cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alaska - is generator required

Gamecock7483
Explorer
Explorer
Do most camp grounds have hook-ups or should we take along a generator? Thanks.
22 REPLIES 22

afraid_of_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. We'll also accept blue plaid. As for the generator, it's always nice to have a backup plan. We used ours a few times when we were up there. Mind you, we tend to not stay in campgrounds.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Generators aren't required when going to Alaska, but if traveling there by land you should be aware that you can't get into Canada unless you and everyone in your party has a red plaid shirt.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
A generator isn't required if you don't require a generator :B

We enjoy drycamping and don't always take our generator with us. For winter camping we take the generator, to keep the battery charged when we park for a couple of days, and on occasion we've used the generator for the truck's block heater on cold mornings (way below freezing).

Most campgrounds in the north have 15A, some have 30A and fewer have 50A.
Air conditioning usually isn't needed because it usually cools down at night.
In summer there's plenty of daylight so interior lights don't get a lot of use.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

taviking22
Explorer
Explorer
I took mine because I knew I'd be camping in a Denali NP campground with no hookups. I don't remember having used it on the drive up or back or anywhere else. At 75 lbs, taking my jenny was not a large weight liability.

So, yes, the many commercial campgrounds do have electricity at most sites.
taviking22
Omaha, NE

'06 2500HD Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ, Firestone air bags
2008 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
2012 Jayco Pinnacle 31RLTS

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
We spent several days(maybe weeks) dry camping. Generator sure was nice.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
GOOGLE says The 120VAC 60Hz power in Canada and Alaska is the same as used in the USA.

I'm sure you will find modern CAMP GROUND setups in Alaska just like we have here in the lower 48 states.

Your generator would however be a great PLAN B to use when needed.
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
If you are driving from South Carolina to Alaska and back, take a generator. You might never use it, or you might need it many times, but anything above zero is worth having it along.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
Well,,,,,they do take US currency. They report temperatures and wind in Deg F and MPH. Newspapers are published in English. The real estate market is liquid but does not suffer a melt-down every spring and become totally liquid.

Federal, State and Provincial campgrounds do not have power or water to the site, rare exceptions. Commercial campgrounds have power and water from about 1 June to 1 September, and some have waste at the site also. If you like boondocking in gravel pits and such take a generator.