cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,299 REPLIES 32,299

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everybody-long time no type. DH and I finally sent our brick info to Richard - oh it was so hard to decide what to put on it! We'll look forward to seeing the walkway some day. It's a pleasure to hear about the Old Fella Rescue stories. Maybe we'll see you in Branson next year.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a very bad storm last night, but I haven't seen any damage as I ventured outside and then to Augusta. It is considerably cooler outside today however and that's nice. I am just about finished with the small details on the camper getting ready for our trip to Caledonia, Michigan July 1st. All I have to do now is give the wheel bearings a shot of grease and adjust the brakes and we will be ready to go, except for a good washing on the outside and a good cleaning on the inside. Four dogs shed a lot of hair don't they? Sue and I have been discussing if we should leave Suzie and Hobo at home. Both of them don't care too much for traveling, but I hate to see them miss out on the fun once we get there. Sue's brother John has such a nice place on the lake and the dogs would enjoy the water. However taking care of four dogs at rest stops and each morning is quite a chore. Try feeding four dogs at one time when you have two that are hungry hounds and you have two that like to nible all during the day, makes things interesting.

Walter it is good to have you back on the forum, you have been missed greatly. Okay I need to go and start with the wheel bearings on the camper, but I have to eat something first. See ya!

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
dturm wrote:
DOTLDaddy wrote:
dturm wrote:
As a native of St. Louis area ....
Where abouts in the St. Louis area???

Kirkwood, my mother still lives there and I have a brother and family from Florissant.
Yet another example of what a small world we live in. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was born and raised in Kirkwood and lived there until I went away to college in Kirksville.

Go Pioneers! :B

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelbaker wrote:
Hoops wrote:
Gary, great post. Wow Joel,to be that close to coast has to be great. Had relatives from that area, beautiful.

I work in sales and my territory includes Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, and Half Moon Bay. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. BTW, my new job is selling pet accessories! I get to work with animals for money!

Yep, gotta love the City. I grew up on 41st ave, not too far from the beach. Use to cruise the Great HWY and hang out down around the Haight Ashberry district during the Beatnik Days. Great times. Use to go to the drags at Half Moon Bay. Too bad about Playland.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

lviars50
Explorer
Explorer
I feel truly blessed to have found this group and all the wonderful people on it ... I do not post much but always have to check out all my friends post and see what all the fur babies are doing.
GOD bless you all ...you will never know how much pleasure i get from this group.

Lois

CindyNRoger wrote:
As with Fella, I feel honored and blessed to have met your fur kids Richard. What a wonderful family! Like Fella, all they want is love.

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!
Tom & Lois Viars
Vacation Rentals By Owner in Beautiful Smoky Mountains Tn
smokymtnrentals@yahoo.com
www.vrbo.com/207287
www.vrbo.com/209753

04 40FT Alfa See Ya 1614
Towing 2000 Suzuki Vitara
TTNLTR,C2C,RPI,PA,AOR,FMCA,GOODSAMS
AND THE BEST WALLY-WORLD

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Hoops wrote:
Gary, great post. Wow Joel,to be that close to coast has to be great. Had relatives from that area, beautiful.

I work in sales and my territory includes Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, and Half Moon Bay. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. BTW, my new job is selling pet accessories! I get to work with animals for money!
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
When I have plenty of time and money I would like to tour the California coast all the way up as far as you can go. The problem is I get home sick after a while because of the Old Fella work that needs to be done. Maybe one day Sue and I can do that.

Richard, I sure hope you, Sue, and the gang can make it out here some time. I'd love to introduce you to our menagerie. Oh, in addition to my three sons we also have 10 pets - we just adopted another rabbit (#4) this past weekend!
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I have plenty of time and money I would like to tour the California coast all the way up as far as you can go. The problem is I get home sick after a while because of the Old Fella work that needs to be done. Maybe one day Sue and I can do that.

Wife Sue

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
As a native of St. Louis area - the Gateway to the West, I can attest that Branson is definitely west of the Mississippi. Far enough to be considered a western rally is pushing it ๐Ÿ™‚

Doug

Personally I agree that Branson is west of the Mississippi. but would be considered 'Western' only in terms of Lewis and Clark. For me personally to consider a rally (or other location) to be 'Western' it would have to be west of the Rockies. Then again I'm only about 20 miles from the Pacific coast.
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Lori and I and Jim and Mable are definately in. Possibly Mable's brother and wife from Texas again this year. I have posted on the 2010 Old Fella Rally thread that we have already contacted Michelle and she will start putting something together when she gets paperwork signed.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

dturm
DOTLDaddy wrote:
dturm wrote:
As a native of St. Louis area ....
Where abouts in the St. Louis area???

Kirkwood, my mother still lives there and I have a brother and family from Florissant.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOTLDaddy wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Okay, so who is coming to Branson next June??
We may be able to come, but it would only be for the week-end itself. The middle of June is the start of my really, really busy time of the year here at work, and I sincerely doubt if I could take that Thursday and Friday off. ๐Ÿ˜›

Best case scenerio is we'd arrive Friday evening and leave Sunday morning.

Hi Walter, it would be great to see you and Garland again. I want you to meet Mama and Hobo, the new additions to the family and I don't think you have ever met Suzie and Peaches, My how the family has changed and grown since the last rally in Branson. The first ten that register for the rally will get $10.00 off on the evening cruise and meal with the Branson Belle. So sign up and come join us.

Wife Sue

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
CindyNRoger wrote:
DOTLDaddy wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
We may be able to come, but it would only be for the week-end itself. The middle of June is the start of my really, really busy time of the year here at work, and I sincerely doubt if I could take that Thursday and Friday off. ๐Ÿ˜›

Sure missed you this year!!!!!!!!!!
Aww jeez . . . . I bet you say that to all the guys.๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:

Sure missed you this year!!!!!!!!!!