cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Richard,
Life of a dog? Working him out to much or is he running you ragged?

Carl

By the way, great picture, looks like he had to much turkey..:):):)
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
That is a GREAT photo!!

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

When Old Fella got home he was just give out!!

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Jomilt wrote:

This complete post was a marvel and definitely an uplifting of spirit for me..

Ya'll are all GOOD PEOPLE...

What a wonderful way to celebrate Thanksgiving!!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING YA'LL!!!

Jomilt
So . . . . are ya coming to the rally! ๐Ÿ™‚

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Jomilt
Explorer
Explorer
I stumbled onto this subject yesterday...and followed the ups and downs of Richard, Sue and especially Old Fella. It was like reading a book and couldn't put it down... Am on a VERY slow dial-up and took forever...When I hit the park where Old Fella was in health stress AGAIN with heartworms in his lungs...I couldn't stand it..I HAD to forward to page 133 and find out the outcome... I am not a weepy lady normally but this lovely heartwarming post had tears rolling down my face several times.. You are all WONDERFUL people!!!

God Bless You Richard and Sue...Due to ya'll, ALL sorts of "rabbit trail" events and help to many other animals will go on for years and years.. I foresee a yearly Old Fella Rally... long after we all are gone..

Our world needs more stories such as this!!

This complete post was a marvel and definitely an uplifting of spirit for me..

Ya'll are all GOOD PEOPLE...

What a wonderful way to celebrate Thanksgiving!!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING YA'LL!!!

Jomilt
2007 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
2005 Flame Red Dodge Lone Star Edition. Diesel Quad Cab

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This Thanksgiving is very special to all of us who have been a part of Old Fella's rescue. Our lives have been touched in a way no one expected, especially me. I want to thank all of you who have made this dream come true for a well deserving animal who has touched our lives in a way that we will never be the same again.

Old Fella has brought the true spirit of Thanksgiving to our hearts and our homes as his story has brought out the best in each of us. Never before have I experienced such an out pouring of generosity from people, most of whom I have never met. You truly represent the spirit of Thanksgiving.

It is my prayer that because of Old Fella people will look for their next pet from a shelters across this nation and give a home to those who have been rejected or misplaced. What has happen here is a miracle and it continues every day. When I see Old Fella and the love he has for his family it brings joy to my heart. Perhaps today, some Old Fella will find a forever home and receive the blessing that come with being found by loving arms.

Thank you for what you have done for our family and may each of you have a blessed Thanksgiving..

Dixie Flyer and Family.

Wife Sue

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone, I just want to wish all the FOOF's a very safe warm and happy Thanksgiving. If you are traveling travel safely. Enjoy your friends and family, and dont forget the furkids.
God Bless you all.
Lynn and Mickey.
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Cheryl,
Please feel free to check this out also:
FOOF group
It is for anyone who wants to join and anyone can add pictures of there furkids. It is for people going to the rally along with for the people that can not make the rally. I am hoping to have a lot of wonderful pictures there after the rally is done.
Also here is a link to his web page:
FOOF webpage
Hopefully you can make the rally.
thank you.Lynn
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

mincey
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
No I am sorry we won't be going to the Georgia rally. December is a busy month for us so we won't be doing much camping. Our next outing will be Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina the week of New Year. We stay around the Augusta and the Waynesboro area for most of our camping with an occasional visit to Table Rock State Park near Greenville, SC were our daughters live. But you can't ever tell when our paths will cross.

Yeah, we have stayed close to home so far as well. But I would like to check out other parks in GA, so maybe we'll see y'all in future camping adventures!!!

Hope you and all your family have a great Thanksgiving. I know it will be extra special because of Old Fella. Not only am I sure he is very thankful to have come into your lives and have a home filled with love and caring, he has also brought great joy to you and yours as well. Just sooooo much to be thankful for!!!

Cheryl
Cheryl and Randall
Mackenzie Queen of Clubs, CGC
2006 T@B
2005 Toyota Highlander

mincey
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:
mincey wrote:
I am a new user on these forums, and I just clicked on this topic this morning, and got totally drawn into this story. Just spent 4 1/2 hours reading the entire thread!!....Cheryl

Well . . . . . . are ya gonna come to the FOOF rally next June? ๐Ÿ™‚

After reading about it, I am seriously considering it!! We just bought our trailer in Sept, so we are new to the trailer camping lifestyle. We have only been out twice so far, and we have just camped close to home in GA state parks. At this point we don't have a regular "critter sitter", so if we are gone more than overnight, we need to pop home and feed the four dogs that don't camp. We have a doggy door and fenced yard, but we don't free-feed. So that is why we stay close to home. I lost my critter sitter because even though she was great and loved my old boys, when I got married and my husband's two terriers moved in, she couldn't handle them and they frightened her. So I need to find a new sitter that won't take the terriers' crap. Until recently, our only trips have been week long or longer, and in that case we kennel all five of them at a wonderful kennel about 20 miles from us. So now our search is on for a good sitter for our camping weekends. I'll have to check with my husband and tell him all about Old Fella, and see if he would be interested in taking a trip up there. Would be great not only to meet OF and his family, but all you good folks too!!!

