cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

Fella waiting for us to go for his walk. I took this picture inside the camper

Love that face!!!!!

PS: Hope you and Sue recovery from colds. Take care of yourselves now..

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Richard,
Glad to hear and see that all went well at Disney World. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Did any one at the camp ground know about the Old Fella story? We just got in from a weekend up at the Kern River. Had a nice time. Always good to get away.

Carl
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

DIXIESMAMA
Explorer
Explorer
Your photos just popped up on my screen...sure took them long enough. Ha.

DIXIESMAMA

DIXIESMAMA
Explorer
Explorer
So glad you arrived home safe and sound. I just got over a cold, too. Maybe that means we won't catch one over the holidays. When you and Sue feel better, how about posting some Disney pictures.

So happy OF is living the good life and you have to watch what he eats. Think of the times he went to sleep hungry. What a difference 2 months have made.

DIXIESMAMA

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hard decision for the day, where are we going to eat??

View of Epcot

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Sue trying to get away from me in her Mickey Mouse boat.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Fella waiting for us to go for his walk. I took this picture inside the camper

Wife Sue

Luizianna
Explorer
Explorer
Friends of Old Fella

Hope you don't mind that I made it a clickable link...am very glad you had a great Disney trip...hope your colds are better now..take care!

Linda
Virgil, Linda & Katie, The Pampered Poodle
05 30` Cardinal LE
www.cardinalrvclub.org

SOME PEOPLE THINK THERE IS A REWARD FOR FINDING FAULT

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Modocmohawk wrote:
Its been awhile since I have checked out this site, as we moved from Fla. to MOdoc, SC and it has been quite a job!!!

how do I find the 'friends of old fella' site?

Rich I am glad you had a great time at Disney, hope you and Sue are over your colds, when you get a chance bring the old boy up for a visit, I am sure Lady would be glad to see him. When we patrol the campground we always look under the slide at the playground for him, We are so thankful you rescued him.

http://www.friendsofoldfella.com/friendsofoldfellacom2/

Wife Sue

Modocmohawk
Explorer
Explorer
Its been awhile since I have checked out this site, as we moved from Fla. to MOdoc, SC and it has been quite a job!!!

how do I find the 'friends of old fella' site?

Rich I am glad you had a great time at Disney, hope you and Sue are over your colds, when you get a chance bring the old boy up for a visit, I am sure Lady would be glad to see him. When we patrol the campground we always look under the slide at the playground for him, We are so thankful you rescued him.

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you had a good time at Disney World, but take care of them colds.

Lynn I think number is the best too, easy. Good job of designing the sites.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

robbins1
Explorer
Explorer
Oh priceless!! Have to cut back on what Old Fella is eating! I love it. He's a lucky dog all right. Hope you two get over your colds soon. You've had flu shots, right? Cause flu season's around the corner and Old Fella would not like you moping around the house sick! Must spend that time playing with him and Levi.

~~~ruth~~~
~~~ruth~~~

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with you about the third one, I like it best.

Wife Sue

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, Glad to see you are back. I am glad everything went so well, sorry to hear Sue and yourself are still not feeling well, get plenty of rest, and drink lots of fluids. I am leaving this am for out of town and will be back sundaynight or monday. check my sig. out for the 3 web sites I am working on my choice is leaning towards #3,let me know what you think.
Hope you feel better soon.
Thank you.
Lynn
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you made it back safe and sound. Get some rest and take care of your colds!
Jana
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com