cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AZ Highway 191 - Safford to Alpine

FLSnowflake
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me if this is a good RVing road? Sounds like a spectacular 'tour' but mentions lots of tight turns and steep, and shows lots of 10 mph speed signs. I don't know that it can be too bad with copper mine trucks traveling it. Would like to hear from someone who's done it or anything else in that area. We'll be in a 25 foot Winnebago VIEW, not towing. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
It's known as the Coronado trail. Do it at least once.
jwmII

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I personally would not do in a RV. Did it in a pickup with cab over camper and it took 4 hrs from Alpine to Morenci. Too many curves and if sign say 15 MPH better plan on 10 or less. We also have done this on motorcycles and it still took a while particularly if you stop and look at the FEW turnouts.

Pretty good pull going north bound

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
With your 25' MH you'll have no problems. We did it with our 40' MH (by mistake). 🙂 Since then we've purchased the 'Mountain Directory for RVers and Truckers' and have never done a mountain road again without first researching it. It is a beautiful drive - especially in October when we did it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
There is not any mine trucks on 191 pickups only, big trucks are restricted. There is a big mine at the south end of it but they are working at the mine not traveling up and down 191. It is a pretty ride but you will be traveling through some rugged country with some sharp but doable turns and no services. After a couple hours you'll be in Springerville. Not much in Alpine but some pretty country. You just really need to be on your toes on parts of it mainly because of the turns, curves while watching for on coming traffic, which will be very little ..

2Shays3712
Explorer
Explorer
If you're not in a hurry, 10 to 35 mph North of the mine. After Hannigan's Meadow 50-55 mph. Worth doing once in a car, wouldn't tow my 5er now. We go over Mule Pass on Hwy 79, then on to Glenwood and on to Alpine. Also a pretty drive. A little quicker.

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
With your rig no problem at all. Definitely lots of twisty turns all the way but a great road. And no mining trucks ever use that road. They haul out to the south. Top off your gas tank though and maybe check weather conditions just for the heck of it. It's high up. There is a 12 foot 7 tunnel down at the south end and be sure to pull off and check down into the massive Mining pit before heading on up the road.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)