cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Albuquerque to Phoenix

4advtr
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be travelling Albuquerque to Phoenix late next week. Wondering what the drive is like once you exit I-40 at Holbrook and drive 377 to 260. We're towing a 42' 5th wheel and would like to avoid narrow steep hills if possible, hence not going through the Salt Canyon.
2014 Redwood 38BR
2013 Ford F-350 6.7L SRW
B&W Turnover, 18K Companion
13 REPLIES 13

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Southbound Salt River will have some long 6% grades but mostly downhill in that direction. Just downshift and brake only when absolutely necessary. Lots of guardrails.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
az511.com will give you up to date road info. Has weather warnings, current road conditions, closures/restriction due to construction and accidents. even some live cameras.

You can also get the info by phone - dial 511 in state and 1-888-411-ROAD (7623) from anywhere.
Jack and Nina

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
The highway from west of Heber and south to Payson and on to Phoenix has several downhill grades but most are 4 lane divided and all good road. However, like I-40 its all high elevation and prone to heavy snows and closures. Watch the weather before traveling this area.

X2
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Salt River Canyon is an excellent drive and if you're satisfied with your exhaust brake you're good to go. Yes, semis drive it. If you take 260 your only concern would be weather - watch it closely. Right now the area is good.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4advtr
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Ah, come back thru Tucson! 🙂 Our weather is great.

I really don't think even Salt River Canyon is that bad. Yes, curves well guard railed but not a bunch of hairpin sheer dropoffs.

Weather will be weather. Good news and bad news in total but going thru Flagstaff will be much higher and longer but you will be on interstate. If the weather is good I would say go the 377.

So the last time I drove the Salt River Canyon was about 16 years ago. I'm trying to remember how it compares to some of the passes on I-70 in Colorado, they are much more recent memories for comparison sake. I assume semi's go down Salt River Canyon all the time?
2014 Redwood 38BR
2013 Ford F-350 6.7L SRW

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, come back thru Tucson! 🙂 Our weather is great.

I really don't think even Salt River Canyon is that bad. Yes, curves well guard railed but not a bunch of hairpin sheer dropoffs.

Weather will be weather. Good news and bad news in total but going thru Flagstaff will be much higher and longer but you will be on interstate. If the weather is good I would say go the 377.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

4advtr
Explorer
Explorer
crabbin cabin wrote:
Don & Carolyn wrote:
This is not the time of year to take that route. Last week brought snow to the higher elevations. At this time of year pulling a 5th wheel, the freeways will be safer.

No sir - the storms are long gone and those roads will be clear by the time the OP comes down. The grades/highways are nothing to worry about. Nice wide roads with lots of passing lanes or 4 lanes - esp. from Payson into Phx./Mesa.

As long as the grades aren't twisty with cliffs I don't mind too much. With the Ford I can just lock out gears and let the exhaust brake assist with the occasional dab of the brakes. Only have about 1500 miles towing the new 5th wheel and didn't want to give myself a heart attack just yet. We'll be getting into the Phoenix area late next week, not sure if this latest storm will bring snow to the area or not, have to keep an eye on the weather.

Would love to avoid going around through Tucson, did that when we left last summer and always like exploring new routes.
2014 Redwood 38BR
2013 Ford F-350 6.7L SRW

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Flagstaff can get feet of snow. If you check weather.com and find feet of snow, avoid both routes. At least check them. You might be best off taking I25 south to I10, and going the really long way around, especially if you wanted to see Tucson anyway.

It all depends on the snow depth. If you don't mind a little snow, then any route will be fine. If the weather is clear, then either route will be fine. If there is snow in Flagstaff, check Payson, and it might have much less. Also check going to I10, it might be totally clear, as the highest elevations are
around 5,500' but near the Mexico border, so much further south.

Have fun!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
The highway from west of Heber and south to Payson and on to Phoenix has several downhill grades but most are 4 lane divided and all good road. However, like I-40 its all high elevation and prone to heavy snows and closures. Watch the weather before traveling this area.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
Don & Carolyn wrote:
This is not the time of year to take that route. Last week brought snow to the higher elevations. At this time of year pulling a 5th wheel, the freeways will be safer.

No sir - the storms are long gone and those roads will be clear by the time the OP comes down. The grades/highways are nothing to worry about. Nice wide roads with lots of passing lanes or 4 lanes - esp. from Payson into Phx./Mesa.

Don___Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
Don & Carolyn

2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 6 speed
17' Casita Independence Deluxe

drillking
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't like steep grades just continue on I-40 to Flagstaff then south to Phoenix. All freeway
Sheridan & Barb
2014 Lifestyle LS37CKSL
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW
"On our way to the Gloryland with scenic stops along the way"!

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
There are grades just as steep as the Salt River Canyon on highway 87 between Payson and Phoenix, and the grade down into Payson is steeper than you will find in the Canyon. Myself, I do not mind the Canyon, the grades are around 7 percent. I always take route 117 just east of Grants, down to 36, then to 60 then straight into Phoenix.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel