cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Mokie_s_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a bad skin condition. Old Fella has to be bathed just about every three days or he begins to smell. He is on an antibiotic three times a day but doesn't seem to help. I have been bathing him with a shampoo the kennel recommended and that does help and Old Fella doesn't mind the bath in the shower with the warm water, it is just so messy. Water all over the place and then he shakes and that puts water all over the walls and everywhere else. Maybe he will have this allergy the rest of his life, I don't know? Does anyone have any suggestions??

We used to have an older dog with some type of skin condition. Nothing seemed to work until we started giving her a Vitamin E pill every day. I don't remember the dosage - 400 IU should be fine. We'd stick it in a bite-size piece of hotdog - she'd swallow it whole. Within a month her coat was beautiful and the skin condition cleared. You would need to continue it as a daily supplement even after the condition clears up.

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
What a great looking DOLT family you have Rich. The bandana's are very handsome on Levi, Old Fella and Izzy. I am looking forward to meeting you and your wife and your DOLT crew. I still look forward to reading this thread. Thanks for sharing your pictures...Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a bad skin condition. ... Maybe he will have this allergy the rest of his life, I don't know? Does anyone have any suggestions??

The vet should be able to help you. Maybe he just needs a bit more time to get healthy.

However, that could very well be due to an allergy. Sometimes the vets prescribe something similar to benadryl, but stronger--I think maybe cortisone--for allergy. We had a dog that was allergic to grass, and on medication. Our son's dog had ear problems and licked her feet constantly...and that was allergies, too. Then, too, maybe your vet can recommend a special shampoo?

Keep on looking...I know bathing him that often gets old, and it probably will dry his skin out, too.

Good luck! I have a feeling you'll pick up some good info here. ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! If Old Fella only knew how the impact he's had on so many people. This plain, simple black dog has shown everyone here that you should:
- not hurt others, even when you may have been hurt.
- do the best you can, until.
- not feel sorry for yourself.
- do the best you can regardless of the circumstances.
- never give up, 'cause goodness might be just around the corner.
- look for goodness in others.
- listen to your instincts about people.
- connect with others that care and have passion for life.
- adapt to whatever the situation is.
- move on with dignity and keep your head held high.
- carry on proudly regardless of the hardships you face.
- forgive wrongs against you and move on.
- accept love unconditionally.
- when you love, love unconditionally.
- trust those that give you their heart.
- remember that the couch, a cookie, and your bed can provide great comfort!

Old Fella has shown us that you can lead a gentle life and still reap many rewards in your retirement. Richard is championing the cause on all of our behalves. Many might feel this is just about a dog being rescued, but for many of us there are lessons we needed to know or be reminded of. And Old Fella is the messenger.

And a big lesson for me, is that regardless of how simple I think my life is, I can have tremendous impact on many others.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anyone have any suggestions for a bad skin condition. Old Fella has to be bathed just about every three days or he begins to smell. He is on an antibiotic three times a day but doesn't seem to help. I have been bathing him with a shampoo the kennel recommended and that does help and Old Fella doesn't mind the bath in the shower with the warm water, it is just so messy. Water all over the place and then he shakes and that puts water all over the walls and everywhere else. Maybe he will have this allergy the rest of his life, I don't know? Does anyone have any suggestions??

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

We have watched Old Fella go from this

To this in less than a month

Hi Richard,
Boy what a difference a month makes. He sure looking fit and healthy. We just got home, so we have a lot to do, and I need to go get out fur babies at my in-laws. Will talk to you later.

Carl
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

robbins1
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back home and my first chore was to check this thread!! I wrote Old Fella, 59 pages, on a post it and stuck it on the monitor before I left. Well,....lots of catching up to do! This dog is one of the lucky ones and Dixie Flyer.....you know there's a place waiting for you in heaven.

Regarding the black spots on the tongue, my Dad never said anything about breed, but would always look and say that's a smart dog if it had black spots. He was country folk and used a lot of old timey expressions. We had a border collie with a black and pink tongue and he was a darned smart dog! The only dog I ever knew who could herd cats.

~~~ruth~~~
~~~ruth~~~

mpj
Explorer
Explorer
See what a little love can do.... He looks great!
mpj:)

Janke5
Explorer
Explorer
This is by far the best thread I've read since joining RV.net! And I'm only on page 41 of 77...but, if you will notice, it's 4:25am and I've still not gone to bed, with church looming in 4 1/2 short hours.

This tale has been so uplifting to read...thank you for allowing us to be a part of your's and Old Fellow's journey so far and in the future.

If you are ever in the Georgetown, TX area, you have friends that would love to meet you, Sue, Old Fellow (and other furkids of course) in person!

I look forward to reading more later tomorrow - wait, later today.

Janke5

Gottahaveit
I started reading this thread a month ago then left on vacation and finally caught up. OMG what can I say? Ol Fella is absolutley beautiful and what a great dad he picked. I still need kleenex everytime I check in but those are tears of joy. Your the best and we thank you for your kindness. Hey Ol fella the look in your new eyes shows you know we all love ya. Great Job.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I think of Old Fella's journey in the last month I can't help but think that he has been on a journey all of his life. 3 to 5 years, we really don't now how many, he has been living on his own. Finding shelter where ever he could, taking hand outs where ever he could find them. Looking for someone who would befriend him and take care of him, checking out all the campers as they came and then left. Then one day his waiting was over and he found what he had been searching for, a forever home. Thank all of you who help make this possible.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

We have watched Old Fella go from this

To this in less than a month

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkc wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Thanks Michelle. If you don't mind please send the harness and I will give it a try.

Rich,

The Easy Rider is on its way. Look for a VHS-tape-sized Priority Mail box from Texas.

You probably want to adjust it as large as it goes to start - I forgot to do so before I boxed it up.

Michelle

Thank you Michelle, I know as easy going as Old Fella is I won't have a problem with him in the harness.

Wife Sue

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Thanks Michelle. If you don't mind please send the harness and I will give it a try.

Rich,

The Easy Rider is on its way. Look for a VHS-tape-sized Priority Mail box from Texas.

You probably want to adjust it as large as it goes to start - I forgot to do so before I boxed it up.

Michelle
2017 LTV Unity

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI:

The Great Tongue Debate

There is a myth that chows are the only breeds with black tongues, and that if the tongue has black spots it must have chow heritage. This is not true. Everyone in chows knows the standard comment--if the dog has a black tongue, then it is a chow. We also hear the comment that if it has pink spots, then it is a mix. If only it were this simple! Black spots on the tongue in no way indicate whether the dog is a chow or a chow mix unless that tongue is attached to a dog that looks like a chow. There are many, many breeds that can have black pigment on the tongue. Some can have large spots of black pigment, and sometimes they may have almost solid black pigmentation on their tongues. So, if a black pigmented tongue is attached to a dog that does not look like a chow, then it is probably not a chow. Also true is that not all purebred chows will have solid pigment on their tongues. Even the best of show breedings can produce chows with incomplete pigment, so we certainly should not discount a rescued chow with a spot or two of pink.
Source Link
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background