cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Baton Rouge bypass query

Fishhawker
Explorer
Explorer
In a couple of months I'll be going from Pensacola Fl to Lafayette LA on I-10 pulling the 5th wheel

I would love to find an alternate route that would bypass Baton Rouge

Any recommendations?

Thanks for your time
10 REPLIES 10

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
Your fastest route is straight through BR on I-10/12. Avoid morning rush east to west. and evening rush west to east. Also the traffic will backup on the west bound lane from the Mississippi Bridge to Lobdell and beyond starting at about 2:00 PM. Since they widened to 3 lanes the traffic flows much better through BR.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
Actually there is a new bridge crossing the Mississippi north of Baton Rouge at St. Francisville. You could take highway 61 north from BR to the bridge than cross to New Roads and then down to Hwy 190 than west. However that is a long way to go to avoid a little traffic around BR. I-12 to I-10 thru BR is the fastest, but just like any city avoid the rush hour's hope there are no accidents and you will be fine.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago there was a ferry that was located at New Roads north of Baton Rouge not sure if it is still operational.

Took my old pop-up on that route a few times.

UPDATE

Just looked the New Roads ferry is closed however there are two ferry's operating 15 minutes south of Baton Rouge on LA 75 at Plaquemine.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are going WEST your best bet is thru Baton Rouge on I-12. Best times are weekends (except LSU home game ones) and non rush hour on week days. Once you merge to I-10 in BR you want to get into one of the left two lanes as they are the ones that cross the bridge.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
You can try to take US-190 around the outer side of Baton Rouge. Traffic on city streets is likely to be more stressful than on the interstate.

The big problem is there isn't a bridge across the Mississippi north of the Baton Rouge US-190 bridge until you get to Natchez, MS. That turns a 315 mile trip into a 460 mile trip.

South of the I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge the next bridge across the Mississippi is the LA-70 bridge near Donaldsonville. Which puts you on the West Bank in the middle of nowhere.

Some might think going through New Orleans and then US-90 across the swamps is a good route. It adds 45 miles or so to the trip. The traffic through New Orleans is never better than the traffic in Baton Rouge.

US-90 is a great scenic drive. It is SLOW, it is frequent stops for construction - and the road suffered several damaged bridges and washouts during the recent flooding.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah I-12 is the bypass. It's really only rough for a few miles right in BR (as of last Feb). Be sure you have enough fuel to make it to Breaux Bridge. The stretch from Baton Rouge west is 2 lane raise bridge with only a single exit between the 2.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
I-12 from Slidell to BR is the correct route, but traffic is heavy since the flooding, it may be better when you go thru

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
take 12 through Baton Rouge, rather than following 10 all the way down to New Orleans.. Baton Rouge isn't horrible.. I have driven through worse, including Atlanta
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, no good alternative

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The only bypass would also be bad. It would be thru New Orleans area. For BR hit it between 10 and 3. There can be a backup at any time. West to east is worse than east to west.