cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AG inspections coming into US at hwy 97 (Oroville)

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that they are doing an Ag search of all RVs heading into the US at the highway 97 crossing. They will collect any produce that does not have what they consider proper documentation. Best to be light on veggies/fruits when crossing this border station.
23 REPLIES 23

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through Nighthawk and returned via 395, normal questions, through in less than 2 minute's, nothing checked, just asked about our money and if we had over $1800 in purches coming into Canada.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Went thru yesterday..(19th) usual poke and smile. Nothing to it.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have crossed back and forth int Canada numerous times without any problems with anything but a tomato being confiscated. We did get detained for about an hour once while they searched our rv. No problems. They were doing their jobs. We got over it. No hard feelings.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I think sheltieRV just forgot to put the suffix on OROVILLE. The crossing is near OROVILLE, WA, not Oroville, CA which is on Hwy 99 and several hundred miles south of the US/Canada Boarder.

It is a easy mistake to make and I'm sure it won't impact anyone's produce bills.

Exactly right. No need for some here to rant on California/Kalifornia as the crossing is in Washington, although with all the Californiaโ€™s bailing and moving here I believe Washingtonโ€™s days are numbered.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Coming and going across both borders we were never asked about fruit, vegetables or meats this passed trip(2018 summer)
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
2lazy4U wrote:
I agree with Lakeside. Pretty tired of the attitude that the border agents take things for their own use. How about some proof.

Thank you 2lazy4U for the backup support. I too am tired of the border bashing.

Our border Officers are trying to protect our country's billion dollar Ag industry by not allowing invasive species decimate the citrus and vegetables produced here.

Others have mentioned the best way to cross the border without problems, travel with minimal fruits, veggies, alcohol and purchase what one requires from the local stores once in the host country.

Crossing the border is not a difficult process, unless one chooses to make it difficult.

Lakeside

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I think sheltieRV just forgot to put the suffix on OROVILLE. The crossing is near OROVILLE, WA, not Oroville, CA which is on Hwy 99 and several hundred miles south of the US/Canada Boarder.

It is a easy mistake to make and I'm sure it won't impact anyone's produce bills.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2lazy4U wrote:
I agree with Lakeside. Pretty tired of the attitude that the border agents take things for their own use. How about some proof.
X2

Heading to Canada I asked one US border agent what I could do with some fire wood. "Put it in that red truck and when it's full it's auctioned off to employees and the money is donated to help local kids." I felt good about helping.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only time when food inspections at the US Canada border were a big issue was during the mad cow era. Several times border agents have looked in the refer. One wanted our tomatoes and green onion tops (ie not the bottom which we cut off). They have never been concerned about pets, pet food or house plants.

The big four besides documentation are guns, alcohol, tobacco and firewood.

We don't carry excessive perishable food when crossing but the refer and some cabinets are full.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
I hope she enjoyed the one tomato she confiscated.

Absurd, because 'SHE' did not enjoy it. She was doing her job by seizing controlled products and that tomato was destroyed, not consumed.

Lakeside

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œThey?โ€ The State of California seeking to protect our agricultural industry isnโ€™t โ€œthey.โ€ Itโ€™s us. Long overdue. Dont โ€œbe light.โ€ Be in compliance.

Well said.

Lakeside

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Itโ€™s not just west coast, here in NY state crossings they do the these checks all the time.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
I really don't get why people have a struggle with crossing the border? Don't have any food in your RV. Period. Not even pet food unless it is clearly labelled as made in the US.

Yes, I know..food in the US can be much cheaper. However, loosing it at the border is so going to happen..and then people get mad. Why?

California...is a beautiful state. Probably couldn't afford to live on the coast but visiting? One of the best states to hang out in.

Gary Haupt

Gary has the right idea. Even though we're full-time, we know what's on the restricted list, and leave it behind. I've sat within sight of the border crossing, and ate my last grapefruit, before crossing. Informed the Customs Officer of that fact, and had them chuckle.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er