cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Rescue16
Explorer
Explorer
Georgia is not that far from Virginia...Need a Excuse to take the kids to Florida and Disney anyways...Would make a nice stop...If my work schedule allows I am game!!!
Rescue 16 - United States Navy Retired and Proud
Lovely Wife Carla ๐Ÿ™‚
The Crew Alicia and Johnathan :B
The Camping Dog Kamp Chaos ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Keystone Cougar 32RBK
2006 Ford F350 Crew Cab Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke

leftnoright
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good time and I'd love to meet you and Old Fella. But our next trip will definitely be north to Oregon to look at property. I look forward to pictures posted if this rally gets off the ground.
Linda(poster)
Fred (the innocent husband)
Jordan (Shih-Poo Rescue)
Mitzi (Pom now with Rainbow Division)

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
AGRNBRTSLOVE wrote:
I love the idea of an "Old Fella" Rally next summer!!! Most of us have a pet or two from the animal shelter.

Okay, let's hear from the rest of you folks.

Georgia is a long way from California, but I will certainly do some talking to my husband about such a trip. We've wanted to visit Tenn. and then go up to Va. to see our son who lives in Alexandria... Georgia would be an added bonus..What a wonderful trip to look forward to. It would be great to meet some of the people here, who along with me, were caught up in the rescue Old Fellow (Old Fella) and his rescuer Dixie Flyer (Rich)...Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
RogerNCindy wrote:
We are in!

Who is going to organize it? I am a good follower..

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

RogerNCindy
Explorer
Explorer
We are in!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
AGRNBRTSLOVE wrote:
I love the idea of an "Old Fella" Rally next summer!!! Most of us have a pet or two from the animal shelter.

Okay, let's hear from the rest of you folks.

Wife Sue

AGRNBRTSLOVE
Explorer
Explorer

Pauls_lady
Explorer
Explorer
My brother in law just put his dog down Monday - so very sad. It was only he and the dog. Our male Akita is 14 and we know we only have a year at the most with him. He is the sweetest, most loving dog - everyone who meets him wants to take him home! I'm so sorry for your loss, Carolyn.

Pamela
Paul & Pamela
ds;20,dd;18,ds;13,ds;12
Lilly Belle & Hachi rescue Akita
Kobai; Rainbow Bridge 6/9/06 Always Loved
'01 Excursion V10
'05 Arctic Fox 27F;2nd year;CA Delta
'99 Taurus SHO
'00 BMW R1100 RT
'07 Expedition LT
'07 Honda Aero Motorcycle - The wife's ride!

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
Carolyn7878 wrote:
I can sympatize with everyone cause I just lost my little dog on Oct. 5th sometime in the early morning she was 13 years old. I really miss her I have had her ever since she was barely old enough to walk so you all can imagine what I'm going through.

I lost a companion of 15 years not long ago. actually it's been almost a year but it still feels like yesterday. It was really quick with her, she did not suffer long. It breaks my heart to think of her.

BUT my motto is: "So many dogs, so little time"

I will always have dogs as long as I am able to care for them, and they for me.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Georgia is a long way from Vancouver Island, but just might have to give it some consideration! I think the little fiver could make it that far and back home!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just thought I would tell you a little about today. Old Fella finally broke out of his reclusiveness and we had a romping good time together along with Levi and I even got a kiss on the face. What a champion he is and his coat is shining like a brand paint job. He is so happy and I am too. What do you folks think about a Georgia Rally next summer where everyone can meet Old Fella?

Wife Sue

Luizianna
Explorer
Explorer
CA POPPY wrote:
I would offer that there has been a very remarkable vet involved here, too.

For Sure!!
Virgil, Linda & Katie, The Pampered Poodle
05 30` Cardinal LE
www.cardinalrvclub.org

SOME PEOPLE THINK THERE IS A REWARD FOR FINDING FAULT

Yanktex
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Carolyn,

Dixie Flyer did go back and get the old dog. He named him Old Fella and that is what this whole story is about. Everything he did for Old Fella and how so many of these people pitched in to help. Try to go back to the beginning and read it, it is wonderful!!! And I am so sorry for your loss, I know exactly how you feel, been there, done that several times.

God bless all of you.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carolyn7878 wrote:
I can sympatize with everyone cause I just lost my little dog on Oct. 5th sometime in the early morning she was 13 years old. I really miss her I have had her ever since she was barely old enough to walk so you all can imagine what I'm going through. With the old dog I would of taken him home and let him live a good life in luxury instead of leaving him in the wilderness to fend for himself. This way he would of been more comforable and safe so hope someone went back and got him and good luck to you.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I went back and got him and he has been to the vets office and now living with me. Read all of the threads and you will learn the whole story of Old Fellow, now know as Old Fella. This has been a heart warming experience to say the least.

Wife Sue

leftnoright
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Don't forget that Susanne wants to talk with everyone who has partcipated in this forum. So please email her or call her. She wants to hear from everyone of you.

I did e-mail her. I just can't believe how far this has come from the beginning. I'm so glad so many contributed towards your vet bill. You can count on me for more, if needed, for the foot problem. This really is the greatest, most amazing group of people ever! Guess Old Fella's found himself a wonderful home thanks to you.
Linda(poster)
Fred (the innocent husband)
Jordan (Shih-Poo Rescue)
Mitzi (Pom now with Rainbow Division)