cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
32,298 REPLIES 32,298

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan Branson past away this morning.

Please keep Lori and family in your prayers.

Dan was a good friend i will miss him very much.
We had several good years of traveling with him and Lori.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

dturm
Dan became a friend to us over the last several years. He missed the last rally due to health issues and he has struggled the couple of years. I pray he finds peace. Our thoughts and prayers go to his family.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

riah
Explorer
Explorer
cimac wrote:
For those that know Dan Branson, his daughter posted he is now under hospice care with only 1 to 2 days left. Dan was such a outgoing and long time supporter of Old Fella. He will be missed. Prayers for the family.

My heart breaks for them upon this news! Will keep them in my thoughts and prayers!!!

cimac
Explorer
Explorer
For those that know Dan Branson, his daughter posted he is now under hospice care with only 1 to 2 days left. Dan was such a outgoing and long time supporter of Old Fella. He will be missed. Prayers for the family.
2013 Ford F350 PS CrewCab 4wd Dually
2011 Mobile Suites 36' RSSB3

Charles and Charlotte
Pet Crew: Guy 8 and Daisy 7. (All Rescues)
Rainbow Bridge: Bear 10, Raisins 11, Cookie 15, Bubba 11 , Oreo 16, Princess 13

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Toolguy5 wrote:
Happy Birthday Garland

Dan, Garland says "Thanks!"

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I forgot to tell you all about Halloween, I sit out front with a fire and chair and table to greet the kids, they get their treats but for those who bring their 4 legged kids along I also have treats for them. I have to do that as most of the neighborhood dogs know me and expect their treats too.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're right. In the evenings I walk around my neighborhood and a lot of the dogs know me as I always carry milk bones. One Lab will come running up to me off his leash and without me saying a word he will sit and offer a paw, then he gets his treat. There is some friends who have a bird dog, Struts, who sees me a block away who starts howling until I get there and give him his two treats. Funny thing with him if I miss a day he demands three. Then there is Peaches a little mixed breed girl who lives across the street who comes running over when ever she sees my garage door open. Her mom always checks the street before letting her go. She is so small she only gets half. Then there is Toby who lives up a few houses from me who I have taught to sit before he gets his treat and I send him home with it in his mouth. The highlights of my evening walk was Maggie an old gal who had cancer in her liver and a huge lump on her back just above her tail. She loved laying out on her grass in the front yard. She never left the grass or the sidewalk in front of the house all on her own. She got so use to me coming around the corner she would get up and come rub up against me expressing her love. It really broke my heart when she passed on, but now her owner has a new little guy, a Yorkie who has got so use to my voice that when I call Pam to let her know I'm on my way he hears my voice from the phone and starts barking.

And yes I have a little guy of my own, his name is Rocky Road, a little Shih Tzu and he enjoys his walks and meeting up with the other dogs.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Sgtjoe, you are a perfect example of Richard's legacy.

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are right about all he has done. Since I found this forum I have become more alert to loose/lost dogs and as a result have been involved in rescuing a few. One in particular was a young yellow lab me and a friend saw trying to dig into the dirt on a dirt road along a canal. We took our dogs back to Camp and headed back with a leash after telling the Park manager what we found. We were able to get the Lab and put her on the Camp golf cart. It was then we saw that she was pregnant and maybe she was looking for a safe place to have her pups. She was put in the Park shed but after the six of us got together at the managers Mobile Home her husband went and got the Lab to his Mobile Home. The six of us sat there most of the night as she gave birth to the pups. My friend and his wife adopted one that night, her name was Molly. I would only see her as we met up in Yuma in the Winter, but she would always come running to me and give me big hugs.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
SGTJOE wrote:
So I'm guessing no one is interested in trying to do a tribute to Richard, what a shame.

I have been thinking a lot about your original post about this from a week ago.

As one of the original FOOFs, dating back to 2005, here is my personal take on a Richard Daniels tribute: There already is one, that being Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue in Waynesboro, GA. We were happy to see his vision of that shelter come to fruition, despite the red tape and delays that he faced and overcame. I think that is his true legacy, and everyone that has followed this topic will not soon forget Richard Daniels and what he did.

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm interested, SGTJoe.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I'm guessing no one is interested in trying to do a tribute to Richard, what a shame.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy Birthday Garland
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

riah
Explorer
Explorer
Will keep them both in my prayers and fully recover from the Covid infection. Sadly, this Delta variant has proven itself very transmissible…

Toolguy5 wrote:
Update on Dan Branson.
All his test came back normal. Although he is weak from Covid. Covid was in the early stage so they started him on meds and are very hopeful.

Please keep the prayers coming.

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update on Dan Branson.
All his test came back normal. Although he is weak from Covid. Covid was in the early stage so they started him on meds and are very hopeful.

Please keep the prayers coming.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion