cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Always double check your vehicle permit & VIN

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
They made a mistake of one letter on the permit for one of our caravan customers. They refused to cancel the permit on exit. ut was a 10 eyar permit with no deposit. I advised them to keep the permit with tehhe mistake, ignore it and just reenter mexico in following years. Just show teh permit with the worng VIN when they get naother tourist card, they do not check the VIN on the unit. If they sell the RV they will have to get a new one in the wife's name.

The moral is, that when they hand you that permit make sure the VIN is correct. I never have, I will in future and make sure all our custoemmers do as well.
5 REPLIES 5

qhor
Explorer
Explorer
When they checked my VIN at entry, the VIN on my registration showed a 2 instead of a Z. They accompanied me out to the MH to verify the error, but I had to show further proof of ownership with the proper VIN which is visible through the windshield. Fortunately I had a spec. sheet from the Manufacturer with signatures and such which they accepted as proof. Had registered the MH in my home province for years before, but nobody caught the error except Mexico on attempted entry.
Now, tell me who is more efficient.
Barry

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought a new truck in '92 and the dealer had a one-digit mistake on the paper work. I caught it before signing.
Could have been a nightmare.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Also check your proof of insurance card. My insurance card had the entire VIN totally wrong. Not just one letter!

I also had my trailer inspected, went to DMV to register and one of the letters was wrong. Had to go have that reissued.

Check everything carefully.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Take pictures of the VIN on closeup with your camera, then check out the pic on your computer or other device so you can see it easily.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Some years back I used to verify the VIN numbers for an insurance company, some are very difficult to see even in good light, one method that I found was to use a small flash light and place it horizontal to the numbers, with a cardboard shielding the sun.

Or read them at night with the flash light, I photograph my passport next to the VIN on the dashboard, having this allows me to enlarge the photo so that the numbers are more legible, sometimes you need to turn the flash off or turn it on depending on the angle of the windshield or shine the light on the tab with the numbers.

navegator