cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Austin TX to Carlsbad Caverns NM

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you in advance for any input to this post.

We would like to visit Carlsbad Caverns however we have heard of many horror stories regarding traveling along route 285 north towards Carlsbad Caverns. The issues are all relating to trucks from the fracking industry tearing up the road leading to broken windshields and rock chips.

I can easily avoid route 285 and take route 62 (180) West instead. Does anyone know if route 62 (180) is in good condition or is this road also broken up and in bad shape?

Thank you.
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014
4 REPLIES 4

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Check your other post. I gave some options.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your response,

Thank you all for your input.

We are finding that where to stay is becoming a larger issue than how to get there. We were hoping to find a suitable rv park closer to the park but that does not seem possible.

We are reevaluating our plans and may choose to skip the visit and go elsewhere. Big Bend is looking like a good alternative heading west.

If we go I will be sure to report back.
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at either Guadalupe NP or Brantley Lake State Park.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am not sure about 62/180 to the East of Seminole but certainly from Hobbs to the Caverns it is very good. I commute between the Hobbs area and El Paso at least 2x a month and the road is very good with minimal truck traffic.

However, going through Carlsbad things are just crowded, there are so many people there it can be very busy on the roads.

I do not have first hand experience with hwy 285 but do believe that you will find it very busy with oilfield truck traffic which does have a tendency to tear up the roads.

Not sure of your proposed route but you might consider I-10 to Van Horn and then head North and pick up 62/180 just downhill from the Guadalupe mountains and then go up to the caverns. Stopping at Guadalupe Mountains NP Visitor center should be included in your plans if you have never been this way.

As far as overnight stops - the RV parks in Carlsbad are all extremely full of oilfield workers so finding a spot there may be difficult. The KOA to the North of town seems like a nice place and is often recommended for visitors. It's a long drive to the caverns but there may be little choice. If you can go without hookups, there is a small RV area at Guadalupe Mtn NP.

Hope this helps at least a little. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Terry