cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staple Removal

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III

I need to remove my house battery box that was installed by using heavy duty staples.  45 of them practically buried into the hard battery box plastic.  I tried every mechanical way to remove them that I had without damaging the camper.  Any magic bullets here?IMG_0809.jpeg

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

Not sure what you tried so I can only make suggestions on what I would try based on the picture.
Can you slide a wide flat blade screwdriver between the box and the frame right behind a staple and give a gentle pry up? If the staple lifts up or loosens then remove the screwdriver from between the box and frame and reinsert it between the staple and the box and pry some more. Once the staple is loose, grab it with a vice grip pliers and remove it.

Instead of a flat blade try a wonder bar as it's a lot wider to protect the frame from damage.

Alternatively grab a diagonal cutter (aka dikes) and dig the points into the plastic on either side of the staple. Then squeeze the handles just enough to firmly grab the staple but not cut it off. Now pry sideways with the jaws of the cutter and pry the staples up.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II

You could slide a Sawzall blade in-between the framing and the plastic box and just cut them off from the backside. 

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

Not sure what you tried so I can only make suggestions on what I would try based on the picture.
Can you slide a wide flat blade screwdriver between the box and the frame right behind a staple and give a gentle pry up? If the staple lifts up or loosens then remove the screwdriver from between the box and frame and reinsert it between the staple and the box and pry some more. Once the staple is loose, grab it with a vice grip pliers and remove it.

Instead of a flat blade try a wonder bar as it's a lot wider to protect the frame from damage.

Alternatively grab a diagonal cutter (aka dikes) and dig the points into the plastic on either side of the staple. Then squeeze the handles just enough to firmly grab the staple but not cut it off. Now pry sideways with the jaws of the cutter and pry the staples up.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

You could use a dremel to cut them and then vice grips to pull the newly freed ends out.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

That was a good idea, I just tried it…..cut the staple in the middle but the ends snap off at the edge of the plastic when I pry them up to get a grip on them.  I guess worst case, I cut al the staples off at the base and pry/pull the plastic cover off them.

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue