cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

wmshaw55
Explorer
Explorer
That's an amazing story about Levi and Izzy. I just checked back in to the forum, having been absent for a while. My heart felt condolences to you and Sue. Levi is in a better place, without pain, and you will see each other again.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrsSoCalToolGuy wrote:
Richard, just curious how Levi brought Izzy into your lives? Did he actually bring home a kitty?

Barb

Levi found the kitty, picked him up in his mouth and brought him home. Sue was working in the front yard and saw him coming across the yard with the kitten and put him at the front door and then wait for Sue to come and pick him up and take him inside. Levi followed Sue into the house and watched over him the rest of his life.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Grillmeister
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to hear about that, too.

Me too!
Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer

Have been busy and just check in...so sorry to hear of about Levi...

My heart goes out to you and Sue and all the furbies
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
MrsSoCalToolGuy wrote:
Richard, just curious how Levi brought Izzy into your lives? Did he actually bring home a kitty?

Barb

I'd like to hear about that, too.

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer

Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today has been a better day but the tears are still easy to find. I walk though the house and expect to see Levi lying in a certain spot. Izzie has taken up sleeping in Leviโ€™s bed today, I donโ€™t have the heart to move it. When I think of Levi there is the revelation that it was he that literally brought Izzie to our home and dropped him at the front door. It was Levi that introduced us to Old Fella. It was old Fella that captured our hearts and imagination to build a rescue organization that brought Suzie, Anna, Dixie and Savannah into our lives. Levi brought a lot of change that was good and enlightening..

His love is what dreams are made of. Everyone dreams of having someone who is accepting, forgiving and always eager to please, never complaining and always ready to go anywhere you want. Tomorrow will come and lessen the pain and Sue and I will learn to go on building memories with Fella, Suzie, and Izzie. When I looked at one of the photo albums today I saw a picture of Levi taken October 1999 at Magnolia Springs State Park and in the margin was written โ€œLevi our new friendโ€ pictured playing with Sue next to our camper.

I want to thank all of you for your heart felt words of comfort that has helped ease the pain because it has made me realize how much he meant to so many people. Thank you for being there for all of us.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Spirit of Levi Waynesboro City Animal Rescue

They sure have a ring of caring about them.
Bless you Richard and Sue
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my goodness......Richard I'm just catching up and am reading with tears. I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss........please try to take comfort in knowing that Levi is no longer in pain.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Grillmeister
Explorer
Explorer
The Spirit of Levi Waynesboro City rescue...

Good one!
Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Richard, I know the feelings of guilt....when we put Maddey to sleep 3 years ago I thought I would die. Her mind was perfect. It was just the back legs. Oh you'll never be able to make that call my husband's family said. So I did. And I live with the guilt that perhaps we could have had a couple more months. But for what? She had lost the use of her back legs. She couldn't get her footing in the house. We had to almost carry her up the stairs. I just couldn't do it anymore. I do live with the guilt. I had nightmares and frankly drank too much wine to try and deal with it. Robin of robinandbob pet forum "talked" me through most of it then finally did a reality "smack upside the head" and told me I needed to get a grip and live for everything I have. It was a tough thing to hear, but she was right. I still miss Maddey, I still feel guilty, wondering if we could have had more time, but I also know that time would not have changed a thing. Just like had you waited for Levi, his pain would only have gotten worse. He would have suffered more. I sometimes wonder which is worse - the quick unexpected death or the long drawn out one. Either way, it is a loss to deal with. Prayers continue for Holly, Allison, and all of you at the house. Sometimes watching the animals grieve is even harder. Hope the others in your household soon adjust.
Jana
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
lviars50....your story is worth noting. When I was a child I also had a dog that had been going to the same vet for years and we totally trusted him. The dog developed bad breath and over a period of several months the vet pulled several teeth and tried several different treatments and no improvement. My parents finally took him to a different vet who took one LOOK at him and told us the dog was riddled with cancer. Xrays confirmed the diagnosis.

Perhaps with our animals we might consider getting second opinions as we do with humans.....IF you feel the vet might be wrong. A second opinion cannot hurt but may give you comfort that you are doing the right thing at the time. We all learn from others experiences, thanks for sharing yours. A word to the wise is always appreciated.

Richard, you have been truly blessed to have such wonderful dogs, but I suspect that if you asked the dogs, they would say they were the ones blessed to have found you as their forever dad. Thank you for bringing their goodness and yours into our lives. We are all better people because of it.
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Richard don't beat yourself up about not getting the blood work done. When Neil had cancer I jumped through all the hoops and it still had the same results and I was 5K poorer. Some things are Gods will and nothing we do can change that.

ElBigDodgeO
Explorer
Explorer
<<>>

Looks like the successor/companion to the Old Fella Burke County Rescue is going to be the Spirit of Levi Waynesboro City rescue...

Best of luck to you.

Sandi, Matt, and Scooter
Still on the Road
2016 Coachman Freelander

Traveling with Maggie and Bruce Lee

"This is our Kingdom of Days"

lviars50
Explorer
Explorer
Levi never showed any signs of illness until Monday and by Thursday he was gone, has certainly changed our lives.

First of all let me say I'm so sorry for your loss.Oh my maybe i shouldn't post this now i don't know please forgive me if I'm doing wrong about telling my story at this sad time in your life.I just wont other people on this forum to be careful of the Vets they use.

Oh my the memories this brings back to me,just to say first i know that DR Jim is a good Vet and you truly trust him,but i just have to tell you my story.I have 2 fur babies (Chihuahuas) Daisy and Ellie.Me and Ellie was in a car wreck Dec 2006 hit in the rear while setting at a stop sign. Ellie was knocked into the floor by the impact, at first though she was OK but a few days later noticed her limping, so took her to Dr Vaughn her regular vet and had been every since i got her at 6 weeks old.Well he said she had arthritis gave her meds sent her home she got no better,so took her back to Dr Vaughn so he said he wonted to do xrays see what was going on in there so i left her and told him to go ahead.I went home and he called me to come back in he wonted to go over the xrays with me,showed them to me said she had cancer in her leg and he would recommend taking her leg off but it would do no good cause it had done spread to her bones and lungs he said there was different treatments that we could do but i would just be causing her a lot of pain cause it would not do any good maybe just prolong her life maybe a few months.If he was me he would just watch her and when the pain seemed really bad put her to sleep oh my i thought i was going to die.I went home with her but i would not accept she had cancer she acted alright except for the limping and she was eating like a little hog,so i called Va Tech they have a Vet clinic there at the college and i told them what was going on about the wreck and Dr Vaughn saying Ellie had cancer so they had me to bring her there to be checked.Ellie did not have cancer but a torn ligament in her leg they done surgery and she is doing wonderful so please be careful with the Vets you are using.I wonted to tell you my story because Vets do make mistakes if i had listened a perfectly healthy dog would have been sent to Rainbow Bridge way before her time here was up at 4 yrs old.
Lois
Tom & Lois Viars
Vacation Rentals By Owner in Beautiful Smoky Mountains Tn
smokymtnrentals@yahoo.com
www.vrbo.com/207287
www.vrbo.com/209753

04 40FT Alfa See Ya 1614
Towing 2000 Suzuki Vitara
TTNLTR,C2C,RPI,PA,AOR,FMCA,GOODSAMS
AND THE BEST WALLY-WORLD