cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air for tires

KIS_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Is air available for topping off tires in Canada & Alaska, or should I plan on taking an air compressor with me. I will be driving a lot of side roads, parts of Dalton & Dempster.
16 REPLIES 16

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always carry a air compressor, not very much money and handy.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
You will find that Canadian air will last longer in your tires and the tires like it much better than the smoggy stuff they get here in the states. They don't mind loaning you some of their clean air, but don't let any of your old stuff out into the atmosphere up there, it's kind of frowned upon and isn't considered appropriate for visitors from the states to do that!

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
The most important thing to remember is make sure, when in Canada, to have metric air in your tires. Standard air used in the US and Alaska is 2.2 times lighter than metric air. If you enter Canada without switching, you may float off into the ozone layer.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

K_Reeve
Explorer
Explorer
Most gas stations will have air, some have water, but more and more stations are making the air / water all coin op, and short hoses just barely long enough to throw under the truck to reach the other side. so plan on having a decent supply of Canadian quarters and some now need Loonies that's our 1 buck coin.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
KIS Man wrote:
Is air available for topping off tires in Canada & Alaska, or should I plan on taking an air compressor with me. I will be driving a lot of side roads, parts of Dalton & Dempster.

Huh?
Good thing you asked. Tires don't use air in Cnada or Ak! Lol
Seriously, could be a couple hundred miles between gas stations, but that's what spare tires are for. Definately couldn't hurt to have some tire plugs and a compressor though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NewallaBus
Explorer
Explorer
Why carry an air compressor when you are driving a DP with a compressor powered by a Cummins engine? Just don't understand. Richard

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on a limited budget,so have only hand pump ,does the job just peachy plus I get nice work out ๐Ÿ™‚

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 12 volt compressor and string patch kit in the pickup. Used it about 50 miles out of Prudhoe Bay one year. Also carry a 5 hp 110 volt compressor in the motor home.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
you can buy a 100 psi compressor that plugs into a 12 volt socket.it takes a while but it does the job and its small,also pick up a puncture repair kit.very simple to do a plug. same as a tire shops.my compressor cost me 40 bucks,has a light and a guage and several different fittings and fits in my floor compartment of my ram.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't beat a compressor for getting stubborn fires going.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
In 1976 (why do I recall this???)...I drove a duece and a half (6 tires) from Squarebanks up the Haul Road to Prudhoe.....blew every tire on that trip. Switching the 2 spares I carried was enough of a pain...but patching the other 4 and pumping them up with a foot pump was a true PITA....all of that added at least 8 hours to the trip.

Between '76 and '83/84-ish, I made another 6 - 7 trips on the Haul Road with a variety of vehicles. Never again did I travel without a generator (loud noisy construction type) and a fair size air compressor.....and of course, didn't have another flat on the road.

I'd suggest that it is either prudent or inviting good karma to carry a small air compressor when taking the gravel roads in AK and NW Canada.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry THIS and a 400W MSW inverter.
They are currently on sale for $50.

If you do buy one follow the break-in instructions.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
It is wise to be self-sufficient, if possible. We've never travelled with an air compressor and haven't had an issue. But have had two flats on one trip up the Dempster, ironically one right in Inuvik due to a nail.

On our trip out from Inuvik, we passed and offered help to a fellow who had 4 flats along the Dempster and was driving on a flat because he had run out of spares.

Best advice I can offer is to ensure your tires are in good shape and rated properly for the load if you plan to enjoy the gravel highways and backroads.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry one of these Q Industries MV50 Portable 12VDC 150PSI Tankless Air Compressors (AMAZON) works just fine. I can air-up my trailer and truck tires and also use it for blowing out my water lines in the trailer when the temps drop below freezing...

Would not think of ever camping off the power grid without an 12VDC air compressor. Learned that big time back in OFF TRAIL JEEP days...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS