectly, but it took away the contact of the upper over-load spring pack  to the bumper above them, they now sit about 1” above the bumper.  When full loaded the camper does just rest on the overloads.   

Should I get some upper stable loads?  

Cheers,

Eric

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Empty bed vs empty camper….not the same. Just a little mis-interpretation. 
@egarant, yes I’d maybe endeavor to get the upper overloads engage a little more, presuming you like how the lowers have leveled it back up. However the more you engage the uppers, the less you’ll engage the lowers. 
That said it’s fine tuning at this point. And a sway bar may make the most difference. However if it doesn’t have unacceptable body roll while driving, I wouldn’t be chasing minutia like pulling out of parking lots, personally. 
Without incurring expense, just fake in some temporary upper “stable loads”. Clamp a hockey puck or hardwood block or whatever in there and see what you think first. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

I agree, fine tuning is the answer at this point.  I have lower stable loads engaged, I have Roadmaster front and rear sway bars.  So to decide if upper stable loads were needed, I fabricated one.  Instead of using a hockey puck I purchased 4 heavy duty plastic felling wedges.  Hot blued two together to make a long block, then used heavy duty plenum tire raps to fasten it to the spring pack.  I used a special tie wrap tensioner to really cinch them down.  I only installed them on the forward part of the overload springs as the rear was already engaging.  My findings say that it was an improvement and I will probably be leaving them there as I don’t see why the setup wouldn’t last.IMG_9934.jpeg 

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

egarant,

That looks like a great test, but I predict it won't last long. Nothing to keep the blocks from slipping apart but a bit of glue unsuited to the task.

'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Agree. 
although felling wedges do make great lower stable loads!

now you just had to put that idea into my head, didn't you.....

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

They work great!  Used em for years on the old Dodge. Never bolted them in either, too lazy to drill the springs. 
I cut a shallow dado across one side to countersink the strap on a u bolt and clamped them to the lower spring with u bolts. 
Only time one came off was after miles and miles on a washboard forest road with no camper in the back and 80psi in the back tires….

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad

Upper ones made a big difference on my F350.

Lower ones helped level it out.

Don't forget to lower your airbags if you have them.

Bedlam

If you have air bags, reduce the pressure so more metal spring is being used instead of the bag. If you are just on the leaf springs, do you have a rear stabilizer bar? Add a Roadstar or Hellwig bar if you do not have the OEM already in place.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III

With the camper on the truck not loaded with gear/food/clothing/etc. The upper overloads are not engaged.  When said gear is loaded into truck camper, they are engaged.  I am trying to reduce side to side sway when going in and out of driveways……

Cheers,

I skipped the lower Stable Loads, since I didn't think I would enjoy attempting to drill the springs. I installed upper Stable Loads (easy) and replaced both the skinny Ford anti-sway bars with Roadmaster bars. These two things helped reduce swaying considerably.

'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

you want them to be engaged with the empter camper put on the truck, I would look at the stable load uppers also.  does your truck have a rear sway bar?  if not that would be a big help also.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Bedlam

The upper overload springs should not be engaging when empty but should when loaded. If you are still trying to address rear sag, go for the taller upper StableLoad pads. If you are level, there is no need.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD