cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Admission to CA after DUI 10 years ago

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
My brother and I wish to drive to AK fron California but he had a DUI over ten years ago, can he enter CA?

My wife heard on GMA or The Today Show that after ten years it would be okay.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
31 REPLIES 31

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Time to close this thread as it has deteriorated. Also, the OP has posted his thanks and intent going forward.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
You know, I wouldn't mention it, even if they asked!

WoodGlue

oh yes yes yes..please do this....Oh God, please do it....

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tumbleweeds wrote:
I need to find an answer from a real live person.
Any suggestions?
No, just a question. Since you're not the OP, what are you talking about?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Tumbleweeds wrote:

Lots of advice to contact the right authorities, nobody says who or how or gives a link/ phone # to an actual office or agency. Lots of conflicting info here about the ten year rule, I need to find an answer from a real live person.
Any suggestions?

:h

The following backthread post doesn't work for you?

sue.t wrote:
From the horse herds' mouths:

FAQ from Citizenship and Immigration Canada

I was convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Can I enter Canada?

It depends. If you have been convicted of driving under the influence, you are criminally inadmissible to Canada. However, you may be eligible for individual or deemed rehabilitation, depending on how much time has passed. Under some circumstances, you may also be offered a fee-exempt temporary resident permit for one visit to Canada under CIC's new policy on criminal inadmissibility.

From the Embassy of the Unites States (Ottawa)

Drunk Driving or other Criminal Record

Anyone with a criminal record (including a drunk driving conviction) may be excluded from Canada. A waiver of exclusion may be issued but several weeks are required and a processing fee must be paid. Contact the Canadian Embassy or a Canadian Consulate in the U.S. for more information.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Tumbleweeds
Explorer
Explorer
Never mind, google worked better.

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
You know, I wouldn't mention it, even if they asked!

I guess I'm morally corrupt!

:B

WoodGlue

You don't have to mention it.. It will pop up when your name or passport is entered into the system . Also doesn't matter if you are driver or passenger.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Tumbleweeds
Explorer
Explorer
SWD wrote:
In the end the moral of the story is.......Dont drink and drive...and you'll save yourself and others a lot of headaches!

And this answers the OP how?
That ship sailed 30 years ago for me.

Lots of advice to contact the right authorities, nobody says who or how or gives a link/ phone # to an actual office or agency. Lots of conflicting info here about the ten year rule, I need to find an answer
from a real live person.
Any suggestions?

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Our laws are different here. Impaired driving is taken very seriously, not that other countries do not take it seriously. It is best to do homework before doing any travelling and not assume things. Don't take the chance you will automatically be allowed entry.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Did he have outstanding warrants for his arrest because of the DUI, and he never settled his court case? If so, I don't have an answer. If he settled the case, paid his fine, paid his time, or whatever, he should not have any lingering "after affect" after 10 years, unless his license was suspended or revoked. If he's legal, there should be no reason why he should not be able to enter CA. However, if there was a problem with his driving record, he might not want to be the driver when he crosses over.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I'm going to suggest he have his company's attorney check for him like they were sending him up there to work.

Thanks a lot.

:E
Could be out of the frying pan and into the fire...Canada's even more belligerent about U.S.A. foreigners WORKING inside the country than they are about DUI's!

A few years ago a friend of ours was detained at the border for hours because he had legally worked in Canada a year or two before his (purely recreational) visit. He literally had to prove he was on vacation from his regular job in the U.S.A. before they let him in to the country.

I'd sure think twice about getting my name into some "I want to work in Canada" database...
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Well thanks for the answers, I found a section of the admissions code that lists two different code changes from 2012 and 2014. They have different definitions of rehabilitated. Their web page also says that getting a permit to enter will take at least a year.

I talked to my Bro a couple of hours ago and he said with the economy still in the tank here in California, he can't afford to go. I'm going to suggest he have his company's attorney check for him like they were sending him up there to work.

Thanks a lot.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
gk wrote:
You need to formally apply to the Canadian Embassy to have this removed from your record. It is crazy. And on the other hand, Rob Ford gets free access to the USA even though he has admitted to using crack. But that is another subject!

Rob Ford's Crack now haunts this forum :E :B
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
sue.t wrote:
From the horse herds' mouths:

FAQ from Citizenship and Immigration Canada

I was convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Can I enter Canada?

It depends. If you have been convicted of driving under the influence, you are criminally inadmissible to Canada. However, you may be eligible for individual or deemed rehabilitation, depending on how much time has passed. Under some circumstances, you may also be offered a fee-exempt temporary resident permit for one visit to Canada under CIC's new policy on criminal inadmissibility.

From the Embassy of the Unites States (Ottawa)

Drunk Driving or other Criminal Record

Anyone with a criminal record (including a drunk driving conviction) may be excluded from Canada. A waiver of exclusion may be issued but several weeks are required and a processing fee must be paid. Contact the Canadian Embassy or a Canadian Consulate in the U.S. for more information.

This is the most current information. There is no automatic admission after any number of years.

gk
Explorer
Explorer
You need to formally apply to the Canadian Embassy to have this removed from your record. A DUI on your record from the US is considered a crime in Canada. A family member of ours had it in California. Flew into Vancouver and was not allowed entry and was flown back to LA that day. She has had to pay and make a formal request to have it taken off her record. That was 5 years ago and she is still waiting as apparently it take years to go through the process. She was told that if she gets the right border guard she may be lucky to fly into Seattle and cross with a car but not by flying directly into Vancouver. It is crazy. And on the other hand, Rob Ford gets free access to the USA even though he has admitted to using crack. But that is another subject!