cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Simon3xUD
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Old Fella is on his new dog food and it has caused him to have loose bowels for the last few days. I hope it clears up very soon. I believe he has lost a few ounces.

I'm sure he'll be quite svelte by the time the Rally rolls around ;). When you changed OF's food, did you switch him over gradually (mixing new with old) or all at once? The latter can sometimes encourage a bit of gastric upset until the dog's system adjusts to the new diet.

Dixie Flyer wrote:
He got some new booties the other day, but they are made out of some kind of material that is slick so they won't stay on. The others he had were made out of something like cotton so I will have to find him more of those as they stayed on as they should.

What I did for my last old dog (Toby, who lived to almost 18 yrs) was buy toddler socks. They had little rubber non-skid things on the feet that helped give him traction on non-carpeted surfaces. I just used a strip of tape around the upper portion of the sock (it wasn't taped to his leg) to keep it snug. They were inexpensive and easily laundered too ๐Ÿ˜„
Sally and the agile Aussies
2007 Sunseeker 3100LTD

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CockerDodger wrote:
DF, great pictures, Two side questions, have you always had all those fingers on your left hand? Does it hamper your golf game? Guess it's all the better to scratch OF. Can't wait to see all those fingers.
Chuck

Yeah, I grew those overnight just for the picture!

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

RVSnowbird
Explorer
Explorer
DIXIESMAMA, call your local library and perhaps they subscribe to it.

....RVSnowbird
have you checked out the new RV.net Blogs yet?

Deceased 2/28/08 RIP

CockerDodger
Explorer
Explorer
DF, great pictures, Two side questions, have you always had all those fingers on your left hand? Does it hamper your golf game? Guess it's all the better to scratch OF. Can't wait to see all those fingers.
Chuck
Nothing smells sweeter than puppy breath! But, I could do without those 5 A.M. walks.
Chuck and Linda Good Sam Lifetimers

DIXIESMAMA
Explorer
Explorer
I don't subscribe to any RV magazines. Does anyone know where I can buy Highways Magazine so I can read the OF article? Unfortunately, I am going to miss the OF Rally and I don't want to miss anything else. I hope that some of you will post pictures with people identified by their name/forum name. I really would love to see a picture of some of you that I have been 'talking' to. In the last year, we have shared a lot of encouragement, advice, laughs and a few tears.

DIXIESMAMA

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
I am sooo loving the pictures! Thank you so much!!
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

This is my best friend in the whole wide world!!

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Two Old Fella's

Wife Sue

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

When we were at the beach Fella was so excited. I wanted to take a picture of him so I took the leash off and told him to stay while I took this picture. When I had taken the photo I told him it was okay to go into the water. You should have seen him go! He was so excited he was having the best time swimming and enjoying himself.

Some time in the near future we will have to take him back when the weather is more suitable. I know he is happy with us, but I could see that he enjoyed going back for a visit.

What a great pix!

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have an old bootie that you can send me, I might be able to make him some that will not slip.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today Old Fella, Levi, Sue and myself went for our morning walk in the afternoon as I had a doctor's appointment this morning in Augusta. The eye is healing nicely and everyday I can see an improvement in my vision. Dr. Dhaliwal is hopeful that I will have 20/30 vision by the time the treatment is finished. Today, much to his surprise, I was able to read the eye chart with the left eye. There is still a small bubble in the eye that moves around and causes some distortion but he says it will get better as time goes along.

Old Fella is on his new dog food and it has caused him to have loose bowels for the last few days. I hope it clears up very soon. I believe he has lost a few ounces. He has such a nice personality and easy going manner about him that is what makes him so loveable. He tolerates anything that comes his way without a ruffle.

He got some new booties the other day, but they are made out of some kind of material that is slick so they won't stay on. The others he had were made out of something like cotton so I will have to find him more of those as they stayed on as they should. Tonight he lay around the living room woofing hoping someone would come and give him some attention. What he didn't realize was, we were busy eating our evening meal. When he smelled the food he stopped the woofing and came into the kitchen to see if there would be any offerings from the table. Not to let him go hungry I offered him a butter bean which he took and promply swallowed and gave me that "Come on, I know there is more up there on that table" look.

Sue has been taking pictures trying to get something nice for the rally give away. but the Old man hasn't posed his best yet. You guess which one the old man is! April is speeding by fast so June will not be long in coming. Sue and I can hardly wait for the article to come out in Highways Magazine, waiting is hard sometimes.

Wishing all a good evening and a relaxed time with the family.

Dixie Flyer.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

When we were at the beach Fella was so excited. I wanted to take a picture of him so I took the leash off and told him to stay while I took this picture. When I had taken the photo I told him it was okay to go into the water. You should have seen him go! He was so excited he was having the best time swimming and enjoying himself.

Some time in the near future we will have to take him back when the weather is more suitable. I know he is happy with us, but I could see that he enjoyed going back for a visit.

Wife Sue

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer have to tell you, we got our Trailer Life mag the other day and I was so excited, was flipping through it and of course found nothing. AHHHH it is the Highways mag not Trailer Life. Don't they say the mind is the first to go. Was so disappointed that I have to wait. But thought I would let you know I have waited for the May issue (even if it is Trailer Life. LOL) so we are looking for the article and I will let you know when we get ours.
Becky
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Gee ... I just had a thought. Fella does need to lose weight before the rally! I have a feeling he's going to be slipped a few treats that weekend! You might have to encourage people to carry carrots and green beans in their pockets instead!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
LeroyR wrote:
DF, They would be interested if OF rescued Timmy. He used to get in all kinds of jams and I know Lassie isn't around any more. :W

It would be nice if something happened that Old Fella got a book published or if a family movie was made that placed emphasis on adopting older strays. But when you stop and think what has already happened because of him isn't it wonderful? The rally in Branson will be the highlight of his life so far, other than being rescued. If nothing else comes of this wonderful story he has already touched lives in a positive way.

Sue and I have had our lives changed forever. There will not be a day go by that we won't stop and think of this handsome old dog that came into our home and into our hearts. The memories built and friendships made have all been written in stone and placed in the vaults of our hearts. Whenever his name is spoken it will bring hope and joy to others. His mission on this earth is being accomplished as an ambassador of love and forgiveness, teaching all of us what it is to be a champion.

His movie has been playing in our hearts since September and his book is written in the pages of this forum and as long as we are able to read this thread we will be reminded of an old black dog that touched the hearts of people from all across this great land and caused them to stop and shed a tear and rejoice all at the same time. May he always be remembered as the one who made a difference to so many.

Wife Sue