Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please route from NH to VA

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for your great website.

Need your thoughts on a route to avoid cities as much as possible as this will be our first snowbird trip in our first fifth wheel and diesel truck. We are members of Good Sam and have the RV GPS. This is our first time planning a trip and have found Google maps to be clear and concise. Do you suggest any other websites?

Would like your voice of experience, please, avoiding bridges, mostly!

93 to 495 to 90 to 84 to 287 to 78 to 81 to what to avoid Baltimore and DC.

We do need to pick up Route 17 into our destination, Urbanna, VA off of I-95 outside of Fredericksburg.
15 REPLIES 15

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:
AlmostBoatless wrote:
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions! Such a pleasure these members are!

Boatless,
we do this trip 4 to 5 times a year Now we live in Ct near the NY border... but Coming down 84 into Hartford is no big deal..in less than 15 minutes you will be thru it....less traffic then 495 going thru Lowell...so do 84 to Newburgh ,NY..go south on I-87 to Sufferin,NY..there pickup 287 west/south to I-78 it is 45 miles ..go I-78 west to I-81...nice ride ..then 81 west..to I-66 near Front Royal,Va...go on 66 for 25 miles to RT 17 toward Warrenton,Va,do the by-pas and stay on 17 all the way to 95 in Spotavanynia...then to your destination....
As for campgrounds..there is Western Village in Carslile ,Pa..or if you want to go more there is Falling Waters campsite in Falling Waters W Va..exit 23 off 81...or another 30-40 miles is Candy Hill in Winchester ,Va
Any questions ,just ask away..Chuck

Thank you so much for this! Yes, that was exactly what I was concerned about around Hartford area, but you sound like you have been there and done that, so appreciate your experience.

Yes, we were concerned about the bridge height, good to know that all major highways are minimum 14'.

Now onto the fun part, what to see and do along the way?

Thanks again, everyone!;)

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
AlmostBoatless wrote:
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions! Such a pleasure these members are!

Boatless,
we do this trip 4 to 5 times a year Now we live in Ct near the NY border... but Coming down 84 into Hartford is no big deal..in less than 15 minutes you will be thru it....less traffic then 495 going thru Lowell...so do 84 to Newburgh ,NY..go south on I-87 to Sufferin,NY..there pickup 287 west/south to I-78 it is 45 miles ..go I-78 west to I-81...nice ride ..then 81 west..to I-66 near Front Royal,Va...go on 66 for 25 miles to RT 17 toward Warrenton,Va,do the by-pas and stay on 17 all the way to 95 in Spotavanynia...then to your destination....
As for campgrounds..there is Western Village in Carslile ,Pa..or if you want to go more there is Falling Waters campsite in Falling Waters W Va..exit 23 off 81...or another 30-40 miles is Candy Hill in Winchester ,Va
Any questions ,just ask away..Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did 81 out of Harrisburg last year and it was fine. We did 81 out of Scranton this year and the road was miserable. Construction etc. I'd take I78 to Harrisburg. You can pick up I78 off of I287 in NJ.

You mention bridges; I'm assuming you mean clearance height. All interstates are 14 feet minimum.

We picked up US50 out of Winchester VA and connected with US17. This was a very scenic route. Much better than miles of I95 traffic. And although it looks longer on the map, by time you screw around with NY metro and DC metro areas traffic, it's shorter.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer

dwb4
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
AlmostBoatless wrote:
how is Route 84 in CT? It looks very near Hartford. Is there any other way to avoid Hartford?

I84 west to I91 south to I691 west back to I84 is shorter, better road and way less traffic. Heading east the signage sends you that way as an alternate rout.

I am heading down that way next month, may have to try this alt route.

lre01
Explorer
Explorer
84 to 81 to 66 to 17
Don't go thru Hartford or Waterbury between 7:45 and 9:00 am or 3:00 and 5:00 pm

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
81 from Harrisburg is good (You said you're coming down 78 to there?)

Lots of campgrounds near Hershey.

Candy Hill CG is near Winchester and not far off your route.

Sounds like a fun trip for you!
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
AlmostBoatless wrote:
how is Route 84 in CT? It looks very near Hartford. Is there any other way to avoid Hartford?

I84 west to I91 south to I691 west back to I84 is shorter, better road and way less traffic. Heading east the signage sends you that way as an alternate rout.

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You get 684 just west of Danbury CT in Brewster NY.

I take I81 to I66 and then US17, 17 gets on 66 for 2 exits (I think) when it gets off heading south so do I.

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use to plan your route? Google maps is clear and the routes show but I'm having a difficult time using/saving the route.

Thanks for any advice.

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I66 east and then US17. For me 17 is good all the way.

I take 684 to 287 and miss the city, it is shorter but 684 is falling apart so your way is maybe just as good.

Thanks for the input. 684 begins where? and where would you pick up 17?

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
WAY out of the way: You could take 81 all the way to 66 then to 17 into Fredericksburg area.

Less out of the way: 15 through Point of Rocks into VA and continue to 17

270/495/95 would be most direct but more traffic.

Thanks! I did look at that route. What is 81 like, how is the traffic? Bridges? CG rec's along the way ?

Mostly we are nervous about bridges and cities.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I66 east and then US17. For me 17 is good all the way.

I take 684 to 287 and miss the city, it is shorter but 684 is falling apart so your way is maybe just as good.