cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Campfires: Love them or hate them?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
For some, campfires mean bedtime stories, roasted hot dogs and marshmallows. For my wife and me, on a recent overnight at Lathrop State Park near Walsenburg CO, campfire smoke meant sneezing, itchy eyes, and runny noses. Never another campfire wouldn't break my heart.

So I'm wondering, how do the rest of you feel about campfires? Do you love them? Hate them? Or don't care one way or the other?
150 REPLIES 150

jibocach
Explorer
Explorer
We like them, but won't have them every night (we roadtrip with our HTT). When we do have them, we try to come up with some new campfire recipe for everyone to try.
2007 Starcraft XP 18RB
Our Cottage On Wheels

jaybrown
Explorer
Explorer
We don't like the smoke then we have to take late night showers before bed...not very safe for the little kids either.....the place we go most of the time does not allow them since its a rv park.

Kalait
Explorer
Explorer
We love our fires at night, we also cook on them, come over and roast your marshmallows all you wish 🙂 Yes, there are those who can not tolerate the smoke due to allergies or other health problems, our prayers are with you.
Kalait

2010 Xterra
2011 Passport 199ml

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
I have to have a campfire, but I only burn dry seasoned wood. I burn 8-10 cord a yr to heat our house, so another cord or two for camping is no big deal. Seasoned wood = litle or no smoke...

Our new TT has been sittin in the driveway for 3 weeks, waitin for the CG to open.(May 1st)..DW had to have a campfire in our yard every weekend since our new TT has been here..

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
I could really go either way with a fire but they usually last so long so if I want to catch a movie or read during a campout then that is severely limited by a fire. But a fire is wifey's ritual and I would not deny her that with all she deals with me. Fire it is. Ideally with hard wood.

Of course if it's a bunch of dudes that's different. Fire and beers all night. That is followed by someone jumping the fire followed by various acts of one upsmanship ultimately leading to flashing lights and sirens from one or more of fire trucks, ambulance, police, ranger, etc. Good times.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have been taking our grandson rving since he was big enough to walk. He and his grandma absolutely DEMAND any cg we stay at MUST have a fire ring or else!! I too have found it's really the only place we actually sit down and actually talk to each other without the myriad of distractions of the dinner table at home.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago, DW insisted that we had to get one of those. I don't think it's been out of the storage bin more than 3 times since then...... 😞

Unless you are in a CG that does not allow burning wood, they are useless IMO.......
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I don't like about my LPG firepit is that I constantly have to be vigilant against drunken guests who try to throw cigarette butts into it.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Love a good campfire. Hate the smell of burning plastic when the neighbors start tossing trash in theirs...... 😞
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like them except when the smoke is blowing in the windows and seams while we try to sleep. We've actually left the cg for a while because it was choking us. Especially don't care for it when they are burning old milk cartons or trash in their fires.
We build one occasionally at one cg we favor in fron of the coach near the water when it won't be blowing into the neighbors windows.

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta have a nice campfire to pass the time while we listen to the 200W Kenwood/Polk stereo system! Bring your Ipod. 🙂

Penguelephants
Explorer
Explorer
Love me a proper campfire! I try to cook anything I can on them too, save the inside mess and propane costs.
The Wandering Penguelephants

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:

.....So I'm wondering, how do the rest of you feel about campfires? Do you love them? Hate them? Or don't care one way or the other?

When a CG is cramped (sites close together) and most people have a campfire, it can be the pits with smoke. Some people don't seem to care... they go off to bed and their fire becomes smokey coals. For the rest of the night everyone around them has to close their windows or suffer.

When we have a fire we put it out with water when we go to bed.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
Like 'em. Prefer them over any type of noise nuisance.

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jake2550 - old chief says "white man builds BIG fire and freezes, Indian builds small fire, stands close and stays warm!"