cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,294 REPLIES 32,294

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's Richards birthday today, so happiest of Birthdays to you Richard. I remember when he and Fella started this Blog and have followed since it started. I only have one regret in the years of following The Old Fella Story and that is not meeting Richard in person.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

dturm
Glad you are able to travel and things are going reasonably well. The weather here in Indiana is just starting to warm up. We're going to be close to 60 today but still close to freezing at night.

Safe travels.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
A week ago, Brendon, my 5-year old Scottie rescue, and I left the sunny climes of Florida for the frozen north. I thought surely it would be a little warmer end of April. . . Not so. It is 35ยฐ here in Charlotteville, Virginia, and I am miserable. But we made the trip up here in 3 days, which is what I planned. We have been here for 5 days and helped my oldest grandchild celebrate his 14th birthday! Nice to celebrate something since this is where we were when Terry died last October.

We leave this morning and head to Indiana. Stopping in Ohio to see our fellow Alaska travelers and hoping Tab can explain a few things on the motorhome to me. I am in MinnieMee, my little 22 1/2' B+, and she's doing a good job for me. Once I get to Indiana, I have an appointment in Shipshewana to get my fridge fixed. It only works on gas. . . yeah, that's right. . . go figure. It NEVER happens that way, does it? It's normally the other way around. But on gas everything is perfect. I want the electric side fixed so I can use the gas furnace more. I have an electric space heater that does well, but the gas furnace warms more area.

I am doing well. Solo traveling takes some getting used to as well as solo camping. I have been able to drive the motorhome to my daughter's every day. I have to park in front of their house, but it is fairly level and they put in a 30Amp plug on the front of their house when they updated the electric service. I didn't have to use it this time. They mainly did that so if my dog is in there, we can keep him cool. My SIL is allergic to him, so he cannot be in the house. Most days this week, it warmed up nicely on the back deck and we all sat outside.

Hope everyone is doing well.

DALE
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
No posts in 10 days. It seems this long running thread might be coming to an end which I don't like! I guess I am guilty as I haven't posted in awhile but I check in all the time.

The fur babies are doing well. They have the life of royalty. They get everything they could ever ask for and get to sleep all day. They don't have to worry about the issues in the world or whether that will get a meal each day. I know a lot of dogs don't get that kind of life but mine sure our spoiled!

Richard, I hope you are doing OK. I miss your daily postings. I know your health isn't what is used to be but we would sure like to hear from you.

I am so glad I got to go to Sevierville almost 2 years ago and got to meet several of you. At least I got to go to to the last Old Fella event.

I hope everyone is doing well. If you get a few minutes, post a message so we know you are OK and people are still reading the Old Fell thread.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Happy Birthday, Pickles.

Richard - hope all is well.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Happy Birthday, Pickles!

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

cimac
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Birthday Pickles! Keep your parents in line.
2013 Ford F350 PS CrewCab 4wd Dually
2011 Mobile Suites 36' RSSB3

Charles and Charlotte
Pet Crew: Guy 8 and Daisy 7. (All Rescues)
Rainbow Bridge: Bear 10, Raisins 11, Cookie 15, Bubba 11 , Oreo 16, Princess 13

riah
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Birthday Pickles!

riah
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Richard, Chin up mate! Just keep looking at the positives! Plus, in the big scheme of things, so what if it takes you a bit longer to get going or get ready than before? Iโ€™m sure trips with your family will be nice for all. Iโ€™d give anything to be able to spend more time with my parents and grandparents! Do you have a walker or similar aid? You could put a chair in the shower of the RV if itโ€™s not a wet bath design. I know it sounds cliche, but, I took to heart a story I read years back about a Holocaust survivor that found something positive to thank god for when they were held encamped. I personally try to use this strategy, especially when I am feeling a bit down or defeated! It seems to help me and I hope it will be helpful to you too! Take care! Be safe! Hugs!!!

Dixie Flyer wrote:
Glad t hear so much goodnews frm everyone, I am not doing well at all. Parkinson is doing me in, many bad days especially early mornings The mornings I cant;s seem to get going, THis morning I stayed in bed untiil 11:30 Had an APPOIMTMENT TO SEE THE THEROPIST ANd JUST COIULD n0t Make it. Daughter Allison and Son in Law Jeffery bought a new motorhome to take us campimg with them. its a class C thirty foot very nice and roomy. There would not be any long trips just week end outtings with us just tagging along with them. its hard for me to get get showered and dressed each morning. Just can't seem to get my feet in the right direction and keep my balance without falling over. Parkinson is hell to deal wthh. Would not wish this in anyone.just a like a baby in many respects. Except this baby is 160 pounds and has a stubborn mind of his own. IT was good while it lasted, but it us over.I feel sorry for Sue ahe has to deal with this every day. Just remember me as I was. WE have had some sun time together. LOve all of y0ou, best of friends forever. DIxie Flyer.

dturm
Happy Birthday Pickles!!! Tell mom and dad that you need a cake...
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today is Pickles Birthday. She turned 10 years old today.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy Easter to everyone.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Poor little guy, Burch. Glad you got him fixed up. He should be able to enjoy the weekend now as well!

Have fun. I'm thinking of heading to Virginia in MinnieMee, my 22' motorhome with my Scottie, Brendon. From there to Indiana to see my 96 year old Mom. We've all been vaccinated, so hopefully I can spend some time with her.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good Afternoon FOOFs! We haven't taken a trip in the motorhome since early February but have a weekend trip planned this weekend. I'm going to try and leave around 2pm or so on Friday and we are heading to Palm Harbor Florida. I will be visiting a friend that is a snowbird that will be heading back up north in a couple of weeks. I am staying in a new to me RV park so I am looking forward to checking out a new area.

Little Pinto (our Chihuahua) had to have minor surgery last week. He was bleeding from his behind and was not feeling well. We took him to the vet and one of his anal glads had ruptured. He had to take some meds for a few days and then we took him back to the vet so he could clean both glands. Was only about a 20 minute procedure (they had to put him under) but the poor little guy was in a lot of discomfort (he is only 5lbs). He is back to his feisty self now and I am so happy to see him back to feeling good again.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking about renting a motorhome for a week or two and heading south to see some relatives we haven't seen in while, down around Waycross, Ga. THen haed NOrth toward Michigan. WIll know later just how this will all work out. It depends on how well my new teste work out and what the doctor thinks about my future. okay I am tired and need to go to bed so I will call it a night and will talk with you lster.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.