cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,299 REPLIES 32,299

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
and so the tale of old fella picks up speed and continues on. What a wonderful group of support and Friends this has become. Very much like a Family.

Everyone have a wonderful day and continue on. I myself have become more of a lurker but I do indeed lurk everyday only jumping in when I have something worthwhile to say or encourage a "family member".

Gary good luck on winning but even if you don't Dash has gotten the recognition he deserves and he is already a winner in your heart where it counts.

Shirley (the lurker :W )
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Dan How are you doing ??? Bet you are not shovelling that snow yet...
How is Sarahs hip. Is she going to have surgery to correct it???
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning from the warm North.:B:B we are at a wonderful 21* with a wind chill of around 6. Richard, It sounds like you are eating a little crow sayin you are glad you are there and not in Grand Rapids area. Yes, I did forget to shut the door and keep the cool weather up here.Sorry:B:B We got a little more snow overnight. It looks pretty and also disgusting at the same time. Anna loves the snow and comes in looking like a bulldozer. She sticks her head down and plows. Sarah on the other hand can take it or leave it but mostly leave it.

Good Luck to Gary and Dash.....
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:
You remember when I posted here back in July about how Dash saved me from possibly being bitten by a rattlesnake while hiking in Colorado? Well, I submitted the story as a nomination for the American Red Cross Mile High Chapter's Animal Hero of the Year award. The nomination was accepted and I will know later this month whether Dash wins.

Richard, I'd love to see a high in the lower 40's. We haven't been that warm in weeks. This season, Evergreen Lake opened to skating unusually early, and I still have ice on my driveway from several storms ago. Doesn't look like I'm getting the RV out anytime soon for a mid-winter tune-up.

Good luck Gary on the Animal Hero of the Year, hope Dash wims. I guess being from such warm cilmate the lower and mid 40's seems cold. According to the Weather man, this is the coldest winter so far in twenty five years. The forcast keeps changing for Thursday from snow to no snow, I don't think they know what its going to do.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Gee Gary that is exciting. Please keep us informed.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
You remember when I posted here back in July about how Dash saved me from possibly being bitten by a rattlesnake while hiking in Colorado? Well, I submitted the story as a nomination for the American Red Cross Mile High Chapter's Animal Hero of the Year award. The nomination was accepted and I will know later this month whether Dash wins.

Richard, I'd love to see a high in the lower 40's. We haven't been that warm in weeks. This season, Evergreen Lake opened to skating unusually early, and I still have ice on my driveway from several storms ago. Doesn't look like I'm getting the RV out anytime soon for a mid-winter tune-up.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
My feet are like blocks of ice, the dogs refuse to go outside and there is no relief in sight, IT"S COLD!!! The low tonight is 18* with a high in the lower 40's tomorrow. They are talking about snow on Thursday, what happened to the Deep South with its mild winters? I believe while we were sleeping someone slid the whole Southern states northward into Alaska.

Mama, Hobo, Peaches and Suzie don't want to go outside tonigh and I don't blame them. Okay I am going to bed and crawl under all the heavy blankets we have, talk with you in the morning.

Wife Sue

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone seen the animated movie "UP"? It is so cute...and the word they use to distract the dogs is "SQUIRREL"!!!!
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning Dixie Flyer and I agree it is going to be a blessed day.

Shirley
Ron & Shirley

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somebody is in big trouble! The refrigerator door to the great North was left open last night and it is very cold outside. The outside temp is 20* and the high today will be in the lower 40โ€™s, thatโ€™s cold for the Deep South! The fur gang didnโ€™t waste any time getting their job done this morning and wanting to come back inside. Mama was at the bedside this morning woof, woof, growl, growl, itโ€™s time to get up and get going, come on, hit the floor, letโ€™s go! When the door was opened her eyes got very big, then she wasnโ€™t sure about going outside. But anyway they all went running into the yard seeing who could get to the Pecan tree first chasing imaginary squirrels and barking with enthusiasm. Of course Suzie as always puts her front paws on the trunk of the tree stretching her body as far as she can with her head held in an upward position looking for the pesky little rodents that invade the yard and steal the pecans lying on the ground. I guess everyone knows by now Suzie and Hobo along with Peaches eats the small pecans, hull and all.

Anyway, itโ€™s a great morning with plenty of sunshine and hope that we will have a blessed day. Talk with you later.

Wife Sue

karen_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Just loved that quote,"Old dogs and old people are both true blessings in our lives." How true. Thanks it made my day.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, 21 should feel warm to us. It is 9* with a windchill of -7 right now. Not conducive to sunbathing quite yet. Need to let it warm up a tad....:B:B:B:B
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is bitter cold here in the Deep South this morning as the outside temp has dipped to 21*. The high today will be 45* so it will be chilly. The fur gang went outside this morning for their morning break,but decided it was too cold to stay for long. Mama came to the kitchen window and barked to let me know it was time for me to get a move on and let them in.

Sue is leaving for Simpsonville, SC to stay with Joshua and Holly for the week while Allison and Jeff go on a cruise, so its me and the fur gang all alone, let's see, what can we get into while the boss is away??? Oh yes, I don't plan to cross any bridges just yet, but we never know do we?

Wife Sue

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Dr Doug so sorry to hear of your loss but with the kindness and support of your friends/family on the RV.Net forum all will eventually be ok.

Richard good to hear you are still working on that book. You mentioned if it would be ok to use names from the forum in the book. I cannot imagine anyone who would object to that. You also mentioned you would "cross that bridge" when you come to it. I did get a chuckle out of that phrase. You don't need to be thinking about crossing any bridges in your near future. LOL

Happy New Year Everyone and what a wonderful new year it will be for all of us.

"Old Dogs and Old People" both are a true blessing in our lives.

Ron & Shirley
Ron & Shirley

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Welsome GUy
THanks for rescuing your furbabies., BOth mine are rescues but i started Rving with 5, It was a wonderful experience
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge