cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 4'x4'x4'kennel built into the house but after 3years of running free in the house and having plenty of room to roam I hate to confine her now. but maybe it would be for the best for both of us. She loves her kennel and is trained to when I brush my teeth in the morning she sits and waits for her cookies,in the kennel. The kennel has the dogdoor in it and used to lead to an outside run 8'x60'. When I first got her that was were she stayed and lots of times when i can not find her that is were she is. I quess I just feel quilty now after 3years of having freedom to rekennel her.
Thanks for the thoughts and Ideas, I will have to try it.
Lynn
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

Mokie_s_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
lynno62 wrote:

Sorry to rant, I am just so frustrated with Mickey and trying to get her to not potty when I am gone. I can not yell at her as it is not her fault when she had to go she went, and is used to that, I just do not know what to do.

Lynno - have you tried crating her while you are gone? Dogs do not like to "go" where they sleep. Even if she never house trains, this will keep her from making a mess in your house. They make crates for any size dogs now.

Buz2b
Explorer
Explorer
needsomefun wrote:
lynno62 wrote:
**edited**

**prior comments edited**....It is within your power to rescue a new friend now, they are out there begging for a home and dying by the thousands daily. Sorry, do not mean to be so brutally blunt.

Respectfully, I think you should leave that decision up to Lynn. Please try to keep things to the positive here and not judge someone based on your beliefs. Please, respect the fact that folks are capable of making their own decisions. I will stop at that.
2005 F-150, Factory Tow Package
2006 Keystone Z271 Zeppelin II
Bill, Pixie, Honeybun the rescue and our DOTL cat Pita

Gottahaveit
I have tried to keep up on this thread since the beginning and just read the past 8 or so pages. Ol Fella looks absolutely wonderful. You have done such a great job!!!! What a handsome ol devil...LOL yep he has the mischievous grin now. Just gottalove em. Thanks again for such a great journey you have taken us all thru. I have no doubt we will have an ol fella in our home within the next yr. Ok time to give him another "belly rub":B
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
answering Lynno62 off list
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Needsomefun, thankyou. For this post. Now I am in tears again,as I was earlier today, as I was looking at pictures of Brandy and wondering what I could have done different and how maybe she could/would still be here.
Needsomefun
"Seems like you are having some problems getting past the loss of Brandy, and transferring your grief into efforts to help Old Fella. This is admirable. He is rescued now and doing well. It is within your power to rescue a new friend now, they are out there begging for a home and dying by the thousands daily. Sorry, do not mean to be so brutally blunt."
You are very brutally blunt, I would love to do a rescue dog, but at this time it is just not possible for me to even look or think about it. I am in the process of trying to house train a 4year old dog, who from birth was used to a fenced in yard with a dogdoor who could come and go when she wanted. now that is gone(do not want to get into why), So along with that and My hours changing daily if not weekly lately and trying to get her to understand she can not go in the house is not easy. when I am home she is great but when i am gone she thinks she can go were she wants when she wants. Now you want me to bring a rescue in and try and train two. I dont think so, tho i would love to, I have looked and it is just not far to that animal at this time. Thank you for your concern. I love animals more than myself, and If I could I would rescue just about anything, but do not have the time money or property to do so, I wish I did.
Sorry to rant, I am just so frustrated with Mickey and trying to get her to not potty when I am gone. I can not yell at her as it is not her fault when she had to go she went, and is used to that, I just do not know what to do.
Lynno & Girls
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
lynno62 wrote:
Richard, AMEN, Everyone keeps asking when I will get someone to replace Brandy, I said when it happens, when it is meant to be it is meant to be. She will drop into my lap when it needs to happen.
You, Sue and Family are very blessed with Old Fella, Hopefully everyone will get that blessing.

Seems like you are having some problems getting past the loss of Brandy, and transferring your grief into efforts to help Old Fella. This is admirable. He is rescued now and doing well. It is within your power to rescue a new friend now, they are out there begging for a home and dying by the thousands daily. Sorry, do not mean to be so brutally blunt.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie, Congratulations on what you have done with Old Fella. I hope to be able to make the trip to Branson (my town haha)( check the signature) and meet all personally. I want to share a little story about our last doggie. When he was less than 4 months old he was found waddling along the road. We live in the country, and think someone just came out and tossed him out the window. We we ended up with him and thought he could be our barn dog as we had 2 in the house. He was fine with that for quite a few years, thinking the horses were his play toys. He would chase them around and when they went up to our front pasture, Beau would go and lay under a tree in the pasture and watch his flock. When we lost our little Beagle it seemed Beau moved up the chain and deeper into the heart. He moved inside probably 5+ years ago and has spent the time since as a house dog and when he goes for a ride with me has to ride in the front seat of the pickup which makes it a little tight as I cave a cab and a half but the passenger has to share the seat with Beau. He also goes to the ice cream store with us and gets his own dish of ice cream. And you talk about spoiled.....Beau is now over 10 years old and loving every minute of the time with us inside. He is mostly white with black spots and splotches. I would put on a pix of him but can't figure out how....Take care and hope to see you in My Town.......
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOTLDaddy wrote:
TTBeachBum wrote:
Give O.F. a pet from Long Island. It seems he is not taking a moment for granted.

While you're at it, throw in a belly rub from Camp Canine! :B

Did you say throw in a belly rub??? Well let me tell you he is spoiled rotten with the belly rubs! He will come up to me while I am workiing at my desk and lick me on the arm. Then he will start that grunting that he does. When he knows that he has my attention he will lie down on his back and spread those legs wide open and give me that look, "Well here I am, start rubbing."

At supper tonight he came up to the kitchen table and sat and waited for Sue and I to finish so he could get what was left. We always divide the left overs between Levi and Old Fella. Sue gave Fella her left overs tonight and he refused to eat them. He looked at me and I knew right then what was going on so I switched plates and gave him mine and he eat it all. Now you tell me who is the spolied one.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
I will make sure I have a big Ol bag of cookies with for all the fur kids when we get to Branson.
Thanks for joining.
Lynno & Girls
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
lynno62 wrote:
I have a new group set up for Old Fella if anyone is interested in it...

And Gretchen & Missy are the first ones there! I told them there was a dog biscuit in it for them if they were first! :W

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new group set up for Old Fella if anyone is interested in it. I also decided on the 3rd option for the Web Page.
see My Sig for links to each.
Thank you.
Lynno & Girls
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer, you're such an inspiration! Give OF a pat from California, and thanks so much for brightening all our days! OF is gonna enjoy every day he has with you that's for sure.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

b_sj
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer,

I've read this thread and cried or laughed the entire way. You and Old Fella are such an inspiration to all of us. Both of our boys were adopted from shelters and I can't imagine us ever having a dog that didn't come from a shelter. There are so many homeless pets that need good homes and if it's part of our calling to provide a home and provide love for a "pound puppy", then so be it. Jackson and Duke are the most spoiled rotten boys ever but I wouldn't have it any other way!

To see and hear the love you have for Old Fella and the love he has for you, makes my heart happy. You finding Old Fella was not by chance - it was a gift from God. And you have proven why that gift was given to you - Old Fella can now spend his life both receiving and giving true love. That's a gift for both of you!

I believe there is an special angel in you and Old Fella and all the homeless pets out there.

susan
b&sj
Jackson, Duke and Isabelle, our furkids!
2004 Winnebago Vectra AD
Remember, the best things in life aren't things at all!

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
TTBeachBum wrote:
Give O.F. a pet from Long Island. It seems he is not taking a moment for granted.

While you're at it, throw in a belly rub from Camp Canine! :B

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L