Cheryl
Cheryl and Randall
2006 T@B
2005 Toyota Highlander

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
No I am sorry we won't be going to the Georgia rally. December is a busy month for us so we won't be doing much camping. Our next outing will be Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina the week of New Year. We stay around the Augusta and the Waynesboro area for most of our camping with an occasional visit to Table Rock State Park near Greenville, SC where our daughters live. But you can't ever tell when our paths will cross.

Wife Sue

mincey
Explorer
Explorer
Richard -

We are in Georgia too. Are you, your wife and Levi and Old Fella going to the Georgia rally at FDR state park the weekend of Dec 2nd? We have never been to a rally before and looking forward to meeting others. And it would be great to meet the star, Old Fella! If not, maybe our paths will cross another time. We are camping New Year's at McKinney COE park at Lake Allatoona with a Yahoo group of Georgia campers.

Cheryl
Cheryl and Randall
2006 T@B
2005 Toyota Highlander

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
mincey wrote:
I am a new user on these forums, and I just clicked on this topic this morning, and got totally drawn into this story. Just spent 4 1/2 hours reading the entire thread!!....Cheryl

Well . . . . . . are ya gonna come to the FOOF rally next June? ๐Ÿ™‚

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

mincey
Explorer
Explorer
I am a new user on these forums, and I just clicked on this topic this morning, and got totally drawn into this story. Just spent 4 1/2 hours reading the entire thread!! (Hope my boss doesn't notice LOL) I can't tell you how many times I teared up! I am very heartened to see the kind of people in these forums, and especially grateful to Richard and Sue for opening their hearts to Old Fella. My husband and I are childless by choice, so our dogs are our "kids". We have a blended family of five canines. My two old guys, both mixed breeds, I adopted from a local humane society 14 and 13 years ago. And even though I bought my Siberian Husky, I consider that I "rescued" her because I bought her at a flea market from a backyard breeder when she was 8 weeks old. When she was about 8 months, she was limping a lot and not playing like a puppy. She lost that puppy sparkle. After the vet examined her, it was found she had severe bilateral hip dysplasia. After several months and two FHO surgeries (they had to do each hip in separate operations) and about $1300, she is doing great. She is now almost 5 and she practically jumps over the couch! I have considered getting her into Agility, and the vet gave the OK as long as we really watch her for any discomfort. I am a member of a local Siberian Husky club, and we promote rescue dogs as well. When we have a booth at PawFest, we put up a display showing Siberians in foster care that need forever homes. When the dreaded day that my old guys go to the Rainbow Bridge, I definitely want another Siberian, but instead of a puppy I will get a rescue Sibe. One of our club members has 7 (yes, SEVEN!) Siberians, all from rescue. And they are the most well-behaved loving dogs! Rescue dogs can be so wonderful!!

Reading about Old Fella's story reminded me of something that happened to a co-worker recently. One night on her way home from work, she saw a man in a pickup truck ahead of her, going well over 45 mph, just throw a puppy out the window in the road, and kept on going. My co-worker was horrified!!! She immediately stopped and blocked traffic, and gathered the scared puppy into her arms and she took it immediately to the vet. Her mother-in-law is the grooming and kennel manager at a animal hospital, so that is where the puppy went. My co-worker immediately sent out e-mails with the puppy's poor story, hoping to find a home. And right away another co-worker jumped at it. After the puppy spent a week at the vet's, having x-rays to make sure no broken bones and exams to make sure no internal injuries, the puppy was vaccinated, spayed, and ready to go to her new forever home. The vet even did all the care for free as long as the puppy had a home to go to. What makes me even more proud is that it turned out that vet is the one I use! And now the puppy Allie no longer has to worry about being thrown out like litter!

Cheryl
Cheryl and Randall
2006 T@B
2005 Toyota Highlander

Buz2b
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like Izzie is making a statement: "To heck with this computer dad, pay some attention to ME!!" :W
Pita does this sometimes when I have my laptop (where else) in my lap. She'll climb up on the arm of the chair and sort of nudge herself in until all I can do is click the mouse off to the side. No use trying to type with 22 lbs of cat in your lap. :B
2005 F-150, Factory Tow Package
2006 Keystone Z271 Zeppelin II
Bill, Pixie, Honeybun the rescue and our DOTL cat Pita